1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexual People : When Should We Tell Our Partners We're Bi?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by gasqueman, Dec 17, 2021.

1. gasqueman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've liked this guy for a while since high school. We weren't really that close when we were still classmates together but we reconnected after graduation, reminiscing those terrible wonderful awkward memories. At this stage of our relationship, we've both sent each other really flirty messages. I think he wants to take the next step in the relationship. However, if we do so, when should I tell him that I'm Bi?

I truly believe honesty and communication are integral parts of a relationship. I do want to disclose that I'm Bi to my partners when I'm ready, but how soon is too soon? Should it be at the first date straight on, or should it be later on when we've gotten to know each other a little better?

2. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Once I knew, I told people I was into upfront that I'm bi. I've been both rejected and accepted after doing so. It's better to do it early on before anything serious develops I've found, because if that's going to be a problem they can leave and you can move on with your life a lot easier. One time that rejection happened between a close friend and I who had a crush on each other, and that sucked. I got over it a lot easier though because I told him immediately after we knew the feelings were mutual (wouldn't have worked out anyway because he's straight and I figured out I'm a trans guy after that). Now with my girlfriend I got asked about how long I've known, how I got outed and went back in the closet, how many guys and girls I've dated, and we talked about celebrity crushes (she's also bi). It can be a little nerve wracking but either way it will make your life easier in the long run.

gasqueman likes this.
  3. gasqueman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh man. Okay, I guess I'll tell him soon. Maybe after I find out what his opinions are on LGBT people. If he's supportive of the movement, then I'll tell him.

But I don't think I want to out myself that easily to people I don't really know that well. I think people don't really have the right to know anyone's sexual orientation without voluntary disclosure you know. There's a fine balance between honesty and "none of your business" when it comes to sexual orientation IMO.

4. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, @gasqueman! I think once you know for sure he's interested in taking the next step, it would be a good time to disclose your bisexuality. Or even soon after you start dating would be all right, I think, so long as you don't put it off too long. Like @TinyWerewolf said, you don't want to drop it once things get serious because then it could cause hurt on both sides.

It's also important to make sure the lines of communication between you are open: so if he has any questions or concerns, you can answer and assuage them respectively. I know all of this is easier said than done, of course, but I think offering honesty from the start will be a major point in your favour.

If/when you do it, I hope it goes well! :slight_smile:

#4 BiGemini87, Dec 17, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    gasqueman and TinyWerewolf like this.
  5. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you don't want to come out yet don't feel pressured to, that's just my experience with this scenario. You get to be the one who decides what's best for you to do at the end of the day. He may have questions if you do though, just so you know.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  6. gasqueman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @BiGemini87 @TinyWerewolf Thanks for the advice! I think this doesn't only apply when you're dating straight people I guess lol.
    I'd be sad if he doesn't want to continue seeing me going forward, but staying true to ourselves is more important.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  7. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're welcome. :slight_smile: I agree with that, coming out to your partner at some point is important whether straight or LGBTQIA+. I wish you the best of luck!

#7 TinyWerewolf, Dec 18, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    gasqueman likes this.
  8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    @gasqueman First, I hope you are doing well.

You should tell this person as soon as possible, regardless if he supports the Community or not. Even if he might say, he is fine with it, you might find out he doesn't even know what Bisexual means, so you'll be the one in charge to educate him.

In my experience, there are very, very few heterosexuals that don't believe on at least one or two Bisexual myths. Perhaps my age is showing here and younger generations might be more accepting / well informed.

On the other hand, he might be truly understanding and not trying to change you. This is capital if you are looking for a future proof relationship, one in which both parties are free to talk openly to each other. Love is about respecting and loving the other for who she or he really is, not 'in spite of'.

Hope it goes well. Feel free to keep us posted if you want to.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like others said, it’s best to come out early to a potential partner. I think a lot of straight people are quite ignorant about LGBT+ issues. Some might be insecure and fear you will leave them. So, really it’s not the admission of your orientation that is an issue; it’s how the other person receives it.

CatSpinner and TinyWerewolf like this.