1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being LGBT is a choice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by caden0803, Aug 2, 2021.

1. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So far it’s a defense I’ve noticed used by people who are against the community. I’m making this thread because I feel like it’s an issue that needs to be discussed more. My main problem is that sounds like being straight, a cis women, and a cis man is a choice. They can’t help they’re attracted to the opposite sex, and feel comfort in the body they were born in. Therefore, my question is why should LGBT people be held to different standards? I get that’s apparently going against gods wishes, but I thought god loved everyone equally too.

#1 caden0803, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trying to have a meaningful conversation with those kinds of people, goes about as well as trying to get a toddler to understand quantum physics. They simply will never entertain the idea that their beliefs are wrong even if their god showed up and explained it to them. If you asked them when they chose to be straight they don't have an answer, because as we know they never made that choice they were born that way.

I had someone ask that so I asked them why they chose to be short and ugly, it did not go over very well for them, a lot of other people thought it was funny.

Unfortunately it is just one of those things the more you try and get them to face facts, they will only dig their heals in more to resist it. You will never change their mind, but if someone was on the fence about it, you might get them to look at the world from a different perspective.

3. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get really happy Shorthaul when unsure people are able to see it from our perspectives. It can demonstrate we have more allies out there than we imagine. If you’ve seen season 2 of Love Victor my favorite arc was Victor’s mom learning to accept her son for who he is. Despite how she was raised to think religiously.

#3 caden0803, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it isn't. Anybody who tells you that needs to go away and read the Bible properly and in context. Any silly fool can snip out a verse from the Bible in support of their own ideas and prejudices, but that doesn't mean they have cast iron evidence of God's wishes - and that includes some of the manipulative arseholes who are installed as pastors of churches.

If straight people don't choose, nor do we. It really is that simple.

5. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The very idea of 'choosing' to be LGTB+ is utterly ridiculous. You think anyone would choose to go through the stress and pain of coming out as trans? Or indeed anything divergent from the hetero norm? I've spent five decades hoping, trying, desperately attempting to be a 'normal' straight male. And it hasn't f****** worked!

Beth

6. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I often wonder how little of this logic people who use this argument apply to themselves. It almost betrays a tacit admission that they harbor same-sex attractions and are simply applying what they perceive to be "willpower" to "choose" not to indulge in them.

Engaging with people like that is a losing proposition, though. You can't convince a closed mind of anything. Whenever I encounter such ignorance, I either walk away or, at most, tell them I hope someday they'll open their hearts and minds to the differences of others and then walk away. Nothing more can be done.

Just remember; we've got science on our side. All they've got is a pocket full of horse-pucky.

7. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think, at the end of the day, they like to harp on this because it doesn’t affect 96% of their congregants. They can harp on this “sin” that the vast, vast majority of their people don’t understand and will never deal with and so they can feel morally superior about this. Little harder to do with with things like gossip or lust or dishonesty.

8. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello All.....Pray the gay away does not now and never has worked. If you are not a Christian, why would you think that praying to a God that you don't believe in would do any good? If you are a Christian, then you believe that God does not make mistakes. If that is so then you are as God meant you to be and thus there is no need to try to pray away something that God has ordained. This is based upon the fact that we do not choose our sexuality...it simply is a part of who we are no different than the color of our eyes. This is a scientific fact. If you choose not to believe the facts - it's your problem - but it is a fact none-the-less. Many uninformed Christians refuse to believe that sexuality is not a choice. I respond to that with the question; "When was it that you made your choice to be straight and not gay?" Of course they made no such choice...it was simply the way they were...just as those of us who discovered that we were not straight made no such choice, we simple discovered it as we matured. You can't pray to change the color of your eyes, neither can you pray to change your sexuality. No matter how hard they try a straight guy can not pray away the straight to become gay! Why should the reverse be true?
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

#8 quebec, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  9. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Could not have worded it better myself.