1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out bi in monogamous hetero marriage

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by ThxSens8, Feb 1, 2022.

1. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi everyone,

I just discovered this forum a day ago and thought I'd join – and I think I've possibly written too much for my first post... If you just want to skip down to my final two questions, that's totally cool.

Anyway, my goal is to come out bi, but remain with and faithful to my wife. I'm not considering the idea of an open marriage. I just want to be true to who I know I am, and to be an example to my two kids so they know they will be accepted no matter who they are.

So the past few years I've been going through the process of accepting who I've always known I am.

A big key stepping stone in that process was discovering the Wachowskis' series Sense 8. For those who don't know it, it's a kind of sci-fi series in which 8 people from around the world discover that they are connected (I'll avoid spoilers). Anyway, through the show, I basically fell in love with all 8 of them (and many of the other characters). There is a lot of queer and trans representation in the series, and I realized that I've been repressing this side of myself all of my life. I have had crushes on both girls and boys since childhood.

As I started waking up over the past several years, I first accepted that I was just curious, but I've since come to the conclusion that I am fully bisexual and could see myself in a long-term, loving relationship with a woman, man or transgender person if I found them attractive and had an emotional connection.

My wife and I have gay friends and we are both firmly against trans and homophobia. She has always admitted that she finds some women sexy, but has never expressed the idea that she might be bisexual. One time on a long car trip when the kids were sleeping, I admitted that I would be interested in the idea of fooling around with a man out of curiosity, and she was proud of me for admitting that. On the other hand, early on in our relationship I remember her complaining that all the guys she was interested in during school or college turned out to be gay, which I took that as a sign that I should remain in the closet, but I don't think that's true anymore now that I know that I don't have to be just straight or just gay.

I always thought I had to choose and "decided" that I would be straight. After all, I really did like girls and life was sooooo much easier that way.

One reason that I am thinking of coming out is that a cousin of mine recently came out on social media, explaining that the "friend" she was living with was actually her wife. I wrote her right away and told her I was proud and supported her fully. I have toyed around with the idea of telling her (or a gay friend) about my truth, but I want to be able to tell my wife that she is the first person I'm coming out to. That's important to me.

I have a feeling that it will go well, but I'm still nervous and I'm expecting her to ask me if I want to experiment. The honest answer will be both yes and no. I do fantasize about experimenting, but that is it. Yes, I've never slept with a man, but I've also never slept with a Black, Asian or, hell, even a tall woman. That doesn't mean I "have" to do all these things.

I love my wife deeply – and I know she loves me, too – and I want to stay with her. But I also want to share this side of me with her. We were having some problems in bed as I've been going through this process. I'd get confused when we were intimate and my mind would wander between fantasies of other women, other men and back to my wife. Now that I've fully accepted and even like the fact that I'm bisexual, our sex life has improved a lot. We have a really good sex life at the moment and it's largely because I've accepted myself and am no longer confused by thoughts.

Eventually, I'd like to come out on social media. For myself, but also in support of my cousin and in support of the musical community I'm involved in. About three bi men (one married to a women like me) that I know on social media have come out, and that has encouraged me to also be open to who I am and maybe influence another person myself.

Once I'm out to my wife, I'd like to come out publicly on Bi Awareness day or Coming Out Day. It's kind of a new year's resolution that I'm not 100% committed to.

For those who have taken the effort to read this and maybe even send me a message of support, thank you.

I just have a couple questions still, but I'll start other threads on them at another time. For now, thank you all for this site and your time.

2. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, at the beginning of my post I mention my "two final question". I decided last minute to delete them and make them in to threads of their own at a later time :slight_smile:

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

You will others on EC who are or have been in a similar situation, and I hope that you find the support you are looking for here.

4. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! Coming out yourself is already a great first step. :slight_smile: Whenever you're ready to talk to your wife, I'm sure it'll go well. It sounds like she's very accepting, and like you're in a good position to do so.

5. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. I hope you are right. Spending 40 years denying what's in your heart is a hard thing to overcome. I'm crying writing this. I'm so close to being ready, but I'm so very scared. It feels good to write this even if it's totally anonymous.

6. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

7. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi I am Bi and married to a woman coming out was the hardest thing took me 7 years into my marrage to finally get the courage

8. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going on 12 years and we have two kids. She's really the love of my life.

How did it go for you?

9. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you Bigemini and Rayland, too!

10. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would've say it took me 12 years to get courage. It's only the past 3 years or so that it's become something that I want to share.

11. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    *wouldn't

Is there any way to edit typos?

12. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Went better then I thought she knew I was either Bi or Gay

13. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ThxSens8.....Hello and a great big LGBTQIA+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: I can remember the first post that I made on EC. I was desperate for help and I got the help that I so needed. I hope that we can help you in the same way that I received help so many years ago. The most important thing to remember about Empty Closets is that we do care about you! I understand what it feels like to hide the real you for so long. I hid my sexuality from the world and my wife for over 40 years before the pressure became so great that I almost took my own life. The wonderful people here on Empty Closets saved me from myself and I finally did come out to my wife. She was accepting and we have stayed together. It's not easy to go against the heteronormative society that we live in...even now when it's starting to get better...it's still difficult. It's sounds to me like your wife will be accepting like mine was...I so hope that she will understand how difficult it is to live life as two different people and will accept you, letting you be the real you all the time. So for now why don't you jump into Empty Closets...there are a number of sub-forums here on EC...why don't you check them out and then feel free to join in the conversations! In particular there is a sub-forum titled “Sexual Orientation” if you post there I think you’ll find people who will understand what you are dealing with. This is a safe community of caring and supportive people and we will do our best to help you blend into the community. You can ask questions in any of the Sub-forums by creating a new thread or by joining in a conversation-thread that is already going. You can also post a message on anyone's Profile Page after you have made at least ten posts yourself. If you have a question that is somewhat private you can always send a Private Message to any Staff Member. Normally Private Messages can only be exchanged between two Full Members, but a PM to a Staff Member is an exception. :old_wink: We are so glad that you have found us here on Empty Closets. :old_big_grin:
    …..David :gay_pride_flag:

14. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi ThxSens8, Welcome to EC
    I am also a guy who came out as bisexual after marriage and I’m monogamous with my wife and out to everyone.

15. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How was the experience? Do you ever get your sexuality "challenged" by others? I think being bi in a straight relationship is an interesting situation, and I'm curious how I'm going to navigate it. It seems like I'll have to "come out" over and over again, because it won't be apparent to most people, unless I start putting a pride or bi flag on my stuff, haha.

I'm also slightly worried about coming out to my boss, who is gay and another colleague who is gay. I'm very curious to find out if they are believers in the idea that you're either one or the other.

16. Ron961

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome! Good that you've signed up and posted.

I too came out to my girlfiend a couple of months ago. I told her that I have had bisexual thoughts for a long time in my life and that she should know this in order to fully accept and love me. Luckily she did.

17. Androginy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome and congratulations for it! I had a gf who never knew I was bi, I was so afraid of it and made it difficult. Today Ive an straight relationship but really strong because of the confidence

18. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, I discovered this forum and came out to my wife less than a week later. This forum was the confidence boost I needed. (I shared my story in another thread)