1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I stop procrastinating?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Canterpiece, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, seriously.

I've yet to find a self-help book that actually helps, and to-do lists are a trap because you end up spending too much time on organising them instead of actually doing the tasks. Meditating is mind-numbing for me, and just saps away at my energy.

Even thinking about it too much is ultimately self-destructive (so naturally, I'm gonna do it anyway! Of course). Why is the human brain like this? I know I've been in incredibly productive states of mind before, but I've yet to figure out how to intentionally make them happen.

Caffeine is a no-go because it makes me drowsy and unfocused. I am jealous of people who experience a buzz from it, I could really do with more energy in my life.

I've managed to fix my sleep schedule before, but you miss a day and suddenly the cycle has broken and it's really difficult to get back into it and you just wonder why you keep breaking a perfectly good schedule because you don't even want to break it but no your damn brain doesn't wanna sleep, it wants to watch pointless stuff on the internet for no good reason. Or you get up and think today's gonna be the day and you do a push up but then you fall asleep and you wake up at midday and then the day has just gone and I just ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:face_palm:

I'm not even sure what I'm expecting by making this thread. All I'm doing is having the same conversation again and again. I just wish I could figure out how to evoke that state of energy - when it feels like my head is buzzing and I can think clearly and I don't feel the urge to avoid my work. Haven't felt that clarity in so long.

2. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be really bad about procrastination, which I honestly think was depression related.

Part of it may be that you’re coming up with to-do lists that are unrealistic (if you’re spending massive amounts of time organizing them). Maybe just pick one or two tasks for the day that moves you towards a goal or whatever items are the most urgent. Maybe even just small tasks. Maybe it’s not everything you need for the goal, but it’s one step closer and it’s more than nothing. And then just mentally celebrate that you did your one thing. That’s how I got past it somewhat.

I also try to pick whatever items fit my mood (again, unless something is dire that must be done first). But for normal things, if I feel like raking leaves and don’t want to do laundry, I do the leaves. I save the laundry for a day I’m in a laundry kind of mood or until I’m out of clean clothes.

I dunno. Best wishes, it can be tricky to fight yourself.

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Canterpiece.....My procrastination kicks in when a job seems to be overwhelming. My garage is a good example. I realize my garage is a very non-serious issue, but it will work for now! In the Summer we use it to store everything on our patio and backyard that we don't use. In the Fall it needs to be cleaned out as we do park the car there. Believe me it can get pilled up to the roof! It is just such a big job that I will put it off repeatedly. I've found over that years that I can avoid being overwhelmed by the job if I select one small part of the garage, cleaning it and then walking away. The next day a somewhat larger piece. Pretty soon I'm tearing into the rest and it's all finished. This is similar to what @Unsure77 suggested and it does work. You can be successful one small piece at a time until you are successful with the entire project! You can also "cross-train" your success. I was a band director for many years. My band marched in the rain, the snow and in some very cold weather. We did it and won trophies while doing it! I would then talk to one of my "kids" (students) who were doing poorly in another class...English or Math and tell them, "If you can handle what we do in band rehearsal/performance and help win trophies, then why on Earth do you find English or Math hard?. It's just more work...and after all you've done you certainly know how to work!" So...do a small part of what needs to be done. Then do a little more. Prove to yourself that you can do a small part. Then by continuing on you'll be able to prove to yourself that you can do bigger jobs...jobs of all kinds!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

(edit) I am not saying that if you have trouble with Math or English that you are lazy! Those were just used as an example of the classes that high school kids complained most about. I listened to those complaints through a 41 year career as a HS Teacher. The majority of kids just didn't apply themselves. However, I do know that some students really do have problems with those classes. My middle son excelled at English, Theatre and Music and was a disaster in Math. So I do understand! So sorry if I made anyone feel less than by my Math & English comment! :old_frown:

#3 quebec, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    Unsure77 likes this.
  4. SteveBi45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is what I wanted to say! When I feel everything is too much I can’t do any of it.

Best thing is to break things into smaller tasks that are realistic. Start with the simpler ones that you can finish quickly. These will give you a boost of confidence and energy for some of the others.

But one step at a time…

5. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Listen, I know you mean well, but hearing statements like this brought back some uncomfortable memories. I can certainly relate to struggling with maths, I used to be brought to tears by my maths homework. The posters on the wall about how you'll never get anywhere without maths didn't help. It was anxiety inducing and I was told "Oh, you just have maths anxiety, that's normal", but it isn't and it shouldn't be normalised. Sometimes I'd start shaking and I'd get a temperature and I'd run out of the class in a panic hyperventilating. I was labelled as dramatic, stupid and lazy.

