1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling very bored with my life

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by crystalbal, Jun 21, 2021.

1. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello Members,

I have something to share with you all.

I feel like my life is very boring. Sometimes, I feel like it is meaningless. I feel like I'm missing something in my life.

I'm working currently. In the past, I would go to my workplace during weekdays. I get to chat with my coworkers and go lunch with them. Sometimes, when I finish my work late, I would go to the nearby restaurant and buy my favorite meal and enjoy it. I felt quite happy during those times.

Now, due to the current Covid situation in my country, I'm required to work from home. While I get to escape from traveling to work etc., I feel very bored and lonely at home. I feel it very strongly nowadays.

I like to watch movies and dramas and listen to songs at home. I feel happy during that time. But after that, I get this guilty feeling that I did not do anything useful or productive.

I also enjoy going to cinemas and watch movies there alone while munching on popcorn and drinking soft drinks. While many people think it is weird to go to the cinema alone and that it is more appropriate to go cinema in pairs or groups to watch movies, I somehow enjoy going there alone.

But I get the bored and lonely feelings when I'm idle.

I do have interest in learning foreign languages and playing musical instruments. I'm not sure if it will be a good decision to pursue these interests so that my life won't feel so meaningless and boring.

Please do share your advice and opinions on how I can make my life less boring and more meaningful and to stop feeling that I'm missing something in my life.

Thank you.

2. Lemony

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you thought about writing, maybe fiction? It really helps to escape. Listening to music during the day. Making schedules and plans for each day. Face-timing family and/or friends. Joining online groups. Redecorate the house. Teach yourself a new skill.

crystalbal, BlueLion and MikeL1962 like this.
  3. MikeL1962

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I don't know what you can and can't do outside your home but..call friends and family, go for walks, start an exercise program, face time chats...take the time to learn new things...there's alot you can do for personal satisfaction...use you imagination...I hope this helps.

crystalbal and BlueLion like this.
  4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think a lot of people are feeling this way, especially right now when so many people found themselves basically confined to their homes for months on end with no real light at the end of the tunnel until recently. The most important piece of advice I have is give yourself permission to just enjoy yourself. If you like to watch movies and listen to music at home, do those things. It might not seem “useful” or “productive” because you’re not completing society’s version of “work” but relaxation and taking some time to just unwind is just as important as working. It keeps people from burning out. So when you feel guilty about doing those things, remind yourself that relaxing is its own form of productive, even if you don’t have a tangible product at the end of it.

Why do you feel like learning foreign languages and playing musical instruments wouldn’t be a good decision? Those are great things! And if/when it’s safe, they could also be opportunities to meet new people. There are online and in-person groups where you can meet other people at different levels of fluency on a particular language so you can practice together. You could decide that you want to take lessons on whatever instrument you choose to get better.

Is there anything else that you’ve always been interested in doing but somehow never had the time/energy? Writing a book? Learning archery? Painting with watercolors? Learning how to crochet? Playing Dungeons & Dragons? Building model trains? Now might be the time to give it a try.

MikeL1962, crystalbal and BlueLion like this.
  5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Being bored is at least better than being very stressed. It's never too late to try something new. The pandemic has really messed up a lot of our normal ways to do things and be social. Learning languages and music are great ideas. I miss my friends from pottery class a lot. You might look at what you enjoyed as a young kid before you became a teenager. And definitely keep going to the cinema; I usually go alone for more unusual "art films." There may even be a local film club.

crystalbal likes this.
  6. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get the loneliness and feeling bored. I find meditation, reading and trying to learn new things help me. The Covid situation has been tough and makes one feel more isolated. Sometimes just sitting in my garden can help, fresh air and the sound of nature can lift your spirits.

crystalbal likes this.
  7. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You mentioned you like to meet with your friends, go to the movies, get your preferred meal from your favorite restaurant. A lot of the other suggestions include reading, writing, music, etc. So I won't repeat those.

Have you considered zoom dates/hangouts with your friends? Watching a movie together on (netflix) teleparty, or just syncing a time and watching a tv series together? You could make some popcorn at home, grab a glass of wine, video call everyone and then start watching?

Or maybe all of you could share a recipe, decide a night where you could chat, talk and cook it together while on video call and then eat it?

Do you enjoy cooking or gardening, or talking about stuff? You could potentially start a podcast, an instagram account or a youtube series talking about something specific?

Just throwing some ideas out there. :slight_smile:

crystalbal, MikeL1962 and Love2sleep like this.
  8. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    They seem to be good ideas too. :slight_smile: I'll try them. Thank you. :slight_smile:

9. Phantom077

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could start a new hobby like others have mentioned. Maybe try to get out more and get some exercise while staying protected against Covid. Try something that you have never tried before. Actually, when you're bored the brain is doing a lot of work in terms of identifying what drives you and what bores you. Just know that the sensation will pass and you will come upon something that will spark your interest and get you going again!

crystalbal likes this.