1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

He said we're still friends but I feel I've lost him

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by idontwannabeyou, Jul 1, 2021.

1. idontwannabeyou

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    TL;DR: Two months ago I confessed my feeling to my ostensibly straight friend. He didn't reciprocate and said we were still friends, but haven't initiated any talk with me since. I feel I have lost him.

*** ***​

I'm new here so tell me if I'm not doing it right. The forum has helped me a lot, and I hope to hear some wise words again for my situation…

Background and the confession

I knew him two years ago in school, not best best but pretty good friends (like we hug, we share a same ice-cream — even though he knew I'm bisexual); now we're in different cities. I started to develop feeling for him when COVID started. End of April this year I travelled to his city; he let me stay at his place so I did. The last night before leaving, both sitting on the couch, I finally confessed my feeling for him.

My confession ended with something like "I know you wouldn't reciprocate but I need to get this out just because I hope you know that I might need to pull away from you a bit", which was more of a strategy to put less stress on my friend rather than a fact I knew for sure. He reassured that I shouldn't worry about it, and said "we're still friends, as long as you respect my sexual orientation".

What happened after and my thinking

While on that day I smiled and thought it was not a big deal, after back to my city in 2 months we haven't talked like we used to do. Earlier I texted once or twice where he responded in a normal way, but he had never initiated any talk which he used to. The more I think about it, the more I feel my confession had ruined how he felt about me. It sucked. I waited month long; early June I decided to block him to feel better, which helped a bit but I still miss him.

Like I said we're in different cities now. But I'm moving into his city next month for work and there's great chance we'll meet again. I don't wanna hurt or stress him but I don't wanna feel crap any more.

I need some wise words

I know probably I should stay away from him for some time. But I'm not sure what to do after that. I do value him as a friend (I hope he does too because he had been nice to me all the time), but I'm afraid of having another conversation with him again. Please tell me what to do… :'(

DaisysMomTracy likes this.
  2. old tacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds to me that you have put out mixed messages to your friend. He asked you to respect his orientation. You messaged him a couple of times after your conversation but his response was not what you hoped for. So you blocked him. Friends don’t block friends. He couldn’t reach out to you even if he wanted to. I think you should first unblock him. And then wait. Wait until you have a reason to text him - his birthday, Christmas, New Year’s Eve, your new job in his city. Ask him to meet you for coffee, lunch, a drink. And then wait. Wait for him to respond. And don’t block him because you think you have waited long enough. Friends don’t block friends.

3. idontwannabeyou

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you old tacoma. You're probably right I should unblock him. But after that the main thing I'm struggling with is I don't know if he really meant to stay friends or he was just being polite by saying that. Based on how he now acts distant to me (we used to talk almost daily) it feels like he no longer wants me as a close friend. And thinking of that just hurts so bad. :'(

DaisysMomTracy likes this.
  4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to Empty Closets. Given the way things have unfolded after you mentioned to him your feelings, I feel it might be best to let it be and move on. As you have blocked him and essentially drew the line in the sand, that is pretty much a statement of 'I'm done,' rather than 'let's see what happens once everyone has had some distance and can approach the friendship in a healthy way.'

You can unblock him as Old Tacoma suggested and see if he will respond to a thoughtful message; but I also think, it would be good to prepare yourself for not hearing from him and move on as best as you can. If you do hear from him, it might not be in the same way it used to be - he might be distant, or not wanting to engage at a deeper level. Something to be prepared for as well.

I would suggest trying to develop new friendships and take what you have learned from this forward. Sometimes it is good to send a simple message and ask if everything is okay or if you can speak with them, to make sure that the both of you continue working on the friendship and reassure each other that a confession will not change the building blocks of the friendship.It is okay to share that you feel the relationship is no longer the same and to indicate you are open to making it work based on what the both of you are comfortable with.

5. Lemony

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You blocked him thats way more of a message than him not making conversation, for all he knows you did not want to still be friends with him. Blocking was a really bad move.

idontwannabeyou likes this.
  6. Lemony

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Think about it this way, he probably felt really bad when you told him as he did not reciprocate and you’re friends so he would care about your feelings, I know I would feel bad upsetting a friend by not reciprocating the feelings back, maybe he felt a bit uneasy messaging after but a text from you asking why he was not interacting is way better than blocking. To him maybe you were angry about him not liking you back.

7. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC idontwannabeyou.

This one quote sticks with me. If you said you needed to pull away, and he is your friend, he’s going to respect that. A friend wouldn’t text or otherwise reach out if he’s been asked to give space. A friend who heard this from you won’t be surprised that you blocked him. A friend who heard this from you may be really glad when you feel ok to be friends again, and unblock him.

8. DaisysMomTracy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry this all went down this way. Sadly, I've been attracted to straight friends here and there too. I think we all have. Another bad side is that when this happens, it usually doesn't go well. I'm not saying don't tell people you like that you like them as more than just a platonic friend, I'm just saying I know this is something that usually pushes the straight friend away or the person who has not yet confirmed to themself yet exactly who they are in order to even have a relationship. It's all tough and messy. I agree with everyone, please unblock him. Text when you have a reason to reach out and throw in (maybe) that A) you miss your friendship and stress the word friendship. Then B) also tell him that you're relocating closer to him and you'd like to resume the friendship you had. I really hope this goes your way. Train your eyes to another interest (as in dating interest) the situation will only change and be stable if maybe he would approach you if he has any interest in something beyond friendship. That's usually the way I've seen this work. We all fall differently on the Kinsey Scale. Few of us are 100% gay or 100% straight. There are 99%s and 98%s, etc. Don't expect anything above a friend, but know for next time if they're straight-- let them make the first move. It's safer in preserving the friendship. I'm so sorry this is hurting you.

