1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Were you ever told that you were "mature for your age" but wish you weren't?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is probably a bit specific, but have you ever felt like this? From a young age, I was told that I acted older than I was. That I was wiser than my years. I'm not saying this to brag, rather it actually felt isolating to an extent. Since it felt like I was being held to a higher standard and that I was strange. Gradually I started to actively dislike being told this and the first time someone told me that I was the exactly like they were at my age I felt so happy. I felt like I was on-track for once in terms of expectations. That was when I was nineteen. Currently I'm twenty-two as of the time of this post.

I think it's been this way for a while. This expectation that I know what I'm doing, it wasn't always this way though. My childhood was filled with mixed messages, some people called me worthless and told me that I was doomed to fail whereas others had this bizarre level of faith in me that I would succeed.

There's sort of a side of me that wishes that someone would recognise that I have no clue what I'm doing, that they would validate me in this feeling. Yet at the same time, not write me off. I know that everyone feels this way to an extent.

I guess what I'm trying to communicate here is that I always felt like I had to be the responsible one. Even as a teenager. I was never particularly the risk-taking sort, unless you pushed me to my limits. I remember as a teenager being told that it was not realistic for me to play the part of a teenager, that I should play the parent role instead in a drama piece. Now that I'm in my twenties, I have taken risks that I never would have done as a teenager. I'm still viewed under this lens of being mature for my age, so my impulsivity can come as a surprise to others.

Whenever I read or watch content about teenage development, I feel strange. A fair amount simply doesn't apply due to circumstance. I feel as though I lost most of my teenage years dealing with depression. Heck I was debating the purpose of life with myself when I was ten. I think I've been introspective to a fault from quite a young age. This can be beneficial, but it also means a tendency to spiral. Frankly, looking back on photo albums, it's been surprising to see how much good my brain ignored to focus on the bad stuff. I've mellowed with time, but it still feels odd whenever I'm happy for no particular reason. When there's no focus for that happiness, it's just contentedness...without underlying worry. It's...yeah...hopefully someone here knows where I'm coming from and this doesn't just sound nonsensical.

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While growing up, I was told the opposite. That I looked to have fun and laugh. I suppose I could be serious enough to get the job done.

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Canterpiece.....I have felt the same way most of my life but for different reasons. My parents divorced when I was 8 years old and my new step father didn't have a clue what to do with an eight-year old. As a result school became my safe place and studying became the thing I did to prove to him and everyone else that I wasn't stupid because I didn't know how to work on the engine of a car...at eight years old! The school wanted me to skip fourth grade but I refused as I was already young for the class I was in due to starting school in another state with different rules. I thought that moving up a class would only make everything worse. It turned out that my effort to make up for not getting along with my stepfather or being able to help him work on cars...which he did all the time, just made things worse. The better my grades and the more awards I received at school, the worse our relationship became. I started college at 17. He died in a car accident about a month after I started college, my mother sold the house and moved from Washington (where we lived) back to Oklahoma where the family came from. I boxed up all of my belongings into two large boxes and moved to back to college permanently. So there I was again being so mature for my age...in charge of my life completely at 17. I was terrified and wanted someone to lean on. I wanted to be part of a family, but as far as I was concerned I had never had a family. All around me were "kids" who were away from home for the first time and were so excited about being on their own to a limited degree and I cried myself to sleep at night more often than not. I did the only thing that I knew how to do and threw myself into my school work. Just like you, I felt that I lost my teenage years...I also felt like I lost most of my childhood. I really hate telling this story because it's so dark. So yes, there is someone here that knows where you are coming from and it certainly doesn't sound like nonsense. The best thing I can tell you is that at some point we have to make a choice to either wallow in self-pity or pick ourself up and find a way to accomplish something with our lives. I have managed to find happiness and joy in my three sons and my eight grandchildren. I also spent 41 years in a job that I truly did love and still miss now that I've retired. I can wish that things had been different, but they weren't and I have survived. I guess we just have to do our best to find a path that allows us some happiness, even when it's not easy.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

4. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was never told it, but I always felt like I have to be more mature and wiser, than others, because it felt like it was expected from me, since I am the oldest child in my family and I was always left to watch the younger children around the area, where I live as well. I don't think I have ever wished I wasn't mature. It has it's own perks. People trust you more and let you be on your own more, but it does put pressure on you, like you have to live up to those expectations. It's important to know, what you are capable of and what you are not capable of doing. If you know, that you are not capable of doing something, then it's okay to ask for help and not just struggle alone, because you are expected to be more capable, than others. It can cause more harm, than good. This is something, that I have experienced and had to learn on my own.

5. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was told that a lot as a child. It was always meant as a positive, but the truth was I often felt like I was taking a parent role with my mother. She couldn't (can't) hold down a job and we were never financially stable. When she was working, I had to basically live at home alone and keep up with the household chores because, by the time she got home, she didn't have the energy to deal with it. It's hard to be a teenager when you're watching your mother juggle foreclosure notices.

I don't know if I feel like I missed anything. It's the only life I've known. I can't imagine anything else.

