1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to date

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by jjusa, Apr 18, 2021.

1. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How do you date when you don’t fully know what your sexuality is? Do you just wait until you figure it out, then starting dating?

I’ve dated both men and women. Not for very long though. In my experience, I have found that I don’t connect well with the same sex. Typically the interactions I have are awkward and there is never a romantic spark. Usually there’s no eye contact. With the opposite sex, I want to get away because they want sex right off the bat (I’m female btw). However, I do connect a lot better with men and tend to find more in common with them, than I do with women. But that has never progressed into romance.

I feel like it’s a lose-lose situation when you don’t know who you like. You date because you want to find out who you like, but at the same time, you don’t know who you like so you don’t know how to approach dating.

2. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^Then nothing happens bc people aren’t interested if you have too much uncertainty within you.

3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Rather than worrying or putting a great deal of effort into "dating" (whatever that actually means to you) why not just work on being friends with more people and then see what develops. As you have more friends (or at least people who you spend time with) and have interests in common with eventually the spark of interest will happen with someone. I did not even think that I had any interest in men when I was spending time with and getting to know my current boyfriend better. We just kept becoming closer and closer friends and it eventually developed into a relationship.

Shorthaul and ShyBirdy like this.
  4. ShyBirdy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm in the same boat: I don't know which gender I prefer, (if I have a preference) and don't really know where to start either. I think I might start by trying to date women first, and then see how that goes. I'm picking women since I seem slightly more interested: when I think about dating women, I start thinking about getting some nice new clothes, and I'm more motivated to try and meet new people. Whereas when I think about dating men, I'm not as motivated, and not as concerned with my appearance. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes......

It seems like you're more motivated to date men, so I guess that's a good place to start... sucks that they're more interested in sex tho... It's one of my fears about dating guys. I'm shy, and a virgin, and I definitely need to take things slowly.

I do think @QuietPeace 's suggestion to focus more on making friends first is a good one.

5. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will echo what Quietpeace suggested, as sometimes friendship do lead into something more and if not, you can never have too many friends.

My dating and friend making advice is along the same lines, pick a few things you enjoy doing and look for people doing those things. As that gives you a common interest to start from. Also avoid going to bars or clubs unless you are meeting someone there as those places tend to be more for people looking to hook up more than a longer relationship. Personally I find both to be dull anyways.