1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm very worried for my friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BlankSlug, Jun 18, 2021.

1. BlankSlug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I met one of my friends a few months back. One day he told me about his status with is boyfriend and parents. Apparently his parents are homophobic and his abusive boyfriend is forcing them to stay together by threatening to tell his (again VERY homophobic) parents about his sexuality. I want to be a good friend but I'm not sure how to help. He says there's no way out, and I'd count that as a red flag. Anybody have any tips?

2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to Empty Closets BlankSlug,

I’m wondering if some of the EC staff can be of help with advice. @Chip I’ll tag to bring attention here. Yes what you describe is a big red flag!

So will your friend need a safe space if the parents find out? Could you help with finding that? Your friend should not be trapped in a toxic relationship, nor in danger from homophobic parents. Is there a domestic violence center where you live, folks who can give advice?

3. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This saddens me. You are a great friend and all you can do is provide a safe place for your friend to express how they feel and sign post them when you feel you don’t have the answers or advice your friend needs. I wish your friend love and light.