1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I told my ex Boyfirend that I think I am bisexual .. He was ok until I mentioned online forums?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Jo Hannah, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Jo Hannah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi All,

I wanted to share this with you, I had a significant relationship from 2008 - 2015 with a guy 20 years older, truth is I never fancied him but I did have an emotional connection. It was the emotional ties which made it an on / off relationship for 8 years, the sex was mediocre.

We did not stay in touch or speak from 2015 - 2019 then he sent me a bithday wish and we have chatted occassionally the last 2 years. He had heart surgery earlier this year so I went to stay and help him for a week. The relationship is purely friendship for me I have chatted with him on the phone a lot in recent months.

He lives 4 hours away and we have no mutual friends. I could see his interest in me was maybe in getting re connected as more than just friends, he had become attentive and could see I was struggling with something, so I dont know how or why but I found myself explaining that I am not interseted in a relationship because I am going through this process of discovering my sexuality.

I found mysel telling him the whole story of the last 18 months ( contained in my ealier posts) and concluding that I can't be hetrosexual and am trying to come to terms with being something else that so far doesnt have a fixed label.

It was liberating to say it out loud to someone who knew me very well in the past. And in the safety that he cant tell anyone who knows me.

But I am now regretting it, I have pulled back from speaking to him since. He didn't react negatively to the news exactly, seemed to accept that I have been going through difficult times, and was a bit supportive to the clear impact its having on my mental health. That was until the conversation progressed and I told him I had been getting support on a forum (didn't metion which one). He said I shouldn't rely on forums, had a lot of negative things to say about sharing emotions online, getting stalked, foundout and basically told me to stay off the internet as talking to people in this community will only convince me that I am Bisexual / lesbian because I am looking for answers.

Now I am not about to stop sharing with you all as I think he is being narrow minded, and I genuinely believe that EC is helping me.

Has anyone else had such negativity about being part of a online community ?

2. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m sorry to hear he had a negative response to your gaining support in an online forum. Not is it appropriate to say discussing your issues or talking to people in an online forum will convince you that you’re Bi etc.. hmm..
    personally I have not had any adverse reactions to explaining I seek help from an online community. I don’t tend to discuss it’s specifically or inclusive to any sexuality type, I tend to focus on the kind of support that is available. Online communities may not be for everyone, yet personally I feel it’s a great platform to be able to me without worrying about negative responses. It’s nice to feel valid and included within the community and if I can help or support anybody who is suffering alone with issues, then I’m happy to do so. Being kind and helping others is something I value. If I did receive a negative response then I would I just say, that is your opinion and although I do not agree with your opinion, I hope it wouldn’t come between any friendship we have.

quebec, Jo Hannah and MistyMorn like this.
  3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um. ...

I mean, I would worry that people on the internet might be hostile and hateful or that they will offer untrue information. But convince that you're gay?

4. MistyMorn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dies he use social media? Same difference except here your in a more niche environment. That's all I have to add from the above comments which were what I was thinking as well

Jo Hannah likes this.
  5. Jo Hannah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He hardly uses social media these days, but we did meet online in a forum / chat room for divorces back in 2008 ..so there’s a weird irony in his opinion!!

Having paused to think about it I think he just felt threatened by the news and maybe a bit hurt, so vented on that part rather than actually show emotion/ disappointment towards my rejection of any idea of our relationship being rekindled.

MistyMorn likes this.
  6. MistyMorn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Completely agree with you

Jo Hannah likes this.
  7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's what went through my mind when reading your opening post. It's quite possible that he is disappointed, realising that some of his own hopes he might have had, will not come to fruition.

Also, having retreated from social media (which is probably a good thing given the way social media has increasingly been used, not just the negatives, shouting matches but also the 'oh look how great my life is', when it isn't), he might also have gained a different perspective on sharing personal things online when he mentioned:

which in turn could inform how he feels about you accessing EC. Personally, I never had anyone saying that accessing an online community for support would be bad; in fact, I joined EC after my counsellor suggested it wouldn't hurt to look for more support.

Once he has started to come around more, accepts that the relationship is that of friendship, things will likely be fine.

Jo Hannah and Love2sleep like this.
  8. Jo Hannah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update: He phoned, and we had a good talk. He admits he reacted against the online forums because of his own experience of such places.

So we’ve cleared the air, he know how much support I find in being part of this community and bonus he now realises exactly why I’m not interested in any relationship so the conversation was so much easier as I wasn’t having to be careful not to raise his expectations.

Unsure77, Mirko and Love2sleep like this.
  9. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That’s great news! I hope all is well with you and have a fantastic day

10. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad you got things worked out.

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great that you both had a talk and things look better again.

Love2sleep likes this.