1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Why don't you get married / don't you have a girlfriened"

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Warrior999, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Warrior999

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So when asked "Why I am not getting married" or "why I don't have a girlfriend". How am I supposed to respond? Especially to old generation family members, or conservative people around here.

To give people my background: I am a 28 years old gay man living in Canada. I have lived in my home country for about 25 or so years before moving to Canada. I come from a deeply religious and conservative Muslim family as well as country. Though I am out to my immediate family members and they have been pretty accepting of me, I am obviously not out to my extended family members (don't plan to either), or to my class mates or people back home.

However as someone nearly approaching 30, I get asked "Why don't you get married", "Why don't you have a girlfriend yet", "Do you like any girl" type questions a lot. I feel very uneasy when the topic of my marriage or girlfriend comes up. While I am not out to people in Canada either, I can at least come out to some of them if needed. However coming out to my extended family (aunts, uncles and so many distant relatives) is impossible. So whenever anyone asks, I say "I am not ready for marriage. I like to stay alone and live an independent life. So will marry when I feel the need." However, that still doesn't stop people from gossiping about me.

Even though I stay abroad, I am very close to my extended family back home and do have contact with them through zoom chats and whatnot. The culture back home was different to people in the west have; we lived in a joint family with several family members, and marriage is a much bigger deal for Muslim / South-Asian people than it is here in the west. Lots of people in the west do not get married, they can stay single, or have live-in relationships etc. It is very different in our community where I come from. Though I live in Canada, I still have a large number of Muslims and SouthAsian people around me asking about my marriage and whatnot.

This is a serious question. I need to know how to respond to these questions. I will never pretend to be straight and act like I have a girlfriend. But at the same time, I can't come out to whole extended family etc. So how do I respond?

P.S. Don't know where this thread belongs. So feel free to move it to the right section if needed.

2. GazesToClouds

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm thats a tough one, i cant speak to what its like having family who are religious as mine arent so my answer might not be the right one for you. If it were me i would kindly but firmly tell them that them asking that of you is not their business as you are free to take your time to find the right person. That would be my "peaceful response" for if you didnt want to offend anyone. My actual response would probably be me telling them to mind their own damn business as its your life and you get to chose when you are or arent ready to settle down. For things like this i find im very heavy handed so i wouldnt recommend this if your familial relations are somewhat fragile. Im sorry i couldn't have a good answer for you, i hope you find the answer you are looking for sooner rather than later

3. Warrior999

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I say: "I am not ready for marriage. I like to stay alone and live an independent life. So will marry when I feel the need. You don't need to bring proposals for me." This works for the most part. Most of my family members are not the 'pushing' types, but they do want the best of me, and marriage is a big part of life (moreso for people from my culture). They do want to know why I am not willing to settle down, and it's difficult to explain it to them.

And also "Why don't you have a girlfriend" to people in Canada. Again difficult to explain it to them since I am not out to most people.

4. GazesToClouds

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Have you considered just fully coming out? Im sure you probably have but it seems to me you could kill two birds with one stone so to speak, i cant know how that would effect your family relations though. Is Canada particularly anti-gay? Im from Australia so i wouldnt know but from what ive heard Canadians seem like a pretty accepting bunch as a whole. I dont really know though im just trying to brainstorm ideas for you.

5. Warrior999

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can come out to people in Canada (well, I can't do it right away but I can, given enough time), but I can't come out to extended family members. There are many who live in Canada, and trust me, most of them do not even understand gay/lesbian issue.

6. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a difficult situation, more so concerning your family members than any other people. Unfortunately, people seem to think it's socially acceptable to ask such probing, invasive questions, and it seems to be worse where family is concerned.

I figure with friends, acquaintances or strangers, uncomfortable as it still may be, it's easy enough to brush them off. You might even succeed in doing the same with family--for a time.

I wish I had a solution, but I don't. All I will say is, at some point in time you will reach a crossroads where you are faced with continuing to omit the truth/outright lie, or coming out with the truth and hoping for the best. Scary as it can be, if you are financially independent of your family and have your own living accommodations, coming out is something you are going to have to face sooner or later. Even if the truth causes issues between you and the family members in question, it's better to have let the truth out than to keep it bottled up indefinitely. It's not healthy and can take a toll on both your mental and physical health.

But this isn't to say you have to come out now. Take your time, go over how you want to phrase things and how you intend to do it. Everything at your own pace, in your own time. Just know that this is an eventuality if you mean to live an authentic life, and that no matter what they say, there is nothing wrong with you being gay. :slight_smile:

Warrior999 likes this.
  7. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could you split the difference? Just tell them you’re not interested in women right now. You haven’t met a woman you’re interested in (and just not fill in the second half of the equation just yet)? You don’t really want to get married (maybe ever). For that matter, do you want children (even if you eventually have a husband)? If not, maybe say that. It might disappoint them, but it might get them to back off once you’re past the initial shock and it’s not as inflammatory as telling them you’re gay. It lets them kind of start getting used to the idea that you’re not planning on living a “traditional” life.

I told my family in my 20’s I wasn’t getting married (without the gay part of the explanation) and they didn’t really ask questions. And, while not Muslim, they are fundamentalist Christian. It was always just assumed, as a child, that I’d be a wife and mother.

#7 Unsure77, Oct 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    Warrior999 likes this.
  8. Really

Maybe a gentle, “You know, I’m happy being single now. When things change, I’ll let everyone know.”

Warrior999, Fiender and Unsure77 like this.
  9. Warrior999

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First, thank you everyone for responding.

Unfortunately it's a very common thing in my culture/place where I come from (a South Asian Muslim major country). Thankfully my immediate family members are not like that (and I am out to them anyway), but I do have distant relatives who are like that. Luckily I don't have to listen to them or obey them, but still it's a difficult situation to explain when I am in a family gathering or something.

I understand and I don't plan to stay in the closet forever, which is probably why I went abroad in the first place (though I am back in my home country now for a short while but I will be going back shortly). I mean, once I didn't think I could come out to my parents either; they are fundamentalist Muslims, they didn't even understand what 'gay' or 'lesbian' means properly, and yet I managed to come out to them and despite their background, they have been very accepting of me. So I suppose people in Canada should be even more LGBT friendly (well most are), and it's time I slowly start to come out to them. I guess I cannot come out to older extended family members, but it's not needed either as I do not live on their expense. Thanks.

I understand what you are saying and I completely agree with you. Even if I was straight, I doubt I'd be up for marriage right now -- and certainly not on anyone else's preference. I am very introverted and independent, and like to live my life in my own terms. I don't even have a close friend in my life, so I doubt I'd have a girlfriend (even if I was straight) considering I barely talk/mix with people.

So I will say just that: "I prefer living alone and independently, so I am not thinking of having a girlfriend or wife at this moment. And if I do have one later, I will decide that and I don't want anyone else interfering with it. So please do not ask me for marriage/girlfriend as I am happy being single, and if I feel the need to settle down, I will do that in my terms."

And no I don't want children and your post resonated with me as you said you come from a religious fundamentalist family too.

BiGemini87 and Unsure77 like this.