1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Makes Your Culture Unique? Share your art and other cultural items!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hawk, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey all,

For the month of November, we thought it would be interesting to share our different cultures, art, music or movies as many of us live in different parts of the world!

To start, there are rock structures in Canada that you'll typically only find in the Territories called Inukshuks. These were traditionally used by the Inuit as directional markers. An Inukshuk in the shape of a person signifies safety, hope and friendship. These stone sculptures were also important for navigation, as a point of reference, as a marker for hunting grounds, or to denote a food cache.

whistler-inukshuk.jpeg
    What are some things in your country or area that are unique to where you live?

#1 Hawk, Sep 4, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2021
  2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first thing that springs to mind in London (UK) culture, where I grew up, is Cockney Rhyming Slang - you guys probably already know that it's a slang language that substitutes phrases for certain words. Often the phrases are longer than the actual word, which is unusual for slang! "apple and pears" means "stairs", for example - and sometimes those phrases get abbreviated to make it even more confusing. "Minces" is short for "mince pies" which means "eyes".

Also in the East End, there is a tradition for people dressing up in extravagant black outfits made out of pearls - they are called Pearly Kings and Queens. Traditionally working-class community leaders who work for charitable causes.

Attached Files:

3. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I guess the most unique thing about where I live is the geography. SE Minnesota is home to hills and valleys filled with Walnut, Oak, and Maple trees just to name a few. White-taled deer, turkey, pheasants, bald eagles and the occasional bear and bobcat can be seen. Even a moose once. And hour to the West and there are the beginnings of the prairies that streatcfh into the Dakotas. To the North the start of the once great forests of White and Jack Pines. To the South the vast fields of Iowa. They seem to be a mile square sometimes, corn and soybeans. To the East 20 minuits from where I am sitting, the great Mississippi RIver. Back in the day growing up most people where either German, English or Norwegian. Traditional small farms with critters dotted the landscape.

Years ago placier deposits of irion ore were found with about 10% of Minnesota's output during WW2. There is a system of caves in the area with one of them having an underground lake. One can also hear the sound of one of the rivers overhead, really cool sound.

No one sounds like the movie Fargo when speaking. :slight_smile:

Other than that nothing too exciting. Growing up it was just kinda white bread middle America. Thank God thats starting to change.

Maybe not what was intended, but like I said, nothing too exciting.

#3 johndeere3020, Nov 3, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  4. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think Persian carpet is one of my favourites. They're really exquisite.

#4 Vega222, Nov 10, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first thing that comes to mind, that is unique to Estonian culture is Estonian song and dance festival. These events are taking place in every 5 years in July, when a lot of people just cather in one city, mainly Tallinn, our capital city to sing and dance together. It all started with a singing revolution, what helped us to gain our independence, so the festival is a big deal.

6. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I live in a rural area of Kentucky where there's honestly not much besides cornfields and patches of forrested areas. I'll give this my best shot though. :wink:

Horses and agriculture are a big deal for the whole state and in this county. I'm going to highlight two examples.

Everyone here loves Derby Day, and you'll see a lot of people putting on their derby hats for the occasion. Derby hats remind me of the Victorian Era and are a bit over the top- they're often topped with jewels, feathers, tulle, and fabric flowers (and that could all be on the same hat).

Another community event is one I'm not going to mention by name so that there is now way anyone can figure out where exactly I live. It's basically a harvest time festival. Everybody breaks out the cowboy attire. There are food booths everywhere but the porkburgers are the best and everyone looks foward to them. There's pageants, the talent contest (my personal favorite), and the parade on Saturday. A lot of my good memories are spending parade day with friends.

7. xerixio

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Here in NC, we're right between the mountains and the beaches. Makes for some crazy weather.

8. Richew

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unallocated expanse. You can easily get lost even if you're a core wanderlust. Horseman's paradise

9. Richew

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's cool though, sounds like the outdoorsy type

10. Richew

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any of
    Any of those NYC kids, will swap places with you. No gardens for them

11. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would go crazy without being in nature. I wish I had a solution for the NYC kids other than a rooftop garden.