1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It seems pointless to me to censor letters out of words CN:Usage of possibly offensive words

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QuietPeace, May 23, 2021.

1. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I find it annoying when people partially censor a word, for example s*x or s#x instead of just typing out sex. It seems to me that if a word is offensive then it should simply not be used. If the word is acceptable in context then spelling it fully out should be fine. If the "censoring" still leaves the word clearly recognizable then that censored version is no less offensive than the fully spelled out version. If the censoring makes the word unclear then it just interferes with the discussion at hand.

In a context where someone wants to be less offensive why not just use a word with similar meaning but with maybe a less harsh feel maybe more technical or something (substitute penis for dick). A different discussion of course would be about which word usage would be better in various contexts.

For people who censor certain words to avoid "triggering" such as r*pe for rape, I think that this is self defeating. If the word is going to be triggering then a clearly recognizable version of it will be just as triggering (and I am a person who avoids explicit discussions of many things). By partially censoring the word it makes it more difficult for someone to avoid it. It is possible to set up devices to not display based on a formula such that all mentions of a word block out posts etc. If one person partially censors the word that would then defeat the ability for another person to block such discussions.

Thus in my opinion it is better to use whole words in all contexts.

2. Lemony

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agree completely

3. jaxyu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same here. I think for words that pertain to religion or actually having a reason for being censored like: G*d, might be okay. I'm not quite religious so I don't really know the reason behind it, but I think it's alright. Although, yeah I definitely agree to use words such as those said in full/replace with different alternatives

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have thought the concept of censoring the word by spelling it differently is rather pointless. If you don't want to spell it out, use a different word.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Words are words. It's how we use them that matters. I remember hitting my thumb with a hammer years ago and the first word that came to mind was 'bastard'. I'm afraid ouch just didn't cut it in that moment. Would I ever call somebody that word? No, of course not, because it would be targeted, used with hurtful intent and totally inappropriate. Context!

I have never been a fan of twee attitudes that seek to censor words and language for the sake of it. Sometimes, strong language is how we best express the depth of our pain and misery and there is no way I would seek to censor another persons feelings. Nor should we close down healthy conversations about sex, sexuality and religion on the basis that it's dirty or blasphemous to use certain words in the context of the conversation.

Clearly, we shouldn't use words to beat or attack people or be profane for the sake of it. Most reasonable minded people fully understand when and how words should be used and they shouldn't seek to make excuses when they are challenged about inappropriate usage.

6. sojabohnenfeld

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This!

Same thing if you spell it wrong... your brain just adds it to dictionary...

7. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are many instances of censoring words on social media where it's done to avoid the notice of moderating bots or search bots or people who are inclined to harass accounts based on the use of a specific keywords. It has nothing to do with avoiding offense. It's also why, in some circles, you'll see people censoring out the names of people that they're talking about, to prevent those people from seeing the tweets, even if the tweets are positive.

It's very frustrating for the reasons that you describe. People who use features to block tweets that use certain keywords are prevented from doing so when the words they've blocked are censored. I've run into this myself multiple times.

8. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm no fan of censoring words, and I hate websites that auto-censor what you type.

Sometimes you have to change a word just enough to trick the bot so it doesn't convert it to gibberish. :lol:

9. Loves books

I don’t see the point of censoring. If you still know what the word is what’s the point? I’m not a fan of swear words and I only swear when I’ve hurt myself, but I don’t have a problem reading swear words I just don’t like listening to people throw the word fuck in every three words. And can a trigger word have no effect if it’s partially censored?