1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight gain during the Covid pandemic

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's about what it has been for me - 10, 12, 15 - something like that. I'm worried that this has created a problem with blood sugar. I will find out the next time I get labs because I'm on the high end of normal or the borderline. Does losing 15 pounds and going to the gym really bring it back to being around normal or to acceptable levels? It's good that you took control of the situation. It's not easy to learn about which foods do what and how to put that into action.

2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It wasn't during the peak of the pandemic. But a bit after that, I'm afraid. I could maintain my weight until Apr of 2021 when I had to pack up and travel to Canada. And I was stuck indoors for weeks. So I put on the pounds rapidly. When I weighed myself last week I wasn't very shocked to see I put on over 10 kg (22 pounds) in 4 months. :frowning2:. I'm working on losing it and getting back to a healthier diet now. :slight_smile:

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think losing the weight helped bring my blood sugar back down, and I think if you are able to lose weight fast after changing your diet, it’s also a good sign. Usually people with diabetes or major prediabetes will have a hard time losing weight.

For diet, I recommend eating a high protein breakfast and lunch. That means in the morning having sausage or bacon with eggs. For lunch get some lunch meats like turkey from a deli and start eating cheese with it. Whether it’s sliced or a cheese stick doesn’t matter. I like Sargento cheese a lot. For dinner, you can have some carbs. I would recommend having a side salad with every dinner. Seafood is a great choice. Mushrooms and shrimp are very low in carbs.

foods to never eat while on a low carb diet are potatoes, pancakes, spaghetti noodles, popcorn, doughnuts, baked pretzels, most bread, and any foods high in sugar. Also don’t drink beer as that also contains a lot of carbs and don’t drink soda or any other sugary drinks whatsoever.

My doctor had me on 50g of carbs a day which is nothing. So I did the diet above. If you’re not sure of how much carbs are in something, check labels on packaged food and there are all sorts of food graphs for good fruits and vegetables to eat that are low in carbs.

#23 Andrew99, Aug 5, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish doctors insisted less on insulin resistance. I basically lose menstruation sometimes. It impacts my health negatively, so I went to a doctor. Well, several doctors. And here the drama begins. I have a BMI closer to the higher end of normal, but I'm very sculpted, I train a lot. So maybe I'm not underweight but I tend to struggle with *sufficient* calorie intake. I have never been underweight, because it seems like my bones or muscles weigh a lot, but I struggle with keeping enough body fat to function properly, I noticed that I stop menstruating at all when I eat dietetic "healthy" food and lose too much weight/fat (it's still "healthy" BMI) and my body generally collapses, when that happens: unhealthy fat, loss of muscle mass, acne, unhealthy looking skin, loss of libido, depression, hair loss. Not to mention simply feeling ill. I apparently have high androgens, so they link it with PCOS (I'm not convinced about the diagnosis, I feel like it reflects more current beauty standards or stigma for not conforming to gender expectations than any merit) . PCOS relates with insulin resistence (because obesity can cause both, and hormonal problems can lead to weight gain as I mentioned before), so here we go: the doctor suggests I eat less and hurt myself. Or that I take anti-diabetes meds and lose my essential body fat and have even lower blood sugar than I already do (undereating feels quite bad...). I apparently had more insulin wrt sugar on some blood test and I question that, because I there are no "excess calories", no "too large" apetite (maybe too small, even), no reactive hypoglycemia, and another doctor said that young active people have higher insulin levels than old people with sedentary lifestyle, because insulin signals the need to use the sugar floating around in blood and sugar is released to support the effort being made, if the body functions properly. So... maybe for some people this whole thing with blood sugar it's true, but it's definitely overdiagnosed and trendy. But birth control pills that treat acne are even more trendy, and I'm glad she offered anything other than those. I was aggressively prescribed those for years for all sorts of problems like headaches and acne (yes, I'm serious), even when I said I don't need birth control and that I feel awful on "acne-treating" hormones.