1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testosterone Questions

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Noah98, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Noah98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, I'm new here and I understand that there are policies about posting about hormone therapy and medications, so I am going to try to convey some questions I have, while still staying within the guidelines of this forum.

I have been doing testosterone injections for about 14-16ish months now, generally pretty consistently. Without, revealing too much, it is no longer a viable/safe option for me to get my testosterone from the person I was getting it from, and I now have about 3 weeks worth of my normal dose left. I don't know how long it will be until I am able to get it again.

My main issue is that I don't know what will happen if I stay off T for too long. I am at a point in my transition now where I pass about 95% of the time, and I'm generally happy with how the injections have been going. But if I go off of Testosterone, does anyone know how fast things will change back? I really could not deal with starting to look like a girl again, or getting a period. I don't know how long it takes for that stuff to change.

Basically, I'm wondering how soon after I am no longer on testosterone, do I need to start getting it again before things start to reverse? I would really rather not get it from who I was getting it from before, but I will do what I need to do to continue to pass as a guy.

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is difficult to predict exactly how one persons body will react to going on or going off of hormones. A common expression on HRT effects is YMMV (your mileage may vary). Also there are not a lot of studies on exactly how HRT affects us and even fewer on stopping HRT.

From my own experience. I was on estrogen for a bit longer than you have been on T and then stopped because of pressure from a partner. This was over 30 years ago so I cannot remember the exact timing but as I remember it I felt awful almost immediately but for the physical reversion to start took months. Going back on I started feeling better almost immediately. Of course I have gone the opposite direction than you and the effects may differ.

Noah98 likes this.
  3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like QuietPeace said, it varies from person to person. I know some guys who have come off T and have gotten shark week back within a month, others have waited 6 months and still not got it back.

I think where testosterone differs to oestrogen will be mood. Low T will really mess with your mood, make you lethargic, decrease sex drive, more irritable, etc. so mitigating that would be my main priority.

Regarding how you look and passing, a lot of the changes that happen on T tend to be non-reversible. So your hair growth will stay the same for a while, if you're off T for a while it might start to thin out but 14-16 months should mean some of it is terminal. Your voice should remain the same. Fat redistribution into a more 'feminine' figure may be an issue and your time on T would mean that fat redistribution wouldn't have happened fully yet either.

Also the type of T you're on would make a difference about how quickly these changes happen. Sub-cut injections would speed things up as the T isn't in your body for long whereas IM are more long lasting and slow releasing. For your own health (mental and physical) I would really push to find a source of T again. Don't let this person have such a hold over your life! A silver lining may be that i dont think you will ever go back to looking like a girl, not in the short term anyway. Shark week I couldn't predict though. I really hope you manage to work things out mate.

QuietPeace likes this.