1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming to grips with the realities of being trans

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Jaylah, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Jaylah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So it's been a hot minute since I last posted. A lot has happened since, I tried going through the official system to have my gender reassigned, but the gatekeepers didn't let me through, I guess I wasn't pretty enough. In my desperation I started seeking other alternatives, and found a source willing and capable of providing me with the correct hormones and anti-androgens.
    I've been on HRT for 6 months now, and every day my hope, that things could get better dims.

I've been "blessed" with extremely masculine facial features. Ignore my avatar, that's just my picture processed by a feminizing A.I. program, a sweet dream that can never come true. 6 months in and I've started to see some minor changes, but I've also come to understand that HRT will never be able to fix my highly masculine face, that would require surgery (which I'll never be able to afford). So essentially, this is it. I might feminize a little bit more over the years, but it has become painfully clear to me, that I will never pass. Not even remotely. I will always be read as male.

So now my struggle is coming to terms with the fact that I will always be the pariah I feared I would be. Too feminine to feel comfortable in male lockers rooms / toilets, and far too masculine to fit in with the ladies. I don't go out much anymore, people give me disgusted looks, and young men shout obscenities at me.

I honestly feel quite depressed. I feel like I've been doomed to a life of loneliness, hated for simply existing, and it's a lot to handle. I don't really talk to my family anymore either, they've chosen not to honor my identity, so I don't contact them, and feel quite alone in the world.

I go to therapy, but frankly, it's been useless. The therapist has been completely unable to help me, and talking to them (non-binary therapist) just frustrates me. Even though they are trans too, I am not sure they understand what I'm trying to tell them. I also can't help but feel, that in spite of all, they see me as a man, but that might just be my dysphoria talking.

So yeah, I have a lot on my plate, and I have no idea how to handle it all. How many more years can I handle being constantly misgendered, how many more years can I handle the isolation and all the hate that I face? Every day I think about killing myself, but then decide not to do it, if for no other reason than to spite the haters. I don't want to give them the pleasure.

2. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Jaylah. I'm sorry to hear you are unhappy at the moment. I really hope things do get better for you. I don't really have much advice but what I will suggest is it it possible for you to change therapists or is there a nearby support group for people who are transgender you could join?

One last thing- please don't give up. I know life may be hard but you are worthy of life, a good life. None of this is you're fault and as for the haters and bullies , I know it's hard but the truth is people who hate or bully they're just insecure and instead of internalising their self hatred or insecurities onto themselves they take it out on other people.... I know it's hard, trust me I do. Bt please don't let the haters get you down. Actually, don't let anything get you down.

Stay Strong and Keep on keeping on,

Charlie x

3. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have no advise to give, just to a of admiration. Thank you for sharing this. I’m sorry that you’re hurting. I really wish I had something to say to make you feel better, because you’ve made me feel better. I’m not feeling brave right now, and I need a little bit of bravery at the moment. I’m not sure if you feel like it, but you’re brave as a hell. Seriously
    Thanks for posting this. Sometimes when I’m feeling like a big old coward, seeing how brave other people can be brings my head back up above water. I really appreciate you doing that for me this morning. I was surprised to read that and not feel like “Well, back to the closet I go!” Nah, reading what you said makes me want to throw a dress on over my my body hair and muscles , apply make up (poorly) over my permastubble, and stand next to you laughing at the haters. If you passed me on the street, I’m not going to lie, you’d probably catch me looking at you. Based on my appearance, you’d likely assume I was judging you. I wouldn’t be. I’d be thinking “God I wish I was brave like her.” You don’t get to know for sure, but I’m sure some of the looks you get are from the people who sure look like judgey cis guys, but have something else going on inside. Keep on going, your story isn’t written yet

4. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am so sorry that you are going through all of this.

As far as your therapist. If you have really tried to connect and have done your best to share and it does not seem to be working then maybe you should try to find another therapist. Just because they are non-binary trans does not necessarily mean that they can understand the issues of someone who is binary and needs transition.

As far as safety and ability to transition where you are, is it at all possible for you to move? Changing the nation that I live in has really been a help for me.

5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m so sorry to hear you are going through something like that, but I wanted to let you know, that you mustn’t loose hope. Maybe changing the environment, if you can, would do you some good, maybe moving to a lqbt+ friendly country?? You are very brave, compared to you I’m a coward. Haters are gonna hate no matter what, but we can’t live our lives to please them. We should live our lives to find happiness we deserve.

6. Jaylah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    @CharlieLuca

No, it isn't possible for me to change therapists and there are no support groups. I said I think about killing myself every day, but for the time being, I have no intention of killing myself. To take a line from Jeffrey Marsh, aimed at all the haters: "I'm not here to make you comfortable". I take a certain amount of delight, from the fact that my mere existence upsets certain people, although it does leave me feeling vulnerable.

@staticinmyattic

Please don't put me up on a pedestal. I'm not brave, I am in fact, a big old coward. I don't present fem most days, because of convenience. Most days, I just want to be able to walk outside without all the hassle, so I shroud myself in a hoodie and a mask, and enjoy the invisibility. Ever since starting my transition, I have started becoming more and more wary of men, especially groups of young men make me extremely nervous.

@QuietPeace

As said above, changing therapists isn't possible, neither is changing countries. The deal that I've struck with my HRT provider, keeps me rooted in place, I would not be able to get hormones as easily if I moved, and I will do nothing that would jeopardize my supply. It is too valuable for me.

@Rayland

Yes, haters are going to hate, unfortunately I don't have an inexhaustible supply of self-love at my disposable at the moment, so all the hate slowly wears my armor down and starts corroding my heart. I am not brave, please don't say that, I am terrified all the time, which is why I spend most of my time safely locked away in my home.

Thank you to you all for your kind words, it is a hard task that has been given to us, and I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to decline from this fate, but I am always reminded of something in the Lord of the Rings:

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
    "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

As a widely hated minority, we are called upon to practice radical self-love, more than any other. We can't choose the time we're born in, but we can choose compassion instead of hate. It is hard, I fail at it constantly, but what other choice is there?
    Hate the world, hate yourself, grow bitter and cynical, and give up?

#6 Jaylah, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  7. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess that fear never really goes away. Of course it can wear you down. Don’t give up. Everything you are going through, you do the name of your own happiness. At least you can feel safe inside your own home and that’s a good thing. Some loose their homes too. I hope these experiences make us stronger. I love that quote from lord of the rings and it’s true too. It’s up to us to decide what we are going to do with our lives, with the short time given to live it. Even if I know I face ridicule, disgust, hate, loneliness after I come out next year. I still know I want to do it. I will be happier with being able to express myself more. I really can’t imagine not being able to live as my true self. I truly hope things get better. If you just want to rant or just talk, then feel free to do so. I’m all ears.

8. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry @Jaylah. I really wish I could help and ease your pain.

9. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You have the right to make that choice.

10. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It didn’t occur to me that my admiration would read as pedestalling you. I am sorry for that.
    Courage is relative. If you see yourself as a coward, far be it from me to tell you otherwise, because I also feel like a coward. You’ve taken steps that I want very badly to take, but paralyze me with fear.
    I meant only to offer my admiration and gratitude for sharing your story.