1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Old Were You When You Became Aware of Your Sexuality?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by bsg75apollo, Jan 27, 2022.

1. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A girl and I kissed in elementary school, a friend of mine, and it was indescribably powerful. Wow.
    The guy side wasn’t clear to me, in part because society didn’t give models for that (especially since I liked girls, so I knew I wasn’t gay). But now with reflection I see there were clues back to middle school that I liked guys sometimes too, and how that makes a lot of sense. Originally (look at early messages here on EC) I thought I was a straight ally. Which means I felt like my bisexuality came as a shift, and to the fore just a few years ago when I started fantasizing about guys all the time (late in life, after raising kids).

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello All.....I don't know for sure if this qualify's but here goes. Starting when I was 8 years old the was a group of 15-16 boys who would get together on Saturday afternoon and play basketball at the elementary school outdoor court out in the country where we lived. Of course we had no uniforms, so one team had to be "shirts" and the other team had to be "skins". I can still remember looking forward to those Saturday afternoon games. I really didn't care who won but I sure did care who was on the "skins" team! :old_smile: I had certain favorites and I would always cheer for their team! When I got to be on the team with them it was even better!! :old_big_grin: That went on from about 3rd grade until we had to go into town for junior high school. For some reason the games just faded away around that time, but I always remembered those Saturday afternoons!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The mere thought of having to be on the skins tea, would hy- ave been one of my worst nightmares come to life.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my mid to late 20's

5. I Love Dory

I Love Dory Guest

i dated my first girlfriend in 5th grade but wasn't sure what i identified until last year.

DinoTail likes this.
  6. eron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Always had an underlying same-sex attraction since teen years, but didn't fully appreciate it until my forties.

Joolz66 and Gay Brett like this.
  7. GazesToClouds

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Early twenties so like, a year or so ago

8. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was in early high-school, probably around 15?

The couple years before, I had same-sex attractions and thoughts, but somehow wasn't really aware of them lol

9. Robyn mac

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was 56 when I discovered my attraction to men.

10. KaiOfBees

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Looking back, there were... definitely signs, let's say, that I was attracted to women. I also had male crushes at the time. But I grew up very conservative and managed to convince myself I was totally ace. Around age 14-16 I had a breakthrough in acknowledging my feelings about women, and then after coming to terms with my gender ID a few years later I was able to stop repressing my attraction to men.

ThxSens8 likes this.
  11. Jynx07

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    i started thinking i may be part of the community from a very young age. probably about eight if i had to guess. i became aware of my sexuality completely when i was 11 though

12. Gay Brett

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With hindsight I would say I began having gay thoughts ( that weren’t sexual ) during early childhood. I wanted to play with girls more than boys and hated playing sports. In my teens I started masturbating to thoughts of have gay sex and kissing attractive men I saw in movies and on TV. It would be years later when I would do this with people I knew in real life. I also never felt comfortable in locker rooms with lots of naked men, and had a fear of showing my excitement of seeing them.

At a young age I was a very girly boy but learned to mask this quickly. I wouldn’t say I was aware of my sexuality but I was definitely being the gay person I am. At this time I was so happy being gay ( again in a non sexual context) before I knew what it was and figured out I “shouldn’t” be this way.

Thankfully I’ve returned to being very feminine and very gay and I am happy once again. And it being in a sexual context now only makes it better:slight_smile:

Contented likes this.
  13. buzzer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was about 10 years old when I developed a crush on my school bus driver (this was when high school kids drove school buses). The following year I had a new bus driver who was as cute as the previous one. I developed a crush on him as well. It was then when I realized that I that I had an attraction to boys and that I was gay, although I couldn't talk about it with anyone at the time.