1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Type 2 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by CharlieChalk, Apr 4, 2021.

1. CharlieChalk

Hey guys,

I'm about to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes - I went for an immigration medical where they found high glucose levels and I've been tested it at home with a self-test kit and yeah, it's 90% likely to be the diagnosis (my blood level hasn't dropped below 14 mmol/l in the 2 weeks of testing).

I haven't told anyone and probably won't due to judgemental people in my life etc.

But I was just wondering if there was anyone on here who had any advice/guidance or suggestions of support guides/information.

Thank you in advance.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The good news with Type 2 is that for many people, it is entirely controllable by diet. I'm no expert on this, but basically, you can cut way down on certain foods:
    • refined carbs (pasta, most non-whole grain breads, refined grains like white rice, etc)
    • sugar of all types
    • pretty much all packaged/prepared foods, since almost all have added sugar)
    • sodas and fruit juices
    • crap snack food, cookies, ice cream, etc
    This means, basically, eating more freshly prepared foods, lots of fruits and vegetables, complex carbs, whole grains. It may sound daunting, but it really isn't once you get the hang of it. Simple exercise, like walking 30 minutes a day, also has an enormous impact on overall health. And since type 2 diabetes and obesity or excess weight are correlated, there is also an issue with leptin resistance, which makes it difficult to lose weight. This is correlated with the amount of stress in your life and also the foods you eat. So by improving your diet as above, you'll reduce your body's resistance to leptin, which helps metabolize fat and enhance absorption of carbs.

QuietPeace and Comrade like this.
  3. Comrade

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    And also, I think the treadmill is a great way to exercise too! You don't have to go outside every day, and you can watch TV!

Chip likes this.
  4. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi CharlieChalk,

What @Chip and @Comrade said. From what I see among friends and reading studies that is the best disciplined route to go.

Exercise timed to be after a meal allows other processes in the body to deal with glucose rush, and helps eliminate peaks that get too high.

Note that a diabetic’s body probably does not know the difference between the amount of sugar in fruit compared to candy. They are all a carb rush. It is just that the nutrients and fiber in the fruit are good for you in other ways. Some folks I know have to cut out potatoes, bread, fruit (and other stuff that is supposed to be better for you) because it still causes blood sugar spikes.

Prescribed early start of Metformin is supposed to be good too. Some folks get tummy troubles from it, but if that goes away after days or a week it is pretty safe and effective and tolerated.

Edited to say: I am not a doctor.

#4 DecentOne, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Comrade likes this.