1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

homophobes are literally everywhere

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by girlfromars, Aug 31, 2021.

1. girlfromars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    so basically a few years ago i moved from a place that was generally very accepting of the LGBT community to Uzbekistan, which is not. Like 90 percent of people ..are homophobes and its generally expected that you are. i've only been here a few years but in the past year or so i've come to the conclusion that i'm bisexual and i kinda want to be out to everyone but i know most people wouldn't be okay with that, including my parents who are pretty religious. like i remember having a conversation with my mum where she said that she wouldnt accept my brother if he was queer and both my parents keep making these subtly homophobic side comments and i just don't think would react well if i came out to them. Yeah so i'm not exactly sure what i should do in this sisuation, like i dont know any LGBT people in uzb irl, which is probably why i'm on this website tbh and yeah

2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello! I feel you. I am in a closet myself, because I know that people around me wouldn’t understand and there are a lot of homophobes too.
    If you want to come out, then you really have to think it through very well, so that it won’t cause you any harm.
    You should think about:
    do you have a place to go to, if you do come out and you get thrown out of your house?
    Do you have any supporters who could help you out after you come out?
    Are you financially stable and capable of supporting yourself?

girlfromars and caden0803 like this.
  3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    girlfromars.....Hello and a very big LGBTQ+ welcome to Empty Closets! Coming out can be wonderful and terrible. Occasionally at the same time! The most important factors in deciding when to come out are:
    *****Come out when YOU are ready. Don't let anyone push you into it if you are not at the place where coming out is right for you.
    *****Don't come out if there is a real chance that you will be in danger. That includes being kicked out of your house, having no way to support yourself, having all privileges (phone, computer, friends, etc.) taken away, being verbally or emotionally abused as well as the danger of physical abuse. Waiting can be very difficult, but your safety and emotional well-being are more important.
    *****Being out in middle school/high school is easier now than it used to be...but depending on your school and your relationship with other students, it can still be a problem. Try to evaluate these things and see what you seriously think about the results of coming out would be. Sometimes waiting...even when it is so difficult...is the only safe way to come out.
    *****I really think that given where you are living right now that it would be a mistake to come out while you are still living at home and dependent on your parents for support. When you are an adult and can support your self, then you could perhaps save up enough money to move to a place that is safer for LGBTQIA+ people to be out. I think that both home and school and far too dangerous for you to be out right now. I know how hard it is to keep your secret...I kept my secret of being gay for many years and I know just how very hard it is. But right now it's just too dangerous to out where you live.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

BiGemini87, girlfromars and caden0803 like this.
  4. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel for you, @girlfromars. I think, when it comes to the topic of coming out, the first thing you need to take into consideration is your safety. If you aren't safe to come out, much as sucks, you might need to put it off for a while--at least until you've gained financial independence from your parents. From your post, I assume you live with them? If so, I definitely recommend waiting, as they don't sound like the supportive type from what you've stated. If you are independent from them, you of course can come out to them if/when you're ready to--but be prepared for the worst.

5. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, reading up a little on LGBT rights in Uzbekistan, (like everyone else is saying) I think I would wait until you're financially independent enough to move to a safer place before you come out. They apparently put gay men in prison there. As everyone is saying, your safety is important. I think I would invest your energy in doing what it takes to prepare to get out. Meaning preparing either to be able to go to university (in the most independent way possible..preferably away) or preparing to start whatever career/trade you're interested in and starting that as strong as possible once you graduate high school.

We want you to be safe and be able to thrive once you come out.

#5 Unsure77, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    girlfromars likes this.