1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best way to approach a stranger and ask them out?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Adymoe, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Adymoe

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is a cute guy who works at the store next to my apartment. Every time I walk in there he stares at me and I'm 99% sure he's LGBTQ. I'm so nervous to ask him if he wants to hangout because I don't know how he'll react...it's not easy when you have to do it in the middle of a store. I was going to just ask him how old he was and then say "I think you're cute and wondered if you wanted my number?" and just hope he says yes!

2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you ask, be patient. Let them know they don’t need to answer right away and you are not going to bug them, but you shop there often and if he wants to raise it another time you’d be glad to hear from him.

I say that because back when I was young and unattached I got approached. I felt caught “on the spot”, whereas I bet they had put days or weeks of thought into asking. It made me think how I asked women out, and how I should have given them a chance to warm up to the idea.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What about something more discreet? Maybe your number on a sticky note with some dumb excuse like "you dropped this"? That way he isn't put on the spot, and if he's not interested for whatever reason, he can just not text you, or briefly text and explain?

Regardless on my out status/relationship status, I personally would rather evaporate than get on the spot like that, especially in public and at my job :slight_smile: But I also hate attention soo.....:sweat_smile:

Good luck!

4. Adymoe

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I'm glad you say that because that's what my original plan was and a few people said to grow some balls and talk to him instead but then I was thinking what you said...if I make him feel awkward he might just say no out of panic and then regret it! Maybe I'll just do the sticky note trick like straight guys do with girls...

5. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That’s an interesting idea, but I don’t think I’d necessarily twig what was going on in that scenario. Even if I saw a number written down on the sticky note, I’d probably just assume it was rubbish dropped by another customer.

Maybe I’ve been asked out loads with me even knowing? :grin:

Could you just try saying “hello” as you walk past him and seeing if he replies? Over a little bit of time, you might build up to more of a conversation. I used to chat to regular customers all the time when I worked in retail. It’s not unusual.