1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pansexual but not attracted to trans people? (No hate pls)

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Marss, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Marss

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi everyone, I am asking this question for a friend who hasn’t made a account on here yet and fears that they may get a lot of hate for talking about themselves like this.

My friend has had a hard time figuring out their sexuality and gender identity like me. Most recently she came out as gay/sapphic but began crushing on a guy…but they described their attraction to the guy being based on personality and non gendered things that she found sexy about him…(eyes, smile, expressions) but she doesn’t find men sexually attractive. (She also doesn’t mind male genitalia but doesn’t want sex with it)

She definitely finds a certain personality type attractive regardless of male or female. She can only describe it as being attracted to the vibe and personality of the human…she was thinking of labelling herself as pan or not labelling her sexuality at all. I think pan describes her attractions perfectly but she says she has never been attracted to trans people. ( maybe it’s because she doesn’t want to think about her previous dysphoria)

She has nothing against trans people but whenever she thinks about someone who is trans nothing happens for her. (romantic or sexual) She tried calling herself bisexual but it didn’t feel right for her and felt that it didn’t encompass all her unique feelings. She never said that she would never date a transgender person but just that she’s never felt anything romantic or sexual towards someone who was.

please no hate but it would be cool to hear other people’s opinions. I wish anyone who reads this wonderful things.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! When it comes to attractions, we are attracted to the person, personality, we are attracted to. We can't really change it or force it. Of course, over time things can change as we accumulate life experiences or we became aware of things that allow us to fall for someone.

I don't think your friend needs to be too concerned about not feeling anything or not falling for transgender persons. Never say never, but if she hasn't fallen for someone yet, it just hasn't clicked. And that's okay. I don't think it is all that healthy of making more about it than it is.

It would be worthwhile to spend the energy on figuring out her sexual orientation, and coming to understand herself first before trying to figure out where the attractions are. Chances are, the more she learns about herself, the more she will be able to find the person with whom it'll click. :slight_smile:

BiGemini87, Rayland and Marss like this.
  3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that it's sad when people give others hate, because of the label they choose. I think that if your friend feels comfortable with pan label, then it's very ok, to be pan. Even though I'm trans (I haven't transitioned) I haven't felt towards other trans people on social media an attraction to, even though there are good looking trans people out there and I don't know if bi is right either, because I haven't even been in a relationship. It's all confusing, but I'm sure you guys will figure it out. Good luck to your friend and to you as well. If she feels like signing up here, then she shouldn't be afraid. EC is a supportive place.

Marss likes this.
  4. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Labels are for products, not people. I feel for your friend - the mysteries of human attraction are too complex to be neatly filed on pre-ordained shelves. A shame more of us don't acknowledge (and celebrate) the nuances that make us the fascinating creatures we are..

And let's nip this one in the bud: it's not transphobic to not be attracted to trans folk. Different strokes for different folks. We just aren't some people's cup of tea and that's fine. Really.

Beth

#4 chicodeoro, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    Unsure77, BradThePug, Hawk and 3 others like this.
  5. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given the current climate (and to be honest, one that's been going on for several years, now) your friend's fears are totally understandable. Regardless of what some angry individuals might try to tell you or her, there is nothing the least transphobic about not being attracted to a trans person. A person's sexual appeal shouldn't be the means with which we measure their worth; you can be friends, respect, admire and experience a ton of positive feelings towards any person, trans or otherwise, but still not want them romantically. Why so many people conflate lack of attraction with transphobia I'll never know, since actual transphobia involves hatred, oppression, and violence.

I digress: your friend hasn't done anything wrong; sexual orientation is an immutable characteristic, and a person's inability to be attracted to certain types of people is beyond their control. Perhaps she'll wind up attracted to a trans person in the future, perhaps not--whatever the case, as long as she finds someone that she genuinely cares for and doesn't go out of her way to hurt anyone, that's what matters. :slight_smile:

Marss and Rayland like this.
  6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might find yourself being surprised one day. There was a particular ethnic group i was never sexually attracted to, even through all of my 20's. Then one day, i saw someone of that ethnic group that was really sexy, and ever since then there have have been dozens, hundreds, and probably thousands more that i find attractive.

Points being:

1 - politicising attractions isn't something that makes much sense, and you shouldn't feel ashamed about what you've described.
    2 - you might find your tastes changing one day, but it's ok if they don't

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everybody has their preferences, that is something thar we really cannot control. I think that this is something that has really been framed as people being transphobic. I don't agree with that at all, as I have had many friends who are super supportive of the trans community, but they are not attracted to transgender people. Like others have said, there is always the chance that it can happen, but that is not something to be pressured into. I would much rather have a person be honest, as I feel that is better for both parties.

Marss, LostInDaydreams and BiGemini87 like this.
  8. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For whatever reason, the pansexual label has seemed to be shifting from its intended meaning - attraction regardless of gender/gender not being an important factor in attraction - to a somewhat skewed interpretation of "attraction to more than two genders/attraction to men and women and gnc/trans people". I find this troubling for several reasons, not the least of which being that life is just too short to police other people's sexual identities. It really upsets me that so many people think that their ability to "really be pan" comes down to whether or not they've found themselves attracted to trans people, because that isn't the point of the label at all.

Trans people are a ridiculously diverse bunch, not just a "third option". You have binary and nonbinary trans people, some of us medically transition while other's don't, and that process of transition isn't one package deal, but a ton of small steps that can be opted for or out of at any time for any reason. Some of us are butch, some are femme, some are androgynous. Saying that pan people are definitively interested in trans people is like saying that they're interested in, I don't know, ice cream...they might think they're not discerning, but what if they just don't love pistachio?? Does their label suddenly come into question - are they no longer allowed to be ice cream lovers? Are they ice cream phobic because they aren't big on pistachio? If someone was a big frozen yogurt person, and they started developing a taste for one or two flavors of ice cream, do they need to rethink everything they know about frozen deserts?? Of course not, that doesn't make any sense.

Unfortunately, the pansexual label is becoming shorthand for people to do two things...either express interest in us by claiming it, or not give us a chance by not claiming it...saying things like "Oh I'm not interested in trans people, I'm not pan". We need to work together as a community to be careful with this trend, before it pushes past a tipping point. The fact is that you never know what you're going to get with trans bodies, so you can't really use labels to effectively convey interest or disinterest in us.

In regards to your friend, specifically...if she feels like pan is the best fit for her, then hooray, pan is the best fit for her! The pan label isn't contingent on having experienced attraction to trans people...it's not like a merit badge or something that you earn after putting your time in and documenting how diverse your dating history is. And it never should be. Just like gay people are still gay if they've never dated someone of the same gender, and bi people are still bi if they have preferences, pan people are pan no matter what their history looks like. All of the labels that we adopt are really just whatever fits best, because human sexuality is so remarkably diverse. And that's an awesome thing.

Marss, chicodeoro and Liza R like this.