1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not speaking to your loved ones

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crystalbal, May 21, 2021.

1. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Members,

I have a topic to ask you all:

Was there a time whereby you had an argument with your parents or siblings and you never talk to them for many days?

There were plenty of times whereby I argued with my parents and never spoke to them for a few days. I will never even look at them for those few days. I feel that it does help to ease the anger that I had over them though.

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    crystalbal.....I guess if you need a little time to cool down after a difficult discussion, then avoiding a conversation for a short time might be alright. However....the very best way to deal with a disagreement or a misunderstanding is communication. If you totally refuse to speak to someone then there is no path to reconciliation. I understand that emotions can make talking to someone after a disagreement tough, but the only way that a reasonably good outcome will be found is through communication. So you are just going to have to talk to them...and the sooner the better! :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. Lek

Lek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How to communicate when we are angry with someone is something I hope parents would teach. . . .

David's right. You will have to talk to your parents sooner or later. Sooner is better.

Beneath my anger is usually hurt, so instead of blaming another for doing/saying something I'm angry about, I try to express that what they said/did hurt me.

Expressing anger often leads to defensiveness and anger, so getting stuck in that cycle just makes it worse.

Sometimes when I'm angry I say, "I want to talk about this, but right now I need to be alone." I use that time to calm down, breathe, and try to listen to what I want from the person I'm angry with.

There are sites with good advice about how to talk to an angry person and how to talk with someone when you're angry. Learning to listen, how to talk about your feelings, staying calm will take some practice, but learning effective communication skills will benefit all your relationships--the ones you have now and the one's you'll have in the future.

Good luck.

4. sojabohnenfeld

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know what you mean.

With my parents I no longer try to change how they think because they do not take me very seriously. I think once you get past this fact usually it makes it easier to work with people...

5. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all