1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not ready to come out to family yet, but want to prepare

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by reignalpha17, Sep 4, 2021.

1. reignalpha17

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not quite ready to come out to my family yet, but I'm trying to prepare for every possible reaction. I want to wait until I have all of my personal belongings in a storage unit under my name.

How did you guys come out to your family, how did they react, and how did you respond to their reactions? I just want to be prepared, you know?

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to EC.

The range of reactions is very wide. I waited until I had a job, moved out and had my own place. When I went back to visit my parents in 1985 and tried to explain to them they kicked me out of the house. Neither my mother nor my step-father ever actually accepted me (my mother died in 2014 having never gendered me correctly). On the other hand I have friends who's parents reacted badly but eventually came around to acceptance. I also have friends who's parents reactions were more like "I accept you for who you are no matter what" (often along with "yeah, I already knew").

3. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally came out in a letter. I guess I find that easiest for me because then I don't have to deal with my family's initial reaction, and also it gives them time to process what I said. And also it gives me a chance to process their reaction (if I need to) rather than my first reaction to it, if that makes sense?

But everybody's different.

4. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What I will say is good luck for however and whenever you decide to come out, no pressure at all though. Take it at your own pace.

5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck with coming out. I hope everything works out very well for you.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As you prepare to come out it would be a good idea to look at the PFLAG website and download some of the information and resources they have built up over the years for parents and family members. You may also find details of a PFLAG support group in your state or the state where your parents reside. https://pflag.org/

Some parents and family members can surprise us with their reactions (for good and bad reasons) and there really is no way of telling how it will go down. If our family is quite liberal, we can perhaps feel a little easier about it, but it's not certain. In many cases the initial reaction is one of shock, accompanied by anger, denial or bargaining and it's a good idea to brace ourselves for all of these reactions because we've probably been through them in our own minds too. Most of us will have been through a process of self denial, self bargaining and quite a bit of anger, so we can't reasonably expect everyone else to just be fine with it. If we needed time, so might they. Fortunately, many parents do get through it and come around, but we may need to give them that extra bit of time and space and try very hard to remain calm or walk away for a while if it starts to get personal or heated.

Doing the ground work and setting yourself up to live independently is a good idea. Many people take the brave step of coming out while they still live at home, but there are certain risks in doing that. If we can bide our time and build up our support network, it's a good idea.

7. AvatarRoku

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i came out via text was kinda scared to do it face to face tbh. They were ok. Sister was hilarious mum was not so much.

I don’t personally feel I would have ever felt “prepared” but I suppose I just got to a point where I was sick and tired of pretending and I wanted to be me rather than me being what every else wanted.

I’m sure whenever you decide to come out you will be able to handle whatever comes your way. Any you know we are all here for you if you need us.

8. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    reignalpha17.....You might want to consider using a letter WHEN the time comes to tell your parents/friends. Coming out in writing means you will not be interrupted or face a barrage of questions that you need to answer immediately, in the heat of the moment. You get time and they get time too and that counts for a lot. There are some great sample coming out letters here on empty closets that could be a big help to you. Even if you don't eventually use the letter, taking the time to think about it and to write one will help you to be sure to say what you need to say and leave out the rest! Again, a big plus to a letter is that you don't have to be present when the letter is read. That can be a very big help as it eliminates the potential face-to-face confrontation that can easily go bad. It gives the people reading the letter some time to think before they talk to you. After all, you've had time to think about your sexuality...giving them some time to think about it too only seems fair! Check the letters out (see below)...they could be a real help!
    *****Also...when you do come out, whether it's tomorrow or a year from now, your parents and/or friends will probably have questions. Take some time now to think about what those questions might be. Such as; "How do you know you're gay?" or "How long have you felt this way?" etc. The questions themselves will vary a great deal dependent upon your family and friends...so take that into consideration. If you work up a list of five or so questions with the answers already planned, you will be perceived as a more mature, serious person.
    *****COMING OUT LETTERS: http://emptyclosets.com/home/pages/resources/coming-out-letters.php
    *****Remember...you are a part of our LGBTQ Family and we do care! Keep us updated on how things are going for you!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

9. reignalpha17

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much to everyone for your support and advice. I've decided to make a Facebook post coming out to everyone on my list. If people get butt hurt over me finally acknowledging and living my truth, oh well.

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Writing a post on Facebook isn't such a bad idea because people are able to reply with kind and supportive messages which can temper the feelings of those who are more inclined to react badly. Most people browse the comments as well as the original post.

Just remember that a bad reaction now isn't always the final word. Once people have time to consider your news and work through their own feelings that initial reaction can (and does) change.

Let us know how you get on.

11. AvatarRoku

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    good for you!! I having been toying with that idea for ages of doing a Facebook post. But I’m not sure why but I just haven’t yet. I guess I was wanting to be a bit slower telling people but I know that it’s my ultimate goal so that everyone then knows and i can just be me.

if it’s the right time for you then go for it. If not just like me have that as your ultimate goal.

whatever you decide know you have our support!

12. reignalpha17

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've done it and so far only positive reactions and one comment. All good in the hood so far!

BiGemini87, Rayland and Unsure77 like this.
  13. AvatarRoku

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow good for you that takes a lot of nerve. I’m so glad that you have had such positive reactions and I’m sure you must be feeling amazing!

14. reignalpha17

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my aunts knew all along... I cried when I read her comment.

15. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gongratulations on coming out. It takes a lot of guts.

#15 Rayland, Sep 11, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  16. AvatarRoku

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m so pleased for you. You should be so proud!!!!

17. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    reignalpha17.....Congratulations! ***HUG*** ***HUG*** ***HUG*** ***HUG*** :old_smile: :old_smile: :old_smile: :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

18. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on coming out! I'm glad it's been positive thus far, and hope it continues to be so. :slight_smile: