1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling overwhelmed

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kyrielles, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m feeling overwhelmed with life lately. A mixture of different things. Relationship, friends, family, sexuality, past issues and traumas. It’s became a lot and I just feel so tired and overwhelmed all the time. I’m happiest alone or sleeping and I feel like ultimately I just want freedom from everyone and everything. Sorry this was more of a vent, but kind words are appreciated.

BiGemini87 and GrumpyOldLady like this.
  2. old tacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All of us have moments when we feel overwhelmed. Taking time off for yourself can provide a much needed break from all the happenings in our lives. But I check myself that my “alone” time is not given over to brooding. Instead I use the time to refresh and prepare to get back out there!

Rita Star and Kyrielles like this.
  3. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi @Kyrielles.

You are not alone, I assure you. Many of us feel overwhelmed a lot of the time, me included. It socks and if you ever want to talk about things I, and I'm sure plenty other people on EC would be willing to try and help in any way possible, and listen to you.

One thing I've learnt that as much as its hard we need to take time for ourselves and self care. Yes, it's good to care about other people and things but not to the point when you're neglecting yourself and not realising how you feel and if it's overwhelming you, take a break. I know it's easier said than done I really do. But what do you like doing? Or when you were in a time when you were feeling less overwhelmed and down what did you enjoy doing? What in the past have you found a useful distraction- listening to music, writing drawing, watching something? Or not necessarily a distraction, just something that eases that overwhelming pressure slightly... whether that be writing thoughts and feelings down or talking it through with someone.

I don't know, I'm not an expert. Far from it, I'm just someone who feels like they can relate to what you're saying.

Anyways those are just some ideas. Stay Strong.

Charlie. Xx

Kyrielles likes this.
  4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's good that you are prepared to acknowledge how you feel. Many people just keep a lid on these feelings and the pressure builds and builds as a result.

I think many people will be able to relate to that sense of feeling overwhelmed right now. The past two years has been particularly overwhelming and our coping potential has been stretched beyond reasonable limits. Issues that we might have been able to work our way through now seem like open wounds. With more time to reflect and ruminate we see lots of enmeshed problems that cannot (at this time) be easily resolved. In your case it seems to be:

When you look at all of that together, it's quite a heady mix isn't it?

My best advice would be to say what it is about each of those things that seems problematic. Don't mash it all together, but write a paragraph about your relationship issues and a separate paragraph about friendship issues and so on. Whilst there may be connections, it's better to try to keep everything untied in the first instance. Do you think you could do that?

Can I ask what you meant when you said you want freedom from everyone and everything? I don't want to assume any meaning behind those words, but they can mean something quite serious actually. What exactly does 'freedom' mean to you?

You've been a member of EC for quite a while now, so you know that we are all here for the same reasons... to give and receive support. Right now, you need to receive some support and I am pleased you created this thread. Hope you are able to say some more.

Kyrielles likes this.
  5. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for all of your words everyone. So although I said I love alone time the thing is I feel like I never have any, and honestly not quite sure how I would go about getting any given my situation. It’s kind of like I said I love sleeping, yet it’s so difficult for me to fall asleep, and once I do I don’t want to get up when my alarm rings.

I have been doing things I enjoy when I have spare time, but the thing is those things seem to be losing their joy, and I’m not enjoying things as much. It’s like I’m beginning to not really care about anything. And I mean I have a lot going on right now, it’s entirely too much to openly post about.

And when I said I feel like I want freedom I just meant that I feel held back or like I’ve always been held back if that makes sense. Sometimes I feel like I don’t even know myself, and i don’t know, I just want to be free, and feel okay I guess is what I’m saying.

6. old tacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Many years ago there was a British musical “Stop The World I Want To Get Off” that also had a long run on Broadway because of its popularity. The title came to mind as I was reading your last post. The story line is not your experience, but the title seems to fit how you feel about the things in your life.
    There have been times in my own life when I have felt the same as you do now. If you do nothing else, take a moment each day just for yourself. A place where you can safely close your eyes and “get away” from everything around you. Just a couple minutes, 5 if you can. Over 50% of stimulation to our brains at any one time is visual. This simple act of closing your eyes briefly provides a calming effect. Not forever, but just enough to pause and reflect. Try it, you might find it helps a little. And little by little, our lives can change.

Kyrielles likes this.
  7. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never heard of it, but interesting. And also thanks for the advice. I do try to have breathers throughout the day, more so lately as my anxiety as been worse. I sometimes even find myself in the bathroom just to breathe and have a moment to myself. It helps somewhat

8. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

I don't know what the best advice to give you is which I'm sorry about but just when I read this post I was like that's so relatable. I quite often feel the way you feel at the moment.

As @oldtacoma said, and I agree, try going to a safe place in your mind. Or as I call it a happy place... It could be anywhere that makes you not necessarily happy, but peaceful, or calmer.

And I totally get what you mean about sleep btw.. . Sleep is a tricky one, especially when we're experiencing low moods ... Like we want to sleep, but we struggle to, and we don't want to get up in the morning, even if we have managed to have a good sleep. (well, that's me anyways).

As for the freedom and everything else you said I can relate a lot. I may not be the best at giving advice but if you need someone to talk to, I am here.

Kyrielles likes this.
  9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Obviously, we don't know any details about your circumstances, but are you able to just go out for walks on your own? It sounds like you feel stifled and just need an hour where you can let go and just breathe. Would a daily walk (on your own) be a possibility?

Kyrielles likes this.
  10. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could take a daily walk but I live in a congested area that’s sort of dangerous, so I don’t really like the idea of that. I do occasionally go outdoors though and just be with nature. It’s probably the most relaxing thing I do actually. I just feel sometimes like it’s never ending and I’m just stuck doing the same things over and over. Sort of like insanity, over and over and over. Life feels like insanity

11. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, me again. Sorry to butt in. Just thought I'd say life feels like insanity for me too!

Also I see you said you like being with nature. Do you like animals? Maybe you could go see some animals somewhere? Even of it's just watching a video or looking at pictures.
    I find animals very therapeutic. Especially watchihg monkey's and pandas... They kind of fascinate me.

Also maybe watching or listening to something chilled or relaxing/ light hearted may help? And one more suggestion (sorry!) Maybe reading something light and entertaining may help.... Or listening to an audio book?

Also I will just say:

Don't forget to breathe. Slow, deep breaths can sometimes be useful.

Self care is important.
    I know it's hard but try to take some time out for yourself, doing something calm and relaxing. Nothing pressured and nothing intense.

Also, stay strong. If you ever need to talk, I am here. Keep the faith, it's gonna be ok. You're going to be ok.

(No pressure to do any of the things I said though.... Except breathing....)

Stay Strong,

Charlie :wink:

Kyrielles likes this.
  12. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand completely, I hope things look up for you soon

Kyrielles likes this.
  13. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, @Kyrielles. It may not mean much, but I hope you can find some solace in knowing you aren't alone. This past year (plus) has been hard on a lot of people in much the same way. It sounds to me like you're going through a depression, based on the things you've said: wanting to sleep more, having little to no interest in social interaction/things you normally enjoy, exhaustion, etc.

I don't think I have any real advice I can give, though I wish I did. I think all you can do is take one day at a time and try to think of at least one thing every day that you're grateful for/makes you happy.

I hope these feelings pass soon and in the meantime, you get the alone time and rest you need. <3

Kyrielles likes this.