1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching someone else write with a left-hand.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Red Sun, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Red Sun

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am especially mesmerised by a left-handed person writing. I don't know what it is about the action, but I could simply stare until it's socially awkward.
    Growing up, my mother showed a bias towards left-handed people. She says that she reprimanded me when I tried to write with a left hand when I was younger. I am not sure if I wanted to use my left hand as a way of rebellion. For a year in high school, I tried to use my left hand to write. Whenever I held a pen or pencil in my left hand, I felt somewhat powerful. Lol. My handwriting is, however, terrible regardless of the hand I use.
    I realised though that I am not as fascinated with people doing other activities with the left hand.

I am wondering if anyone else thinks people writing with the left hand is very beautiful.

2. Really

Is it possible you are left handed and she forced you out of it? The only time I’ve used my left hand is when I tried writing mirrored script for fun. Or when I play ping pong because I can’t control my aggressive right hand play. Haha

I think left handed people are supposed to lean towards being more creative so maybe that’s what you’re picking up. Nothing wrong with that. :}

3. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm left-handed. Sorry to hear that you were reprimanded for writing that way. :frowning2:

4. LilLady9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who is left-handed, I find this very interesting! Never gave it much thought before.

5. Lesbee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a right-handed creative person and wish I were left handed. I intentionally practice doing things with my left hand (just because I'm weird and what if I lost my right arm one day and besides it's more efficient to be able to do things with either/both hands). I'm still terrible at writing that way though. I'm sure it could be improved with practice. I haven't noticed staring at someone writing left handed, but I agree it's sad you were reprimanded (it just wasn't understood for a long time) and maybe you are left handed like Really said!

6. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am left handed and not really all that creative. I am imaginative when it comes to gaming but I really cannot write (creatively, I can use a pen and obviously I am writing at this moment) even though I have tried nor can I draw at all (what I draw looks as if a 9 year old drew it).

7. Loves books

My brother is left handed but I never found it that unusual. When I was in primary school I had Irish lessons from a nun who had learned to write with her left hand after breaking her write arm. She did that as an adult. The convent was between both girls schools but only one nun still taught. She retired my first year at the secondary school. All the nuns are old.

8. Red Sun

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's possible. Though it makes me sad to think I could have been left-handed. I adore the idea.
    I am creative which aligns with Really's idea.

I guess my fascination with people writing with a left hand is unusual. lol. A fun fact maybe?

9. Really

I wonder if you could get it back with a bit of practice. Might be interesting to try. Would be a cool party trick if you had the same handwriting with both hands!

10. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

I’m ambidextrous. Perhaps that’s because I’ve played keyboard instruments from being a child. I do a lot of things the left handed way, though I write with my right hand.

I remember my mum telling me she wrote with her left hand as a child but parents and teachers kept taking the pencil out of her left hand and placing into her right. This was in the 1940’s.

11. Red Sun

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I could try to practice more, though my left handwriting may be neater than my right handwriting.

Did she end up using her right hand or left hand to write?

12. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

She is now totally right handed

13. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mom & I are both right handed, while my Dad & brother are left handed. Since I've seen it my entire life, it's not very interesting to me aha. My brother always complained about how his writing would smear since he'd have move his hand over what he wrote in order to keep writing.

14. Red Sun

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can see how that can be an inconvenience.