1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does gay parents with kids make them gay too

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by curiousme2, Apr 21, 2021.

1. curiousme2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    im wondering with like two gay dads that adopt boys if them boys will grow up gay too or straight? are the parents in closed doors so their kids dont know they are or are the open and wish the same on their kids im very curious how this turns out with families with kids all gay or just the parents in the closet.

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People are who they are. You cannot "turn" someone straight or "turn" them gay. The vast majority of LGBT+ are born to and raised by cisgender heterosexual people. Just by simple logic if being raised by a gay couple "turned" someone gay then all of those of us raised by cis het couples would be cisgender and heterosexual.

Lemony likes this.
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is absolutely zero correlation between gay parents and their kids being gay. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with a parent being gay or lesbian. Children do not "learn" sexual attraction by watching their parents. They do learn about affection and romance and what a relationship looks like, but that's identical whether parents are straight, gay, bi.

There does seem to be some genetic component to being gay; for example, my father's brother (my uncle) had three kids. He and his wife were super conservative Christian types. Two of his three kids turned out to be gay. One did not come out until her 30s, the other not until his early 60s. Fortunately, the parents were accepting. but it took some time.

#3 Chip, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Lemony likes this.
  4. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have seen different things. I've seen what you describe, but the kids turn out to be straight. My ex boyfriend had one bisexual son. It's not a matter of "how they turn out". People don't choose their sexual identity. Not unless they've been lying to themselves for a long time and then finally "come out". It's not going to make young boys gay to have gay dads.

Elton John has a little boy and I'm pretty sure he is not gay.

5. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, this question though... I don’t think it’s too ridiculous, but I mean do straight parents with kids make them straight too? That one I can answer and the answer is no. And also as a gay person if I did have children I don’t think I would wish for them to be gay, I’d wish for them to be exactly the person they want to be and are happy being. Just my opinion.

Shorthaul, Lyman and Shadowsettler like this.