Frankly I needed professional help but I never received it. Instead, I was told that I didn't actually have the problems I told my educators about, that I was too normal for that. When teachers who weren't maths teachers would try to help with maths, I absolutely detested that. I remember having an art teacher who would ask me maths questions and would yell at me if I tried to use a calculator. Being put on the spot like that in front of everyone was absolutely horrible. Others students would feel bad for me and try to give me the answer but he'd tell them no and that I needed to learn. I felt stupid.

Sometimes it is more than just more work. I put a lot of work into my maths and worked myself to mental exhaustion. Even when I broke it down into smaller steps, tried different methods, nothing seemed to work. My biggest hurdle was overcoming the anxiety surrounding the subject. I wish someone had helped me calm down. Told me that what I was feeling was valid and not laziness or stupidity. I never passed my maths, I ended up failing the subject three times actually. My anxiety was a symptom of my insecurity surrounding the subject. I started falling behind from a young age and it just kept getting worse, it became impossible to hide my issues but I was insulted whenever I let them show. Such as copying the questions wrong by mistake or reading the time incorrectly. All I learnt was how to hide my problems as best as I could. I hate the education system.

Anyway, sorry, I couldn't help but go on a mini-rant there. Your actual advice is good. A piece of advice that I could do with implementing more and actually sticking to. *Sigh*

SteveBi45 likes this.
  6. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it possible your current procrastination is an anxiety or depression issue? In which case, is it possible therapy could help? To your point, maybe the procrastination is a symptom and not really the main issue. Again, for me that was very much so true. It was a symptom of depression for me. And I have anxiety now. I think all of that (when my procrastination was bad and almost crippling) was hand in hand.

#6 Unsure77, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  7. SteveBi45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Very true words! I thought the same, but that is probably for another thread. Not everybody can do everything. It's like giving a mouse and an elephant the same task - climb the tree. For the mouse it's easy, but not for the elephant. People are the same. I personally struggled with Math and languages and academic subjects, but excelled in creative/artistic work - exactly the examples of math and music - totally different for everyone. I was also labeled as stupid and lazy, yet today I work hard and have an IQ over 150. It just wasn't meant for use in Math.

8. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Canterpiece.....So sorry if I hit a sore spot about math. However, that was a very small, side issue in a post about procrastination. It was just an example of something that many people find difficult...I guess I was right about that part! :old_smile: Any way, I hope the message came across if you'll excuse my mention of math!

9. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you expect too much of yourself. I worked for about 12 hours a day and on weekends too and thought I was procrastinating. When I talked to others, they worked much less, had free weekends, and were surprised that I work as much as I do when counting effective hours (6 to 8 a day, 5 days a week) and do all the housework and go to the gym outside thst time, my expextations were just way too high and way above the norm, and I thought I was "procrastinating", because I couldn't fulfil these unrealistic expectations. And take into account that housework, having side job, having to deal with paperwork or with healthcare, all that is tiring too. It's not like you snap your fingers and it's done, it uses up your resources.

11. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exercising during the day makes me feel asleep at the right time. The exercise doesn't have to be super hard, riding a bike or swimming a couple of rounds or having to take a walk shopping is enough. I have been having problems with getting qualoty sleep too, so I want to start jogging a little everyday when I go back from vacation. Meditation also mostly frustrates me.

Is math the work you can't get yourself to do?

12. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. I went somewhat off-topic with my rant there.

Anyway, when I made this thread I was struggling with a rather ambitious project with a lot riding on its success. I had failed a university assignment, one I need to graduate, so I had to create a resubmission where I remade my entire project. The experience was incredibly stressful as I only had one month to do a project that would typically take three months to complete. I had to create a 3D animation and I was very pressed for time. Naturally, I had a few breakdowns during this. Everything was incorrect beyond repair so I had no choice but to remake it from scratch.

I did contemplate just failing but the thought of redoing the year was enough to keep me going. However, there were times where I procrastinated on the task. I hated the fact I was doing this, so in a moment of panic I ended up creating this thread. Thankfully, the project has now been completed and it has been submitted to my tutor. I will be finding out if it was enough to pass next week, so here's hoping.

#12 Canterpiece, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Mihael, PatrickUK and Unsure77 like this.