1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Once you know do you still question yourself sometimes?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TinyWerewolf, Nov 2, 2021.

1. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really get to express my gender identity anymore. I used to bind, have a men's haircut, use men's deodorant and bodywash, dress as masculine as my wardrobe would allow and actually get called by my preferred name and pronouns. Now I can't do any of that if I want to keep what little freedom I have earned back after being trapped by essentially going back in the closet. I act like I'm fine with it and wonder if being myself is worth losing my family.

2. Fiender

If your family was worth having, they would understand and let you be yourself without trying to force you into a metaphorical box.

FireFox, Mihael and GazesToClouds like this.
  3. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's pretty common to question yourself since transitioning can be a huge undertaking, which can lead to isolation from family and friends. I understand that no one wants to lose their family, but you have to decide what's more important to you, and they may come around with time. You have likely had years to deal with the fact you are transgender whereas when you told your family, they will likely need some time to deal with and process the news which can take some time.

Do you have a therapist or anyone you can talk to about this?

If you're still living with your family, can you do subtle things to confirm yourself until you're able to move out and live on your own?

4. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear that you have to go through this. One of the reason I'm in the closet is that my biggest fear is for my family to reject me and not aknowledge me and I still live with my parents too.

I do plan to come out, when I have a job and stable income, but I don't know, if I am even able to tell them my story, without freezing up, because of fear. I'm 30 and feel like my clock is ticking.

Your family might suprise you and be more accepting than you think. Just make sure you have a place to live, just in case, if you do decide to tell them.

I feel like it's worth it, because of your own happiness and for your well being as well. I'm getting to the point, where I'm willing to risk with it, but am waiting for the right time for it.

Whenever you wish to talk, then I will be happy to listen. And if you can, you should see a therapist.

Sending you hugs and I hope you get to come out and it works out for you very well.

5. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can relate. I'm currently out to most of my friends but not out to work or to my stepson. Without going into too much detail I am in legal jeopardy at the moment and if I were to be outed I could stand to lose absolutely everything. For the next few months at least I have to be patient and just remember my long term goal: to live as a fully transitioned trans woman.

Tiny werewolf, I'm guessing you're young, right? Just think of this as a short term compromise. It doesn't change who you are in your heart. Do you have friends who you are out to with whom you can be yourself? That has really helped in my case.

6. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel so sorry for you to hear you are in this position. It is certainly possible to have doubts later and wonder whether you are trans at all. I’ve gone through this stage several times. I also re-closeted myself for five weeks to avoid fights with my transphobic family while attending a family wedding. This was a huge mistake. Not only did I end up having a fight with my mother anyway but, worse than that, it’s taken me two years to shake that off and try and undo the psychological damage done both by her and by re-closeting myself. I will not be doing that again. It’s simply not worth it. I do have the advantage of living a long way away from them, though and it sounds like that’s not the case for you. Are there any safe spaces you can get to where you can present as and be your authentic self without compromising your safety while around your family, or ways in which you can have a more subtle expression of your masculinity that make you feel right without raising suspicion?

#6 Hats, Nov 3, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  7. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My immediate family knows. I the one time I lied about where I was found out. My parents trapped me in their house after I went into a major depressive spell. My mom has told me to my face that she will never accept me- I think she's even more homophobic and transphobic now that she knows. My sister and her husband wouldn't let me see their kids for a year after I was out to them; I only get to see them now because I went back in the closet. My brother told me I'm not trans because there were no signs when I was little (there really were but I was bottling all of my emotions up and keeping them to myself at the time).
    *TRIGGER WARNING*

The first thing my dad said to me was " If you need to know what gender you are just look down your pants." I wish I could just leave and not care ever again, but I'm stupid enough to try and forgive them over and over when they don't stop saying stuff like that.

I wish I had a therapist, I have a shit ton of trauma (a lot of it not even related to this). I went to a few different ones a couple years ago and not a one really accepted me. They told my parents what they really thought of me, and then my parents used that as anti-trans fuel. Now I only talk about it with my gf or best friend.

As for trying to do anything to affirm my gender, my mom gets mad at me for wearing women's button down shirts (especially the black one just because it's a dark color) or flannels.

I can't even look at my own face without hating it for being round and feminine sometimes but here I am trying to keep my head up.

I have two friends willing to take me in, but pretty much rest of the whole county is like my parents and I don't want to be anybody's burden.

I really appreciate everyone's support, it helps me feel like maybe I'm not a freak of nature or crazy like my family tells me.

8. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry you had to go back in too, that sucks. I honestly wouldn't wish it on even my worst enemy.

9. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i had a small group of people I was out to but I haven't been able to see most of them since I was cut off from everyone two years ago. Even my two closest friends thought I was dead for a while after a month or more of radio silence from me. I just hit my twenties this year, and the past two were hell in a handbasket.