6. CatSpinner

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was only told by my aunt that when I was a teen. I remember being in high school and overhearing conversations from other girls talking about screaming and throwing tantrums and it really made me think about what she said . As I'm getting older, I feel I'm actually becoming more immature. I lose my patience with people and people things more. It didn't use to be like that.

7. CatSpinner

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry, I meant to say "people and things" not "people and people."

8. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, but on the same theme as others have said…a sibling had died a year before I was born. I was born to a house full of still grieving people, which basically meant I was trying to be as low maintenance and low visibility as possible from a really young age. I don’t think it was that I was an “old soul”. I think I had to grow up fast. That and there was never a sense of innocence or joy there. And that’s before talking about the soul sucking churches we went to when I was a kid.

9. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not to toot my own horn, but I was a "pleasure to have in class", "mature for my age"....you name it. As you and others have said, I think it has a lot to do with mental illness, the closet, trauma, and getting responsibilities not really meant for a child (whether it was an actually physical responsibility, or just an adult off loading adult worries and issues onto a kid)

Yuppp. I really had a delayed adolescence and did a lot of "teen" exploration stuff in my 20s. Some of the "tame risks" I took in my 20s, people are still surprised I've ever done it lol.

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I was always considered mature for my age and my interests in life have typically been on a more mature level. It's not that I take life very seriously, but I've always been attuned to the seriousness of life and that's kind of led me on a different curve, at times. In many ways that mature outlook has protected me when dealing with big life issues and problems.

11. BraxtonBT205

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm pretty mature for my age...most of the time. There are times when I enjoy letting my 'inner kid' out. You're only young once.

12. Parker22

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unfortunately, I was in a similar situation as you. I am a AFAB trans male. I have two amazing brothers and out of us three, my parents would say "you're the female, the responsible, mature one." Some days I took it in stride and enjoyed the title of the "mature kid". Other days I would wallow in doubt and anxiety because of the pressure my parents put on me. As I got older, adults would call me disrespectful because I acted way older than my age, trying to be on par with the adults. I was doing what I was taught, be mature and act like an adult. Sadly many parents do this unconsciously, some consciously. All I could do was re learn and endure the never ending punishments and insults, and things and friends being taken away from me by my parents. Surprisingly this still happens to me to this day. But hey, what can I do, right?

13. missmsms

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, since age 8 I were taller than adults making it difficult to find friends of appropriate age and causing mockeries among peers since I were taller and looked 20+ when I were 8 so making any mistakes were met with “you should be more knowledgeable/mature...”

14. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes haha I think since I was first really aware of my own existence, I was aware that people around me felt I was very "mature".

I think its partially due to being ND in a time where that was something parents were ashamed of, as well as sexual trauma from a very young age.

I remember my sister (3 yrs older than me) would get reprimanded less and were more gentle with her emotionally. My dad explained to me

15. RD Spencer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It was the other way around for me.

I always seemed immature for my age, as a teenager and into adulthood. Even when I was being more responsible and accountable than my peers I just seemed kid like. At least from what I can tell.

16. Loves books

I am the oldest of a group of 7 cousins. My mum’s three kids and my aunts four kids. We currently range in age from 30 (me) to 18(youngest cousin). I always had to be the most mature one, the good example. I hated that when they got to whatever age I had been they weren’t held to the same standards. I do view the 18yr old as being young and immature even though I felt the opposite at that age. Even though we only saw our cousins a couple of times a year I was still the oldest of a three kids and I had to be the more mature one always. But I was a quiet kid, my hobby was reading and I usually had my nose stuck in a book. All these later and the only difference is a kindle instead of a book.

17. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suspect myself of being ND, however I was passed around the system and never really received a proper diagnosis in anything (except selective mutism for a short while as a young child - speech therapy helped with this and it's no longer an issue). Rather, I was just branded as being vaguely difficult and lazy. There were often ushered conversations about my problems, I heard conversations about my potential future. I had a rather unprofessional counsellor who yelled at me for not being normal and told me I'd never amount to anything. So to an extent, I can understand that feeling of others being ashamed of your issues or abnormalities. I also grew up in a neglectful school where I had to look after younger children as our teachers would leave the premises unattended for long periods of time. There were stressful situations I remember where I had to stop kids running into danger. So, I had to grow up fast in a sense. I used to assume what I went through was normal, but it wasn't until I got older and I started talking about it with others that I realised it wasn't.

Personally I was in that odd spot of "Sure, she's eccentric, but she's average in a lot of areas, she's even above average in others, granted she's showing severe issues in problem areas, but it averages out so she's typical and doesn't need help" or "You don't seem like the type". I learnt how to hide my issues to an extent, however it became trickier as I got older. Often I felt pressure to hide them since otherwise I'd be criticised for making up problems / faking it, not trying hard enough or just generally being a problem child. However, my parents were never ashamed of me, especially since my dad is ND. Our issues present in different ways though. He's always been fascinated by that difference and would offer me advice. My dad would remind me of the areas I was good at as well, and he'd tell me stories of what it was like growing up with a NT sibling. Comparing it to how my sister is likely NT. However, she shows traits to a lesser extent. (I'm using ND here as a catch all term for all neurological differences).

I'm sorry to hear about your trauma.

#17 Canterpiece, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022