1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The truth will hurt at least one person, struggling with that harm...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by CarterZane, Aug 23, 2021.

1. CarterZane

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everyone, and thank you all for providing a safe space for me to meet others and discover my own truth. I'm slowly tumbling out of the closet - dragged by my subconscious - which is in full revolt. I've known that I was different for about 50 years.

I doubt that my emergence as a gay man will shock anyone in my life - except for my wife. She's kind, compassionate, and heavily dependent on me. She's been upset since my first visit to therapy (I don't mean annoyed, I mean near hysteria) several weeks ago. I know that I need to come out to her - but I'm deeply concerned about two things.

1. That I will cause her harm. Emotionally, psychologically, and as a result that she may do herself harm.
    2. That I will not be fully honest about my own needs, and the extent of my homosexual nature. I have kind of a white-knight syndrome and I know I'm inclined to try to soften the blow by reassuring her that nothing has to change.

It's become clear to me however that I can no longer sustain the lie. I'm desperate to simply let down my guard and be myself. And I hope that someday includes falling in love with a wonderful man.

I suppose I know what I need to do, and where the boundaries are - but I hoped that others might throw flags on the play if they see fouls in my immediate future, or share stories of success to inspire me.

I suppose like many here, I'm frightened about the unknown, but feel an incredible inner need to push forward. Anyone have great advice for making this difficult step?

2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello and big welcome!
    I think it’s best to just communicate with your wife. Explain her everything, withouth leaving details out. She is already upset with you. She maybe upset, because she don’t know what you are thinking and what concers you have and already that does her harm. It’s like you don’t trust her at all. You can still have good relationship, even if you break up, if you don’t lie and just be honest. These are just my views on this though.

#2 Rayland, Aug 23, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  3. old tacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are on a journey. Keep at your therapy. I am 68, you are 56. You have time. Trust in yourself.

4. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry if I seem a bit harsh. I am not meaning to be harsh at all. I just think that people need to communicate more with each other.

5. CarterZane

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Rayland - I totally agree - I guess I just don't want to stumble into that conversation naively - i've been dishonest about my sexuality for a long time, and I want to be sure I'm ready. But yes, communication is key - and I've hated not being able to fully explain to her why I'm in therapy.

6. CarterZane

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks OT. Definitely keeping at the therapy.

7. CarterZane

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all Rayland. It's my instinct to go ahead, I just keep wondering if this is the best moment - and then thinking, well no - there really isn't going to be a 'good' time for this conversation.

8. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck. I really hope it all works out.

#8 Rayland, Aug 23, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  9. old tacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @CarterZane — You referred to your wife’s “near hysteria” at you going into therapy. Do you think she might already sense what’s going on with you?

10. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    CarterZane.....Hello and a great big LGBTQIA+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: There are a number of sub-forums here on EC...why don't you check them out and then feel free to join in the conversations! Your situation is very similar to what I faced. I came out here on Empty Closets in December of 2014. I was desperate and felt that I could no longer hide my sexuality but at the same time I felt unable to come out. Coming out here on an anonymous website helped. Just like you I also found a therapist to talk to. At that time I was 64 years old and had recently retired and had also been dealing with some serious health problems. Those two issues as well as finally accepting that I am and always have been gay had really pushed me close to the edge. I was fortunate that my wife saw me talking to a therapist as a good thing, even though she didn't know that my major reason was to find a way to reconcile my sexuality. My therapist helped me more than I can really say. I hope that you can encourage your wife to understand that seeing a therapist will have a positive effect on your marriage. About six months after I started seeing the therapist, I came out to my wife. It was the most difficult thing that I've ever done. My wife was very concerned that I would want to change something about our marriage, that I would want to tell everybody that I was gay. We attend a very conservative church and are very active in it and she was very worried about how that would work out. I had only one concern, of course this is what I wanted and I'm sure that it will be different for others. I did not want a divorce. I did and do love my wife. It's not the same love that I would have for a partner with whom I could have genuine love-connected sex (I don't know if that makes sense). I always had to think of men when we had sex...but I desperately wanted a family and at that time there really wasn't any other practical way to do so. I did not want to break up our marriage and at the same time essentially break up our family...I just couldn't do that. My family is more important to me than having a boyfriend. What I needed was to be able to put an end to the masquerade, the lie that I was living. I didn't need the whole world to know I was gay, I just needed those that were important to me to know and to stop having to pretend. It was difficult at first, but after a while, as she saw that I was not making any changes, she became more relaxed and even started making the occasional gay joke! It's been six years now since I came out to her and we are closer now than we ever been. If it should happen that she passes before I do, then perhaps I will consider what it would be like to have a boyfriend. I hope this "novel" will help you see that there is a way forward. While the path that my wife and I have chosen is certainly not for everyone, it does at least show that there are possibilities out there that might work instead of divorce. As far as Empty Closets goes, you have found a community of loving, caring and very supportive people and we will do our best to help you blend into the community. You can ask questions in any of the Sub-forums by creating a new thread or by joining in a conversation-thread that is already going. You can also post a message on anyone's Profile Page after you have made at least ten posts yourself. If you have a question that is somewhat private you can always send a Private Message to any Staff Member. Normally Private Messages can only be exchanged between two Full Members, but a PM to a Staff Member is an exception. :old_wink: We are so glad that you have found us here on Empty Closets! :old_big_grin:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

11. CarterZane

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would think so, but then again I've lied many times about my attraction to men. She definitely knows i'm struggling.