1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My older sibling came out to me as bisexual (Female)

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Obliteratrix47, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a straight female and I have one older sister who's 5 years older than me. I didn't suspect she was bisexual for many years and it was back when I had no knowledge about the LGBT community. Lithuanians have been against gays since the 90s. She was straight until she developed feelings for a girl in her class at 12th grade (maybe she was 18 or 19). She didn't come out to our parents and me back then. My sister is very close to our older cousin and she's a straight ally, so I assume she was the first person my sister came out.

Looking back, it gave me a clue about her showing some signs. We were in our cousins' house. We watched a funny YouTube video (can't remember what the title is), there was a blonde girl, whose my sister found attractive. She said that she's so pretty in excitement. I'm not sure if it was an aesthetic attraction or a physical attraction.

My sister came out to when I told her about my homosexual intrusive thoughts (I didn't tell her that I have HOCD). I thought that she could be, but it's true. I'm not exactly sure if she's going to come out to our mother who's supportive, but I hope she'll be okay with it once my sister settles down to somewhere else. She won't come out to our dad because he's transphobic and homophobic. I wonder if she'll end up in a relationship with someone.

#1 Obliteratrix47, Oct 21, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    I Love Dory and Tuesdayok like this.
  2. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad your sister felt comfortable enough to come out to you. When she came out to you, how did it make you feel? I hope if/when she comes out to your mother, things go well (and that if your father ever finds out, it doesn't go as badly as you suspect).

I confess, I don't know much about HOCD, but I think a few of the other Admins/Advisors have a pretty good grasp on it (and I'll certainly look into it, as well, as it seems it can impact someone's perception of their sexuality quite a bit).

Obliteratrix47 and Tuesdayok like this.
  3. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was a little surprised, but I supported her. I hope my mother's reaction won't be as bad once she comes out. If my sister's comfortable with her sexuality, then she's happy with it. Not only our dad's homophobic and transphobic, but our paternal grandmother is against the LGBT community. My sister told me that they read those stereotypes about gay people, so that's what made them extremely unfriendly to the LGBT community.

To give you some explanation about HOCD, HOCD is a type of OCD. A straight person with HOCD fear that they're gay/bi. Gay people with HOCD fear that they're straight/bi. Keep in mind that HOCD is not a denial, sexuality crisis or internalized homophobia. OCD is an anxiety disorder. Anyone with OCD can have intrusive thoughts and feelings about anything, regardless what their sexuality is. It's one of the reasons why I joined Empty Closets. I can send you some articles if you want to understand better.

https://iocdf.org/expert-opinions/sexual-orientation-obsessions/

https://www.madeofmillions.com/ocd/sexual-orientation-ocd

BiGemini87 and Tuesdayok like this.
  4. Tuesdayok

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am so glad you are supportive of your sister. Knowing how your dad is re being homophobic etc, the pressure it puts on your sister is immense. Coming out is a hugely courageous thing to do. My daughter came out as Bi sexual to me a couple of years ago roughly. To me i was so blessed that she felt safe & comfortable enough to share something that is so intensely private with me. She wasn’t overly concerned how I would respond as we are very close. Yet still Im sure like anyone who comes out it is not easy nor do you really know how you will be received when sharing this for the first time. To me it just made me love my daughter even more. As long as she is kind & respectful in her relationships to me thats all that matters. Since she came out to me, & through my being a full member on here, she has taught me the right pronouns to use, & sometimes still do need guidance as there are so many different things to remember. Also EC mostly has been a learning platform for me, & my daughter loves coming on here daily. It’s her happy place, where she knows she is & can be exactly the way she wants to be in a safe & engaging environment. My advice re your dad is if he can be trusted to respond in a respectful way that is the first thing. But more importantly you know him better than us or myself to comment on. If he is very homophobic, then it might be worth not sharing that with him. Disclosing you are bisexual is something that is a big moment. And it’s concerning knowing how homophobic he is that I worry he may react in a way that would potentially hurt you in many ways. That would be his ignorance regarding the LGBTQIA+ community that he seems he is opposed to perhaps as well. I’m a single mom, heterosexual so to me it was easy for me to accept my daughter being bisexual. I don’t feel it’s anyone’s business, unless you know when sharing the information about being bisexual that it will be treated with the respect & dignity it deserves. Hope this makes sense. I would only share with those people who truely care about the real you, & embrace your sister gor the beautiful soul & human being she is. If he cannot be trusted to handle this information without being disrespectful, & completely abhorrently cruel due to his sttong homophobia, then perhaps I would maybe not tell him. I guess knowing how he is that’s a judgment call for you to make. Just because they are “family” does not give them carte blanche to show disrespect & respond in an absolutely horrible way, by projecting his misinformed conclusions & bias onto you, thus making you feel guilty or not what he “expected” of you. Your sister needs validation, support, acceptance & most of all to be embraced for her true self. These moments when you share this kind of deeply raw & vulnerable sides of who you are need to be received in a supportive way. Whether it’s coming out to family or friends, you have the power & most of all the right to do it on your terms. Being validated is so important & if there is a huge question about whether or not you will be treated with care, compassion, support & acceptance than that to me would be a huge red flag His homophobia is something which is his baggage. My concern would be exactly that. His definitive & rigid concept & somewhat tunnel vision & inflexibility tells me perhaps it may not be worth letting him know as really do you need his acceptance? I am not confident you will receive a positive response nor validation from him. Sorry to be direct but you deserve respect & to be celebrated.❤️

Obliteratrix47 and Lemony like this.
  5. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really glad to hear that. It's unfortunate about your father and paternal grandmother, though. Some minds can be changed, but only if they're open to that change; I hope if they ever find out, they at least leave your sister be about it.

Thanks so much for the explanation. I'll read those articles now, because I do want to understand the distinction between the two so I can be of greater help in the future. :slight_smile:

Obliteratrix47 likes this.
  6. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really appreciate your support, Tuesdayok. I can't imagine coming out to anyone if I was LGBT.

7. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure if it will be a great idea if they find out. I just want my sister to be safe. But they need to understand that being LGBT isn't a choice. If they don't support this, then the relationship between my sister and dad and grandmother will not be the same anymore.

I'm glad that you're able to gain some knowledge and understanding about HOCD. I hope the LGBT community won't think that we're in denial (I'm talking about the people who have HOCD). It's not easy for them to accept that straight and gay people can have this type of anxiety disorder.

BiGemini87 likes this.