1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help Me Work Out What the Hell is Going On...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Kate 47, Mar 15, 2020.

1. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out, its great that it just happened and you didnt in the end need to do any more thinking about who you might be able to tell. You might feel a bit awkward next time you see him (you also might not) but that is perfectly normal either way.

You dont need to rush into a relationship but you never know, its nice to leave the option open......just in case.

2. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take it at your own pace. On another note, I work with young people within the care sector, it’s been a stressful year, so thank you for all the work you do!

Kate 47 likes this.
  3. Kate 47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    WELL. I'm back again. Nothing much happened over Christmas and new year, except that I did feel more accepting of myself. I'm conscious that I'm dressing slightly differently recently too, less feminine and more in the things I like. My counselling tutor is definitely NOT gay (I was surprised, I was getting such a vibe from her) - we went to a colleague's wedding and she mentioned her other half a few times and told us about what HE does and what HE'S like etc, so I was wrong there.

Anyway, at work over the last week I've got friendlier with another female colleague and we'd worked together on a task with one of her classes and them opening up about things, and when we were chatting afterwards she mentioned something about some of her class (age 16-17) being confused about sexuality and unsure about LGBTQ issues and stuff... and I said something like 'haha, it's not just them. I'm also... not straight' and she was immediately really supportive and nice. She said something about how ohhh, that made sense and things about me then fell into place, and she asked loads of questions and listened and it felt good. A few days after that I contacted our local LGBTQ support group to find out about groups and about talking to people. Not heard back yet, but I will try to go to something if I can. Then last night I posted something on instagram about possibly looking into dating apps, and one of my other friends started messaging me about what sort of guys I was looking for... so I said well ACTUALLY, it's not guys.... so then we had a chat. And then a second instagram friend asked similar, and I said the same to her. So then I posted it publicly on instagram and now quite a few of my friends know.

We've got a work thing next Friday night, going out for a colleague's birthday, there will be me, the nice colleague who knows, the birthday person who I get on really well with, our lovely gay male colleague (the only out gay person I know at work) and his husband, so I'm feeling as though this might end up with me telling more people in person, which I feel pretty good about.

I don't feel too much any more that I'm labelling myself as old and fat, apart from in a joky way. There's no point me pretending that I'm 23 and a size 10. I'm just me and if people don't like that they can lump it. I've been quite happily single for over 10 years so even if nothing happens and I'm single for another 10 years then that's not a bad thing.

4. Kate 47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    AND I just updated my profile thing on the left there. :slight_smile:

Love2sleep likes this.
  5. Really

Woohoo!
    For all of the above. :slight_smile:

Kate 47 likes this.
  6. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it’s amazing that you’re feeling comfortable in your own skin and able to express that to your friends! X

Kate 47 likes this.
  7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

To be honest for not a lot happening it sounds like quite a lot. There may not have been one huge moment but there have been loads and loads of positive steps in the way you have been feeling and the fact you have been able to talk to some people at work about it and some friends. These are all great moments and actually probably the most positive part of all is that you feel like not much has happened as it has all felt good and natural. Hopefully this process with just keep progressing.

8. Kate 47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I kind of joined a dating app (seems ok, not that I know much of dating apps in the last 15 years!) and somehow I may be meeting up with someone called Emily next weekend. So... yeah. I'm fluctuating between feeling positive and feeling ridiculously scared and wanting to cancel.

#28 Kate 47, Feb 8, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2022
  9. Really

Woot woot! Don’t cancel! You’ll be great. She’ll also be nervous. Meeting someone for the first time is always nerve wracking. And remember, you never have to see her again if you don’t like but if you don’t take a chance, you’ll never know what you missed out on. If she’s already agreed to meet up, you must have something going for you. ;]
    Just think of it as a chance to get out and do something new. Gawd knows we all need that these days. :|

#29 Really, Feb 8, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2022
    TinyWerewolf likes this.
  10. Kate 47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I won't cancel, but I feel a bit like it! I know I've got nothing to lose, if nothing else I'll have met someone new and been to a new place (we're meeting half way and going for a walk somewhere that looks nice). I can't realistically see it being a relationship as I'm not sure we have a huge amount in common and we do live a good hour and half, 2 hours apart. But she seems nice and I wouldn't be doing anything else that day anyway.

11. Kate 47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The vast majority of people on the app though... sheesh! SO many to swipe left on. Maybe I'm massively fussy. But I can't get over how many women have one photo that's airbrushed to oblivion, or eleven identical photos with puppy ears, heart shaped freckles or bunny noses. Or a photo of a cat and zero profile info.

12. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree with @Really don't cancel. Even if there is no relationship it is all good experience. It is totally natural to be nervous and it is a good thing, even if it doesn't feel like it.
    I haven't been on a dating website for a longtime but I can totally imagine. Just remember you don't need lots of great women, eventually all you need is the right one.

out2019 likes this.
  13. Kate 47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah... so I cancelled. I mean, I rationalised it by saying the weather forecast was horrendous, which it really is, and shall we postpone to another week, but I can't do next week and she can't do the week after, so... yeah.

14. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don’t beat yourself up. I did once postpone a meeting for the same reason. We then agreed another date for a few weeks later and she couldn’t make it when it came to it. She then told me she wasn’t really looking for a relationship, and we stopped chatting. She got back in touch several months later, but I told her that I didn’t think we really had that much in common, which I think we both probably knew anyway.

You can’t win them all, and you don’t need to! Also, the weather is bad today. :slight_smile:

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @LostInDaydreams says dont beat yourself up about it. If your weather is anything like I have today it is not a day to be outside. You will either keep chatting until you can both make a new date or the chatting will die off which probably means nothing would ever have come of it anyway. Sometimes it takes us a few goes to do these things.

16. Kate 47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To be honest, there wasn't much chatting anyway. I have no idea why she wanted to meet me really. She is very outdoorsy and active (which I do like) and said on her profile that she isn't glued to her phone, but we've only really exchanged a few messages. In a way I liked the idea of not wasting ages chatting before meeting (I've done that with men in the past, back in the day, when you chat for ages before you meet and then meet and there's nothing, so it all seems a waste) but there hadn't been much of a connection so far anyway.

17. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe she wanted to meet you because she thought you sounded nice?? Just a thought :wink:.
    I think everyone goes about things slightly differently. It is difficult to ever know if there is a total connection before you have met in real life. Do you have a kind of type in your mind about your 'ideal woman'?

18. Kate 47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe... she didn't say that though! So I don't know.

As for who I'm looking for, I really don't know! But I'm attracted to people who are cheerful and enthusiastic, open and honest with no silly mind games. I feel as though I have zero clue what I'm doing with wlw relationships so she'd need to have a clue and take the lead. And I suppose physically I don't go for very feminine types, I've been swayed by all the Tiktok mascs with their waistcoats and cheekbones and undercuts.

19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only she knows I guess.
    It doesn’t matter if you don’t have a type or don’t know. I found the question about what kind of women I liked really strange when I was first coming out. I don’t know if I felt like it was a taboo subject or it was because I hadn’t really thought about it or I genuinely didn’t know.

i

20. Kate 47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suppose I've been minimising and repressing my feelings for women for so many years that I find it hard to know what's attraction and what's just admiration or friendship!