1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Venting

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ClutchPopy, Apr 13, 2021.

1. ClutchPopy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is something I wrote down in my journal but I just felt like sharing because there’s no one else I can share with right now.

The more I acknowledge these homosexual feelings the more it becomes a reality. I just keep asking myself “why” over and over again. When I masturbate and think about guys I get like almost anxiety attacks. I have to stop and take deep breaths. I try to push through it and just say “it’s okay.” Like a way of brute forcing self acceptance or something. I’ve already I have these feelings. So...step 1 complete right? I’ve taken smoking back up. It makes me feel better and calms me down. I have a headache. One day at a time I guess...

2. Milos1598

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Definitely get that. I tried to back away from figuring myself out because the more I payed attention to those feelings the more I felt them. I also have that habit of forcing things upon myself, if I am uncomfortable I continue with it more forcefully. I say take a day off, when anxious thoughts come to mind focus on something completely different, do something move if it becomes too much, then the next day work on accepting things and think about it. Remember that you are at safe space with yourself, no one can see you or read your mind, you are free to explore by yourself. Then the rest comes, don't think too much into the future and about others, it's only about you. The sooner you come to terms the easier it might be because with time more negativity can build up. That mindset helped me. If it doesn't work for you, see what does, when you catch yourself pushing yourself too much think of taking a different aproach

Spaceseed, ShyBirdy and ClutchPopy like this.
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think most everyone who is out has been where you've been. As we process the loss of our perception as straight, we go through stages: denial-anger-bargaining-depression-acceptance. They aren't necessarily sequential, and can take minutes or months (or longer). But that's a pretty similar process for most.

It sounds like you're handling it quite well, and doing exactly what you're doing ("it's OK") is an ideal way to begin to change the messages coming up around the feelings that are emerging. It's a well established way of learning to accept parts of ourselves that are out of sorts with who we've held ourselves to be.

One suggestion I'd make: Try to find something other than smoking to calm yourself. For one, it's only a very short-term calming strategy. That's quickly replaced by a dependence that creates anxiety. The nature of the way nicotine works within the body is that it is deadly toxic, and the body's way of handling the toxins is to create receptors to bind with nicotine. So every cigarette you smoke creates new receptors. Once created, they never go away. Thus, when you quit, the receptors create the anxiety and desire to use that one feels. Over time, the receptors calm down, but they never go away, so if you give up cigarettes for 10 years and take one cigarette... all of the receptors light up again and the cycle restarts. The tobacco companies have literally spent billions of dollars engineering cigarettes to be the most addictive substances known to man. They are more addictive than heroin and more difficult to quit. The sooner you quit, the easier it will be and the more likely it can be permanent.

As far as your anxiety, there are better choices than cigarettes. Here's what goes on: Your heart races, and you have other feelings of anxiety, because neurotransmitters are released with anxiety. It's a feedback loop that starts with the thoughts, which release the neurotransmitters, which influences the heart, which influences breathing, which causes more of the anxiety-driving neurotransmitters to be released.

So what can you do? One very simple thing is deep breathing. As simple as ten breaths, taking about 5 seconds each for inhale and exhale, will reverse-engineer the anxiety you are experiencing. It provides extra oxygen, which feeds back to the heart to slow its rate down. This reverses the feedback loop and tells the brain "Things are calm, no need for these anxiety neurotransmitters." Breathing is *extremely* effective -- more so than cigarettes -- if you can remember to do it.

Self-massage is another. It sounds silly, but simply rubbing your arms, shoulders, neck, head, upper body sends the message that things are calm and safe and reduces release of anxiety-related neurotransmitters.

There are some excellent herbal supplements that have been clinically shown to help with anxiety. Ashwagandha is one, valerian root is another.

You'll get through this. I just encourage you to not fix one problem by starting up with another one.

Spaceseed and ClutchPopy like this.
  4. ClutchPopy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks man.

5. Sadness

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you feel comfortable, i would like to know what those feelings are. When i masturbate thinking about men i dont get such as panic attack as you do, but i feel anxious with a heart beat fast, but om the other hand i domt get aroused by the thoughts, just something that people describe as "groinal response", i dont even know if it really is, but i dont get aroused by the thoughts, i always thought i was repressing my arousal/feelings, but it seems im not. So what do you feel when fantasizing about men, is pleasure and happiness and arousal? :slight_smile:

6. ShyBirdy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi @ClutchPopy

I'm going thru a similar kind of thing. Sometimes, when I try and think of having a romantic relationship with a woman- I get anxiety or even panic attacks.

@Chip This is really helpful, and good advice.

ClutchPopy likes this.
  7. ClutchPopy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To put it bluntly I get hard as a rock.

8. ClutchPopy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah I mean, it’s like I’m questioning “who am I?” It’s crazy. I’ve never understood why people have asked me if I’ve liked men since I was 14. I’ve never seen why, I’ve never believed it, but it makes sense now. I’ve had girlfriends before and I’ve never seen the big deal with it and I’ve been just perfectly fine without dating girls or thinking about them like at all almost. Romantically I don’t think I have it in me to connect with one on a deeper level, but I am still sexually attracted to them.

9. Sadness

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh wow thats nice haha. So if you dont get hard as a rock with womans too, youre probably gay :slight_smile:.

Hope you feel comfortable with yourself. :slight_smile:

ClutchPopy likes this.