1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Got an Ultimatum. Should I Stay or Should I Leave?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by James657483, Jul 13, 2021.

1. James657483

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What’s that thing that you would use to justify staying or leaving a relationship? I have received an ultimatum from by bf and I am having a difficult time processing it. Even if you do not have time to read my post, hopefully you can share your experiences about it.

Ultimatum: I have by Friday to tell him if I am all in or all out. The all in means moving in together in the next two months.

Context:
    ⋅ My (M23, entrepreneur) first relationship (10 months) and my first sexual partner. I went on dates with other 8 guys beforehand.
    ⋅ I always want to improve myself and am relatively anxious.

⋅ He wants to enjoy life, not putting as much emphasis on physical, mental, financial health.
    ⋅ He seems to really love me just sometimes lacks willingness to do things he doesn’t like, which sucks.

⋅ I assumed that we would both be versatile; however, he hasn’t found a day when he would feel like bottoming in the past 7 months.
    ⋅ I am still judgemental when it comes to him not exercising, drinking twice the recommended # of alcohol units, endlessly browsing twitter, etc.
    ⋅ I have discussed our differences and disagreements a lot with him, watched plenty of relationship videos, my mind is nearly numb to thinking about this all over again. According to him I am overthinking and couples have disagreements.

⋅ I like my flat and my flatmate. Also, it’s cheap and at an amazing location.
    ⋅ My bf has a longer lease upcoming which he wants to avoid and that is definitely adding pressure.

Please share some thoughts about what should I look for if this is a relationship that I shouldn’t let go.

Btw, thank you so much for responding to my thread a few years when I was coming out and had difficulties with my mom, you have helped me during a difficult time. Thank you

2. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that ultimatums are a bad sign. A healthy relationship involves compromise from all parties in order to work. If he is presenting things as, 'my way or the highway,' that doesn't leave you any room to meet your own needs. Granted, he has needs, and those are important too. If the basic things that you need are fundamentally different, you're going to run into problems, especially if he is not willing to give as well as take.

I say if you're not comfortable, go your own way. You deserve someone willing to meet your needs, not just someone who demands their needs are met.

caden0803 likes this.
  3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not keen on ultimatums, especially ones that involve major life steps like moving in together. If you already have concerns about your relationship, then moving in together because otherwise you're going to break up isn't likely to make them any better. I'd also be concerned about moving in with someone who doesn't have a handle on their finances, unless you're fine with that.

I hate to say this, but is the ultimatum due to the longer lease? Does he want to avoid that by moving in with you?

caden0803 likes this.
  4. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ultimatums just seem unfair to me. It puts a lot of pressure on you both physically and emotionally. You’ll get so worried about making the wrong decision your overall judgment can get clouded. Potentially leading to massive regret later on down the line. In the end, you and your partner should get along with each other more than fight about things.

5. old tacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No hesitation to tell you, Leave.

caden0803 likes this.
  6. SteveBi45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with everyone else here. Relationships are about both partners’ needs. Ultimatums are a no go in my book, you need to compromise and your partner should be giving your needs and wishes the same attention you give to his.

It sounds like he’s doing this because the lease is coming up, but he’s going about it all wrong.

You could try talking to him again about where this ultimatum is coming from and the reasons behind it. Try to help him find another solution that works for both of you. If he refuses and sticks to his ultimatum the leave. Otherwise that’s the way the relationship will always work in future.

caden0803 likes this.
  7. old tacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As SteveBi45 wrote, ultimatums are a no go. When you tell him you are ending the relationship, make it polite, but be clear and direct and firm. Personally, I would not even attempt a compromise with him. Under the circumstances you describe, he is already attempting to manipulate you and control the discussion for his advantage. My impression is you reached out to this EC community for our responses because of your previous good experience here. Your instincts are again correct.

caden0803 likes this.
  8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Moving in together is something that two people do when both of them feel the time is right, they feel ready, secure in the relationship, and excited about going to the next stage. It does not sound like any of those apply to you here. On the contrary, you're being coerced into something you do not feel ready for.

So he loves you when it works for him, but he's self-centered and not terribly interested in compromise. Why would you want to spend a long time (potentially the rest of your life) with someone not interested in your needs or in compromise?

Again, if it's like this now, it is only going to get worse. Why would you want to be with someone who is not interested in your needs and in compromise?

