1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi hi!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by hockney, Jul 3, 2021.

1. hockney

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    A belated introduction since joining a couple of weeks ago and resonating with so many posts from the LGBT Later in Life and Sexual Orientation forums. Uplifting to find such an encouraging, open and vital community. Not easily done so kudos to all you lovely people both in front of and behind the empty closets curtain! :clap:

I've definitely taken the scenic route to get here, questioning my sexuality since somewhere around the early Paleolithic era. It’s only in the last few weeks I’ve had the encouragement and just enough courage to start the journey of discovering and embracing the part of me that isn’t straight in whatever form that might take. At 49 I'm throwing in the towel on my life-sapping fight to pathologise, fix it or box it away. That old foe internalised homophobia runs deep. For that questioning to still be here after all these years I've got to figure it has something valuable to share so I'm finally ready to really listen.

Got my first appointment with a sex-positive counsellor next week. He's gay and has expertise in the area so will be great to have some support on the journey. Told my sister who was great about it all too. I'm currently single with no kids and have only been in heterosexual relationships to date so half of me is seeing this as a great opportunity to finally love every part of me while the other half is 100% terrified!

Look forward to being part of the empty closets community and thanks to all you brave souls for blazing a trail for the rest of us :ok_hand::heart:

2. Ludo

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome and well done with this big step mate. Not an easy one to take.
    I'm 47 myself and know finding your way can be hard at this age.

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hockney.....Hello and a great big LGBTQIA+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: There are a number of sub-forums here on EC...why don't you check them out and then feel free to join in the conversations! This is a community of loving, caring and very supportive people and we will do our best to help you blend into the community. You can ask questions in any of the Sub-forums by creating a new thread or by joining in a conversation-thread that is already going. You can also post a message on anyone's Profile Page after you have made at least ten posts yourself. If you have a question that is somewhat private you can always send a Private Message to any Staff Member. Normally Private Messages can only be exchanged between two Full Members, but a PM to a Staff Member is an exception. :old_wink: We are so glad that you have found us here on Empty Closets! :old_big_grin:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

4. hockney

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks Ludo mate, appreciate it. Your story was one of those that most resonated. So encouraging to hear someone close to my age on a similar journey being so open and honest about it :thumbsup:

And thanks for the welcome David, all helpful stuff to know, happy to have found empty closets too!

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes taking the scenic route, can lead to a better insight in the end, no matter how long it takes. It sounds like you are well on your way to embrace the next chapter of your life and be yourself. Glad you have decided to join and be part of the community.

Welcome. :slight_smile:

6. hockney

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks Mirko! I’ll borrow that positive lens to view this through, appreciate the welcome :slight_smile:

7. Stockings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello and welcome, im also new here. And 40+

8. hockney

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks Stockings, welcome to you too fellow new 40 plus-er! Rooting for the mighty Denmark in Euros :fingers_crossed:

9. Mus1cGuy69

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all