1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing established straight characters to LGBTQ+ characters

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by caden0803, Jul 6, 2021.

1. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It’s an issue I’ve seen come up that I would like your opinion on. Personally I think it’s very harmful for the LGBTQ+ community and people who aren’t apart of the community. For the community it’s basically saying your not good enough to have original characters that you can relate to. As a result, here’s a hand me down so I don’t have to put in the extra effort. Then, for people not apart of the community you can’t have straight characters to relate to anymore. The community gets enough hate as it is sometimes they don’t need more hate on top of that through this action.

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not a fan of just a quick edit of an existing character to make them appeal to a different group. Also not a fan of a character being created just to fill a quota. If the major defining thing is either their skin color or orientation, its not an interesting character.

So I agree with you, they should hire better writers and create interesting and diverse characters.

3. Loves books

I don’t really think the about the impact on the LGBT community. I just get annoyed when a character has slept her way through half the available guys on the show and then suddenly is in to girls. I didn’t mind when they made Willow gay in Buffy though. Probably because college seems the time to discover that kind of thing and she didn’t suddenly like girls, her attraction to Tara developed over several episodes.

4. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Loves books I agree with you on that because at least they took the effort to hint at the possibility. It doesn’t necessarily contradict the characters sexuality if that makes sense.

#4 caden0803, Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  5. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m just glad Shorthaul we are seeing other creators make an effort to create characters that are diverse and interesting too. So fingers crossed that will continue for a long time.

#5 caden0803, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  6. SteveBi45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think these days they include LGBT+ characters just to fill a quota, and I agree with @Loves books about some characters in series suddenly changing from hetero to bi or lesbian/gay.

I also agree that sexuality tends to be the main focus of the characters created, rather than it just being about a character who just happens to be LGBT+. I think it needs more LGBT+ creators/writers/etc. where this can change.

7. Lemony

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish there were more lgbt characters where their sexuality wasn't their whole life or whole focus.
    Like straight characters have more then just their partner but boom Lgbt character and it’s all about lgbt/their gayness etc
    sometimes it’s good for it to just be seen as normal.
    “Oh Mum, Jessica and her girlfriend Lana are coming over.”
    “Oh yay. So do they have allergies?”

Just that. So we feel more than just our sexuality .

8. Phantom077

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The OP isn't talking about original characters that go through a sexual transformation throughout a movie/show, they're talking about the impact that reappropriating a traditionally straight character to serve as a token of representation has on the LGBT+ community. And I think it does have a negative impact on the community and I agree with Shorthaul. If orientation or identity is the only defining feature of a character, that's not an interesting character. that's just lazy writing if anything.

9. DavidDublin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there are cases where it can fit an existing character. For example, the character of Ice-man in comics had a lot of failed relationships with women before he came out. I suppose his case was helped in that some writers hinted that he might be. It has to fit the character though.

10. Phantom077

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Despite my earlier post I will say that I think there could be some right ways to do it. The exchange of ideas and content between the LGBT+ artists/writers and the rest of the world can definitely be a good thing. I'm not saying that LGBT+ culture should be siloed, but when I see something like a gay Spiderman I have to wonder if someone isn't just trying to cash in on a well-establish IP.

11. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It makes me very happy to finally get more clarification on this. I’ve seen the character brought up before now as a main point of contention with this subject. Some people agree with it, some people don’t. It just left me so confused where that point of contention was coming from.

#11 caden0803, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  12. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It goes back to @Lemony’s point. I feel some writers think writing LGBT characters is a completely different ball game compared to writing straight characters. We face certain struggles, straight people don’t, but at the end of the day we’re people too. Who can have similar thoughts, interests, personalities, and emotions to straight people. So it should be fair to think if a writer can do an interesting straight character they can do the same for us. Granted, they do the extra resource if necessary so it feels like we’re authentically represented.

#12 caden0803, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  13. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The points I brought up in my response to @Phantum077 apply with other communities too.

14. DavidDublin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also think writers are afraid to make the gay characters a bad guy. One of my favourite gay characters is Scott Pilgrim's gay friend who is a bit of a jerk.

15. Phantom077

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand of someone feels like it could help dissolve barriers between LGBT+ community and the rest of the world. And, in response to DavidDublin, I don't think someone should rush to the conclusion that a writer is saying something negative about the LGBT+ community just because a story features, say, a gay antagonist. I can actually relate to being gay and a bit of a jerk myself :slight_smile:

16. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm still waiting for the day a novel or film where the gay lead character is an anti-hero or at least a Byronic hero. Portraying gay guys as being a picture perfect, down to earth person with literally zero flaws is just too unrealistic for me to take seriously. After all, all humans, be they gay or straight, have their nasty side (like being a bit of a jerk). Just the other day I bumped into this article whose writer sums it up, perfectly.
    https://aninjusticemag.com/not-all-rainbows-rise-of-the-queer-antihero-aa8890dd51fc

"To be queer is to be human — and humans are messy motherfuckers." Excellent way to put it.

#16 BlueMonday, Aug 17, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  17. Phantom077

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, humans are messy as well as their superheroes.