1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble finding a new apartment

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LaurenSkye, Sep 21, 2021.

1. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    After 12 years in the same apartment I decided that this year will finally be the year I move out. I've been wanting this for years. The trouble is that I'm on disability. My income is less than $800 (US) per month. I've been trying to find an apartment for no more than $525 per month (even that's a bit much), but it's extremely difficult. There are very few places that are affordable and available. I'm going to have to stay in my current apartment another month or two even though my rent here is going up and it's difficult to afford.

To make matters worse, the whole process is really messing with my mental health. The stress is overwhelming. Being autistic I'm uncomfortable calling up potential landlords about apartments. But I so badly want to get out of here.

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you looked for Facebook groups listing rooms for rent?
    I've seen quite a few listings where I am for right around your price range. You may be able to find Facebook groups in your area just for LGBT people offering rooms for rent if you're comfortable sharing a house or apartment. However, be very careful when looking for a room on Facebook, and consider doing your own background checks.

3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you have to live by yourself? (it is very difficult for me to live with anyone that I am not intimate with). The most affordable option that I found when in the states was renting from someone who had a room, this was made a lot easier by the fact that I knew her at least a little bit. Are there any support organizations that you are or can be a part of where you might be able to be introduced to someone who has a room or an apartment to rent?

If you are able to drive I also found that it was much cheaper to live in very small towns and then drive to the larger city for needed services.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I echo's Hawk's suggestion on trying Facebook as well but to be mindful/careful.

It might also be worthwhile to walk through neighbourhoods where you can see yourself living in, to see if you come across a posted vacancy. Some landlords might not bother with posting something online if they know they can get a potential tenant walking in or calling by simply having a vacancy sign outside the building.

Do you have a friend or family member who could help you in approaching potential landlords?

5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lauren.....Have you thought of contacting the local LGBTQ support center for help? They may have names/addresses of landlords who are willing to help LGBTQ and/or allies with reduced or adjusted rent. It's worth a try! There are also government programs. I don't know much about them except that they do exist. Hope that helps some!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag: