1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I blown my chance with this guy?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lottaotter, Sep 7, 2021.

1. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Will try to keep this short...

Have started volunteering recently and there's a guy there who I met previously (briefly) on a language course. We recognised each other and we get on well. I always thought he might be gay and he's just... really nice. One one hand he could just be straight, but if that's the case he's the most comfortable-with-his-sexuality straight guy I've ever met (and 75% of my friend group are straight guys). Thing is I have no gaydar AT ALL.

Now obviously no-one on here can tell me whether he's gay or not but I'd like you guys' advice about whether I've missed my chance to ask him out.

Like I said we talk and he's even given me compliments on what I'm wearing once. I've only been going to this place to volunteer a few times, and this last time I asked him what he's been up to this week etc. and he goes "Oh nothing much, I've been chatting with someone which is nice". To me that sounds like the precursor to dating, and honestly my heart sank.

I've never been in a long relationship, and only ever met guys via apps before. Just never felt that 'spark' with anyone. Was starting to doubt I could feel it, until this guy came along. I'ts dawned on me that I have to be attracted to someone's personality before I can develop physical attraction- a massive reassurance for me that I'm not dead inside but also... there's so much more at stake compared to some guy off an app... and he sounds like he's seeing somone else, and that I'm too late :frowning2:

I'm just hoping he was bluffing to see what my reaction was (I'm quite slow to get things so not sure what I said/looked like when he told me!). I just really want to ask him out for a drink, but how? How can I let him know I'm gay? And what if he isn't, and gets offended!? My housemate wants to volunteer too and said she'll come next time and suggest we all go for a drink, but I dunno if I'm too keen on that idea.

He mentioned to me as we were leaving he wouldn't be here next week- he specifically told me, rather than everyone, which gives me hope. Thing is I won't see him for two weeks now.

I've been on tenterhooks these last few days and like I said, it feels like I've got a lot to lose- this is the first time I've felt like this about anyone.

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As far as the whole first section about missing your chance. I do not believe that there is only one person out there for anyone. There are people who might be closer matches but there are a lot of people in the world. If he is in a relationship with someone then either the two of you were never meant to be or you each need to take time and if at some later date you match again then take that chance.

If he is someone who is going to lie to you in order to manipulate your feelings then he is someone to avoid like the plague. A person who will screw with your mind is abusive and should not even be a person to be friends with and certainly not someone to get into a relationship with.

Umm, maybe try something like - "hey, want to go out for a drink sometime?". Especially if you really mean that you just want to get together to have a drink and talk. (not "talk" but actually talk)

"By the way, I am gay. Is that a problem for you?" (you could even leave out the last part)

If he is not gay or at least bisexual then you have no chance of dating. You could still be friends, having friends is a good thing. If he is a raging homophobe isn't it better to find out early and then just avoid someone who is an asshole?

Why? This seems like a great idea. Getting a couple of people together takes all the tension off and you can start to get to know him better. From what you have said here you really do not know that much about him.

Two weeks in the life of an infant is a long time. Two weeks in the life of an adult is just a small pause. Take the time to relax a bit. Plan things with your room mate about going out as a group the next time.

Right now you have no relationship with him, not even a friendship. You do in fact have quite literally nothing to lose.

3. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I suppose until I read your reply I did have some hope that I still had a chance. I'm finding it pretty hard to swallow the idea that I just have to let it go and accept he's not for me to be honest. I'd at least like to have a go at going for a drink with him. I do know a fair bit about him, I just didn't want to write it all here for personal reasons.

If I can just moan for a second it feels so soul-crushing to think I've FINALLY got that 'spark' about someone and FINALLY met someone who is (most likely) gay in real life only for me to chicken out of saying anything AND be too stupid to make a move.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Admittedly, this does sound like he may be exploring the possibility of dating, but it doesn't emphatically mean he has lined up a date or made a real time, real life connection with anyone, so don't read too far ahead. When you see him next, you could always ask about it. You may even discern more about his sexuality if you do. If he refers to the person he was chatting to as male then it goes some way to answering the question about whether he is gay, or bisexual.

You really are overthinking things at the moment though. For example:

"When we have finished here, do you fancy the idea of going to the pub for a drink?" ... it really is that simple. This is a question friends and colleagues ask each other every day all over the world. It doesn't have to be anymore complicated than that. The only reason it seems more complicated is because you are building things up in your own mind and crystal balling.

As far as I can tell, you have let nothing go. Even if he does line up a date with the person he has been speaking to it's important to keep in mind that the dating game has a high failure rate. You can chat with someone online and seem to get along famously, only to find no spark at all when you meet up. Been there, done that!

Instead of getting carried away, just try to roll with it and see where it goes. If you start getting wound up it's very likely to come across in your manner/personality when you next meet up and that will make things more awkward.

5. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well this coming weekend when I see him again, I've promised myself that I'll ask him for a drink.

