1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biphobia in reality tv (MAFS AU)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lemony, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Lemony

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So on Australian MAFS we have our first openly bisexual man named Liam. He chose to be partnered with a woman. His wife is named Georgia. So far his sexuality on the show has been treated with little respect. Similar to other Australian reality tv programs. He was in fear of telling his wife about his sexuality and was ready to tell her in private and instead out of blue in front of fellow participants she asked “Are you bisexual?”

She was supposedly ok with it. Until a few episodes later she asked how many men he had slept with and had to ask how many people he has been sexual with, It was an honesty box and set up for his sexuality to be viewed as drama.
    Few episodes later it is a discussion at the dinner party. Patrick a fellow husband asks him how many men he has been with and about his sexuality at the table. Inappropriate, then a fellow husband as they chat sits on Liam’s lap.

Episodes go by and on their final date Georgia asks in a disgusting way if he could handle not having dick in his life. He takes it well (doesn't react) She laughs.

Now worse. A video has been leaked of Georgia and two fellow husbands making MAJOR Biphobic comments about Liam. Also body shaming. One husband named Jason says “He is 100 and 10% homosexual. Fat and ugly. Hasn't been to gym in 67 years.”

Also calls him a wanker and that Georgia can do better and in the video she seemingly agrees and laughs.
    At the start of the video they are by the pool. Jason says “we are by the pool” Another husband named Johnny says “bi- bisexual?”

Jason says:
    “Hahah, bisexual.”

A previous season of the show had a lesbian couple on and they failed miserably.

Disappointing to see this on the top rating show in the country.

2. bighamster

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow. I know Australians are often considered to be very candid but damn. It makes me think that society in general can never feel secure unless it perpetuates prejudice. As soon as one loses social acceptability they’re off looking for one that’s still considered fair-game. I think that the dual or fluid nature of bisexuals is intimidating to many, even to an extent within the LGBTQI+ community...the whole you can’t have your cake and eat it too mentality. I’ve heard on many occasions that we’re “just playing games.”

3. MaraJ

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm Australian and it disgusts me that this is even allowed on television! Never been a massive fan of shows like this but this turns me away even more

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to hear that a highly rated show is being openly biphobic. I do want to say, and this is in no way a defense, but reality TV shows are anything but. For one, they tend to be staged. Participants are cast in a certain light and told to play up the drama. It's the editor's job to splice together the show in a way that gets people watching. No one wants to watch a show about two people who just "aren't compatible." That's boring. It's disgusting that they chose bisexuality as the joke here, but, I hate to say it, it's nothing new.

The end goal of reality TV is to get people talking and, more importantly, watching. That's it. Nothing real about it.