1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using “guys” as a general term

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by carebear99, May 23, 2021.

1. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's super contextual, for me! I use the neutral "guys" a lot (as in, I will address an entirely female group of friends as "oh my god you guys-!!") but steer clear of it when a mixed-gender group contains transfeminine folks just in case, because I know in that case "guys" has the chance to be as loaded as "ladies" is towards me when I'm in an otherwise all-female group - my neutral usage of it doesn't matter if there's a chance someone will feel misgendered by it.

Truly, I wish "y'all" didn't sound so absurd coming out of my extremely British mouth. (I do sometimes still use it anyway!) To quote Hannah Gadsby: "I love y'all, because y'all is the best, most inclusive second-person plural pronoun in the English-speaking world!" Every region needs a y'all.

#21 Oddsocks, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  2. onlyhuman33

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind it either. I just hate being called "Brah". It seems to be thing now whether you are male or female. yuck

3. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hate that along with "bruh." *rolls eyes*

4. Raisinsss

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meh, I've been called worse things. Depending on context, it doesn't phase me. It does kind of bother me when my brother is like "bro" or "dude". It's like, I have been out for six or seven years now, you KNOW it bothers me and you still do it. He says he's open minded about it, and for the most part he is, but sometimes it's like he still see's me as the girly little brother I was growing up. I'm not a feminine guy, I'm I woman and I have been open about it for almost a third of my life. Stop calling me "bro". Damn.

5. Silver101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally I don’t mind it. I use it a lot of the time as a gender neutral term along with “people”.

6. tidalpool127

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the use of y'all is expanding outside of the South, at least here in the US. I've heard people use it regularly outside of the South and they don't seem to have a Southern accent of any kind. I live and was mostly raised in the South but I was born and spent my early childhood on the West Coast, where I learned to talk. Because of that, I use "you guys" more than most of the people here. I use y'all a lot too and I don't ever mean to offend with saying you guys but it just comes out sometimes.