1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapy issues - issues in therapy

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Tightrope, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am not agreeing just to agree. I thought the same thing. The quick contradictions leave me very flat. I've hit the third strike recently on a third topic. He seems set in his ways on the viewpoints even when I explain the reasons and life experiences. They're not really sexuality topics. We have discussed many life issues.

It is so hard to filter through and find therapists. I prefer to work with a male therapist. That knocks 2/3 of them from consideration. My last therapist was very good but it was not feasible to keep him. There were some small viewpoint differences but they weren't bad for how long I had him as my psychologist. He told me that I should work with a male provider.

This psychologist has been doing what he does for a long time. He owns the practice with several providers there. I pay a copay. During Covid, it's virtual. Last week's session brought me to a boiling point. I have tried to look at the positive things I've gotten and tried to push down the negative things. I am inclined to think that maybe over half of the people who do this type of work are below par for the potential client population. We all know how some people are in it for the wrong reasons. I might have overstayed. Now I really have to think about what to do.

Lyman likes this.
  2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See, therapy should never, ever be "looking at the positives and pushing down the negatives." If you're having to do that, there's really very little therapeutic alliance, because that requires the client to feel like the therapist fully "gets them." If that isn't happening, it is severely impacting the work that's being done.

And yes, I share your belief that that probably half (and actually, maybe more) of therapists out there absolutely suck. I'm in a number of groups for counselors and therapists, and I have also met an awful lot of them in work and other professional settings, and am constantly appalled at just how misguided, un-intuitive, un-imaginative, or wounded so many therapists are. It's not so much that they're below par, it's that they are wounded and do not realize their own wounds. Even if they've been therapists for 20+ years. That's the sad part... most are unwilling to look at their own wounds, and if a therapist can't do that, they have no business trying to help anyone else.

Tightrope likes this.
  4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This paragraph especially stands out. I guess that what I wrote in a stream of consciousness post was something real and important that you picked up on. Now that I look at this more and focus on those words, it seems even more important than what I thought.

5. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really can't overemphasize how important the therapeutic alliance is. It really forms the basis for all work. A very large part of all work in therapy is addressing the trauma wound which, at its core, stems from attachment issues. So, regardless of what the acute issue is in therapy, underlying almost all of it is rebuilding (more at the unconscious level than the conscious, though both are important) the attunement and attachment, which cultivates the capacity for deep trust, and that, in turn, helps with whatever the next layer (anxiety, depression, bipolar, OCD, eating disorder, etc) is.

Tightrope and Lyman like this.
  6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not getting any better. My stomach is knotted because I've now become anxious about how to end this counseling relationship. And how that will go.

I looked at the date this thread began. It was over 6 months ago. That says something, too.

7. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand why your stomach is knotted, but that, in itself, says there's a problem with the therapeutic relationship. Any therapist should be ready to end the therapeutic relationship at any time if the client wishes to do so. If the therapist thinks there's therapeutic resistance going on (which I absolutely do not think is the case here), then it's appropriate to bring that up, but it is still always the client's choice.

It can be as simple as "I've thought about it, and I've decided I want to end treatment" said at the beginning of a session. In this particular case, I'd be inclined to have your mind made up so as not to be guilted or otherwise persuaded by the therapist to continue treatment. And then you can use that session for termination. (It should not require more than one session, and even there, it's only if you feel the need for it.)

Alternatively, there's no reason you need to officially do a termination session. It's OK to send a text or email or phone message saying "I've decided to end treatment. I'll let you know if I decide I want to continue."

In any of the above scenarios, if the therapist is hurt or upset... that's on them, not on you, and indicates work *they* need to do, because this sort of thing comes with the territory of being a therapist.

Tightrope likes this.
  8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks. It's because I've seriously started to come to terms with having a therapist that was not a good choice for me and ignored some of the red flags along the way and especially in the recent past. So I have to take some blame for that.

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Our experiences early in life form much of our responses to situations... because how we responded as children (sometimes as infants) was purely a response to support survival. Often that means cutting us off from our gut, our intuitions. And it often means putting up with substandard BS. Those strategies served us as children. Often they do not serve us as adults, but until we can unpack and look at what we are doing, we don't even realize we're doing these things.

10. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Geez, this sounds exactly like a therapist I have had a long time ago. Or a mix of two unfortunate ones I met. Run away. Really. People are more agreeable when they see someone on a regular basis, and if you take a break from the person, the BS becomes more apparent. All the talking down, telling you not to think, feeling bad after the session, telling you won't recover... I did recover, because I was lucky enough to listen to my gut feeling and simply kick out what I don't like from my life. Some therapists are really toxic.

Tightrope likes this.
  11. Iluvagirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm also a psychotherapist, and not that Chip needs any validating, but wanted to chime in here in case anyone is wondering -- he's :100:% spot on throughout this whole thread.

Chip likes this.