9. idontwannabeyou

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for your advice. Words from you all really have led me to think about this in a more rational way. I'm going to do exactly what you all have suggested — unblock him and wait for a good time to have another conversation about our friendship. I'll keep the thread posted.

DaisysMomTracy and Lemony like this.
  10. idontwannabeyou

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    An update: It's over. I'm done.

I've unblocked him weeks ago. My crush faded and I've been getting better with my mental health and been waiting and waiting for a chance to talk to him. The chance hasn't arrived yet but because of something that happened, right now all I wanna say is f**k him.

I checked his Instagram today. He posted new group photos of graduation with a lot of friends. There were like 8 pictures and 4–15 people in each. I did met (waited for) him outside the commencement and we did take pictures. I'm not in any of the pictures he posted.

Okay this is really cruel, my "friend". Literally right before I saw your post I still thought about mending our friendship and wished him the best but not any more. I have my ego. I don't need your telling me our friendship is over because I'm not getting hurt again. Now you've become one of the persons I'll hate the most.

With these being said, I think my mental will continue to get better. And I'm excited about moving to the new city but not because it's closer to this as**ole. My other friends are also there and I'm sure I'll meet new friends. This fake friend will find out one day I have walked away. However, if you do think I'm too extreme here, tell me something… :frowning2:

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um, wow. You're really reading so much into this and judging your friend so harshly.

It's sounding like you had not spoken with him since unblocking him, and just showed up at his graduation. If that's the case, your showing up was probably unexpected... and, quite frankly, probably made him feel awkward, given that you'd not spoken to him and there had not been any follow-up. It could be interepreted as a little odd under the circumstances. Thus, taking pics with you might have been, at that moment, a choice he made that he felt was the least disruptive on a day that is supposed to be *his* day, not yours. So when he went to put up pictures on IG, given that you'd blocked and avoided him and suddenly showed up out of nowhere... he may well have (rightfully) worried that putting up the pics with you in them might send some message to you before the two of you had a chance to talk things out. He may have been hurt that you blocked him. Who knows? You can't assume.

It does not sound like you're being completely rational here. The last line of your post, quite honestly, sounds like "OK, well, if you don't want to play with me, I'll just take my ball and go home" which is never what anyone really wants, but what they say to try and convince themselves (and others) that they don't care when they really do.

My guess is that at some level, you are still upset that he's not gay and not interested and you still feel attraction/connection to him. That's understandable and not uncommon. It may be irreparable because of the way it's been handled. But if it is reparable, it's going to be probably after 6 months or a year or more, at a point you've completely had a chance to let go of whatever feelings you've had.

I agree that in the meantime it probably makes sense to focus more on other friends. And take what you've learned from this experience so that you can approach future situations with others in a different way.

Lemony likes this.
  12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What’s done is done. As others have said, you probably just need to move on to find new friends. Many friendships do not last more than a few years; that doesn’t make them less valid or important. I do think it’s important to take a step back and acknowledge your feelings were for more than friendship. That’s something within you; your friend may have been oblivious like most straight people. And even with gay friends, it doesn’t mean there will be automatic mutual interest. Chip makes a good point to wait a long time before reconnecting, if ever. Focus on yourself and other relationships.

13. Phantom077

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Chip, you're really drawing a bunch of conclusions about signals that you believe this guy to be sending you via his posts. It seems like yall had a very sweet friendship before all of this happened and I hope that in the future you try not to place so much emphasis on what people might be communicating based on what they say/don't say online. I noticed that your status says 'brooding', you should stop doing that and try to move on with your life. There are plenty of people out there that I'm sure would reciprocate those kinds of feelings for you.

Chip likes this.
  14. Sp3ct3re

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    THIS IS GENERAL ADVICE READ FURTHER DOWN FOR THE ADVICE AIMED DIRECTLY AT YOU, READING THE FIRST PART WILL PROVIDE MORE CONEXT

I had this same experience last year, told I close friend I loved them, and they told me they couldn't reciprocate, for a few months things were aquard between us but now we are great friends again, but this situation can be easy to resolve, you need to show them that your feelings that you have(had) for them don't change how you see them as a person, and that they don't change you as a person, you might even need to sit down and have the "I have feelings for you, but I respect your opinion" talk, and they might have just disconnected to to nervousness on both parties sides, for all you know they were scared to talk back because they had a worry that they would hurt you.

Now for the real thick part of my advice, your gonna need to take this friendship from the start, ask about how they have been doing, the basics, slowly reconnect with them and rekindle that friendship that you had forged over years, this will take time but the outcome will be worth it, I promise, and they may tell you that they don't want you in there life anymore, but rest easy knowing that you tried, and at the very minimum you made some memories with them that they will remember for a long long time.