The reason I probably sound immature is that this is the first time in my life I feel *attracted* to someone, so obviously I'm feeling like there's more at stake than when I've been talking to guys on apps and going on first dates (part of the reason I actually enjoy enjoy doing on first dates and don't find them particularly nerve-wracking is that there's rarely a connection there for me).

I'm fairly sure he's gay or bi, and I wouldn't mind being friends if he's not interested in me.

6. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm hoping someone will see this as I really want to talk to someone about it and all my friends are straight and don't talk about relationship stuff anyway.

Maybe you'll read this and think I'm being stupid and immature and I probably am.

It's been two weeks and I thought I'd see him again at the volunteering thing, and I promised I ask him to go for a drink. But he wasn't there. The time of the volunteering thing changed, so maybe he'll never be there again? There is a session on Wednesdays I think he goes too but that's 4 more days- 4 more days he could be with someone else.

He's the only gay person I've met in real life, and the only person I quite liked, and I am pretty sure he liked me back. These 2 weeks have been horrible. I've been waking up with anxiety pains that last all day. I've been trying every eanxiety-easing technique I know.

I feel like I'm going to be alone forever. Where the hell are all the gay guys? Even one friend who's a gay male would be nice. I struggle with apps since i just can't form attraction on looks alone- I need to slowly get to know someone and by then it's too late. Life throws me chances and I'm too dumb to catch them.

My last hope is to try messaging him on FB. We have one mutual friend so I sent him a request but he hasn't responded. I think maybe he just doesn't go on FB much- I never used to either. Would it be creepy? He came up on my suggested friends.

I'm so stupid but I just want someone who I can talk to about this. I don't have any friends who would take this seriously without making fun of me. I'm sorry if this sounds stupid.

7. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are tying way too much on only one person in the world. There are over 7 billion people in the world of which approximately 3.5 billion are men of which statistically at least 35 million are gay men most likely a whole lot more. This one man is not your only chance.

Then you need to get out more. You live in the UK, a place where it is legal and not that dangerous to be out. If you live in a small village or something then take a bus or a train to a larger city and get involved with whatever group is there (I have lived in a town of 110 people and had to travel an hour to find other LGBT people). There are plenty of out gay men in the UK.

You are 27 you have decades ahead of you to find someone. One thing for sure though, desperation only attracts abusive people. Stop being desperate. Get out and get involved as I said earlier.

FireFox likes this.
  8. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have started self harming again and I can't take this anymore

9. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Call 999 or 112. You need to see a professional.

10. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry for my post,I knoe I sound stupid a d needy but I am at breaking point and I have no one there is no one who would listen to me and take me seriously I'm so sorry please ignore if you think on just stupid

11. FireFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Self harming won't help you, like QuietPeace said, you need to see a professional. I've only been here a week or so and from the posts I've seen there are numerous people who have a virtual shoulder to cry on if required.

If you need to cry, vent or chat. You are in good company so please don't help harm.

EDIT: You don't sound stupid but you do need help to get your mind right. You'll be fine, please make an appointment to see someone :wink:

#11 FireFox, Sep 18, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  12. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you and I'm sorry.

I just have no one to talk to. I don't know how to get help. I have an appointment with the counselling service at uni next week but that is days away. This will be the 4th time I've tried it. I just don;t know what to say and If i say how I'm feeling they look at me weird like I'm exagerating. And I'm deferring from uni so I don't know If i can get help ayway.

There is so much I have to do in my life nd stioll so many chnages to make I'm sorry for my spelling my hands are shaking too much to type better,

I'm sorry

13. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get the same way do not be sorry. 999 and 112 are valid for anyone who is having an emergency and if you are self harming then this is an emergency.

FireFox likes this.
  14. FireFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You have no need to apologise, and regarding the appointment at least it's something but being the 4th attempt if this doesn't go anywhere then maybe worth contacting the NHS mental heath service, here is a link. Apologies if it's not the right one but regardless they should point you in the right direction -- https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/mental-health/find-an-urgent-mental-health-helpline

QuietPeace likes this.
  15. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you @QuietPeace and @FireFox.

I'm feeling a bit better now. In sorry for making drama. I haven't been in crisis like that for a few months.

Thank you for the link. I didn't know such a thing existed, hopefully there is one in Wales where I am.

I didn't end up calling the emergency services in the end, or Samaritans. I felt silly because my preferred method of self harm is to punch myself repeatedly, rather than cutting or anything more obvious.

If i can make it till this counselling appointment on wednesday I'll tell them everything and try not to hold back this time.

FireFox likes this.
  16. FireFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No worries and also that is the best way, if you fight the help it won't work. Let the counselling help you by letting it in but also make a note of that number incase you feel the need to contact them in future.

17. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi @lottaotter

I’m sorry to read about how you’ve been feeling and I hope that your counselling appointment on Wednesday goes well.

For future reference (though I hope you won’t need it), there is also the Shout text messaging service (https://giveusashout.org/). You should still call 999 in an emergency, but a service to consider if texting feels more comfortable than calling.

Keep us updated.

lottaotter and FireFox like this.