So... this sounds like someone who is a lot more interested in himself and what he wants than in making a relationship work. Honestly the combination of excess alcohol consumption and endless Twitter browsing sounds like numbing behaviors, which are usually a means of masking insecurities or pain. The lack of interest in self-care is usually part of that as well. In short, from this description, this sounds like someone who does not have very good self-esteem. It is usually very difficult to be with someone who has major self-esteem issues, especially if they aren't showing any interest in owning their wounds and doing their self-work.

It sounds like you are putting in all the effort to make things work. That in itself is usually an enormous warning sign. You don't want to be working at the relationship harder than he is. And it is also your first relationship... which means you may be having a harder time seeing the dysfunction, because you don't have anything to reference it to.

The longer lease is your boyfriend's issue, not yours. You like your current situation, and absent pressure from your BF, you would not be considering moving. That should tell you a lot.

The long and short of this is... I see absolutely nothing that would make me want to stay in this relationship if I were in it... and I see a whole bunch of red flags and other warnings that would make me want to run the other way. It never feels good to end a first relationship, because we tend to idealize the first relationship we are in... but we also tend to learn a lot from it, and take that knowledge to help us to show up better in the next relationship.

Your boyfriend sounds like he has some major self-worth issues. He's playing the ultimatum card as a power play because he is insecure. That's a really, really bad sign, and absolutely not an indicator of someone you want a relationship/partnership/love interest in. It's true that all relationships have their issues, but it clearly sounds like you're doing almost all the work here, there's little sign of compromise or even concern about your needs or worries... and that is a very, very bad sign.

There is also another part of me that just... when someone presents an ultimatum... it pretty much always has the opposite impact on me that the other person expects/hopes it will have. Ultimatums are not done out of respect and love and admiration. They are done as an attempt at control. Do you want to be in a relationship with someone who feels the need to control you?

caden0803, old tacoma and James657483 like this.
  9. James657483

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I think it is, I was suspecting that he wanted to reduce his rent by moving in together for a while as he can’t be bothered searching for a flatmate and rents the whole flat. At the same time I have only learnt about the lease thing yesterday by mentioning that I love my flat. Although I have only agreed to start consideration of moving in after our trip to France mid August, he assumed that we were to already hand our notices to landlords by that point. The fact that I love my flat triggered him thinking that we are now going backwards while he has falsely communicated to most of my and his friends and family that we have already decided to move in. He obviously wouldn’t acknowledge that the financial/legal factors play in this.

caden0803 likes this.
  10. James657483

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There have been a few occasions when I was already sick of all of this mess and quite in a state to break up. Every time I would just think it is me who is overthinking and try to work it out. I know that a lot of attachment I feel to him is due to this being my first relationship apart from other things.

I know it’s not easy to provide insights to someone else, but I am really thankful for all of your comments guys, especially Chip, thank you so much for your support. I will now focus my energy on properly ending this relationship.

SteveBi45 likes this.
  11. SteveBi45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This reminds me of an ex girlfriend who did the same thing and forced me to give up an apartment I loved to move in with her. There was no ultimatum, but she sort of just bullied me into it. This pretty much set the way the relationship went from there, until the day she went and bought MY new company car when I was away on a business trip. Picked the car and colour and put it in her name. Never told me she was doing it.

That was the point when I ended it, but should have done it sooner.

James657483 likes this.
  12. James657483

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [UPDATE]

After my own reflection and plenty of insights from you guys I broke up with him today (a day after I posted this). It was a short conversation but he still reminded that he is hurt, that he introduced me to his family and friends, that I am putting obstacles for no reason and that I should be careful with other guys as they can do the same to me what I did to him (I guess break your heart after saying ‘I love you’). Kind of proved my assumptions although I am still feel a bit sad and lonely. The good thing is that we are having a film night with a few of my friends tonight. Thank you so much for all of your support.

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It sounds like you made the right decision. It also sounds like he started pulling out manipulations designed to pull on your heartstrings and get you to reconsider. Good on you for not falling for the trap.

Saying "I love you" is not the same as saying "You are the person I want to be with for the rest of my life" or even "for the next year." It is a demonstration of love and caring for someone. In this case, this sounds like someone who is really desperate and doesn't love himself, which is unfortunate, but which you cannot fix. It absolutely does suck when a relationship ends, regardless of who ends it, and there are always the "what ifs" and the rationalization that anyone is better than no one. But the rational mind knows that isn't the case. It's perfectly reasonable and normal to feel shitty for a while after a relationship ends. But hanging out with your friends sounds like the best antidote there is.

old tacoma and James657483 like this.
  14. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hope you had a wonderful film night with your friends, and your next relationship whatever man it’s with turns out better.

James657483 likes this.