I hate that you could lose everything, I'm so sorry! I hope it all works out.

10. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Question myself? No. I've never identified with being female, even before I realized I could be trans...but question my next steps, yes. Unfortunately.

Being trans is something that I can't help, and wouldn't choose to if I could. But hormones, surgery, even deciding who needs to know how much about the situation and when...it can be a lot to handle. It's a huge thing...it changes everything.

Dealing with family can be the most difficult step. I'm very sorry that you've been re-closeted...it's the worst feeling in the world, once you've had a taste of gender affirmation! I finally came out to my parents once I moved out of the house, and when I had to move back in due to financial reasons, it was like I'd never said anything at all. It was awful...still is awful. It might not be the time to advocate for yourself, if it will put you in any danger, but don't shelve yourself away either. Do you have people in your life who you can be yourself around? I don't know what your situation is like, but for me, the thing that keeps me sane is getting out as much as possible with people who reaffirm me.

ErickWolf, Rayland and FireFox like this.
  11. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do have a few friends, but I hardly ever see them because my mom doesn't like them. I'm sorry you had to go back in too, it really sucks.

ErickWolf likes this.
  12. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Any chance of getting out with them anyways? Like, if your parents don't like your friend, we'll call him Steve, do they need to know you're meeting up with Steve? Yes, what I'm suggesting is lying.

I didn't get my license until I was 23, and since I don't live in an urban area that made getting around more challenging. I hung out with friends with cars and dated men with cars. Once I was finally mobile, I got myself where I had to go...even when it involved some little white lies. I wasn't driving 40 minutes to go to a trans support meeting, I was going across town to get coffee, or meet someone my parents did know, or go to the library or something. I wasn't taking a trip to Philly to get information on medically transitioning, I was doing it to catch up with a friend I made there when I was in college.

Of course your ability to pull this kind of act off depends on the temperament and nosiness of your parents. But if you're in your young 20's, they really can't expect to police you forever. It also depends on your comfort with keeping things vague or secret. I only ever pulled out my little lies to cover up trans-related things when I needed to, before I was ready to come out...my parents never really had issues with me seeing anyone I saw, and if they did, they really couldn't stop me because I wasn't a child.

If you decide you need to go this route to meet your needs for affirmative socialization, realize that it does come with some risk of blowing up in your face. I'm definitely not suggesting you lie to your parents and do anything risky or dangerous. But just to like, hang out and play some video games or something with someone who respects you enough to gender you correctly? If they're going to try and prevent you, an adult, from doing that, they're being unreasonable, and foolish.

13. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They know my tells now, so in order to lie I have to do it by ommision. That's how I've able to see my gf in the past, playing it off as staying late or errands. They allow me to see my best friend but reffer to her affirming my gender as "filling my head with lies."

14. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know it hurts, but sometimes lying by omission is what we have to do for a while. I'm sorry things are so difficult for you at home. :frowning2:

Personally, I don't like having to lie. That's the gross irony of all of this, situations like ours - people want to point the finger at us, at our friends, for lying and filling our heads with lies when the truth is that we're being honest about things for the first time in our lives! It's frustrating to explain that though.

ErickWolf likes this.
  15. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Clockworkfox says some wise words here, Tinywerewolf. I think all of us end up having to use subterfuge of some kind, whether that's making up stories of where you've been or omitting information about ourselves over a long period of time.

Sure, I agree with being completely honest as much as I can be, but strict adherence to that sort of policy may well end up rebounding on yourself. Ultimately, you have to do what you must to protect your own mental health and if that involves some little white lies to loved ones, then so be it.

ErickWolf likes this.
  16. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really do hate lying, and I wouldn't if I didn't have to. I would get trapped in this house again though if I were honest. I refuse to let my friends think I'm dead again because I had no way to contact them.

If I had the courage I would leave this place because that would help my mental health. I also don't want to burden my friends or for my family to think I don't love them- and that's the cycle I've been in for a while. I can't even wear my own tie here.

ErickWolf likes this.
  17. FireFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It took quite a long time to accept myself but now I don't question it, what has taken its place is frustration towards closed-minded, quarter of a brain cell morons that inhabit this world that can't just leave us alone :unamused:

clockworkfox likes this.
  18. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I grew up in a Catholic school and get labeled as confused and selfish by my family here still. So instead of being angry at them I'll feel guilty and mad at myself. It's a vicious cycle I've tried to break.

ErickWolf likes this.
  19. FireFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You don't need to be guity for who you are and also towards your Catholic school just tell them at God made you this way, if they don't like it then they should contact technical support.

20. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That was a good come back, I'm stealing that and saving it for later.

I know shouldn't be guilty, but I'm not sure how to overcome that.