1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning my life’s journey

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Dreamland, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Dreamland

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am a married woman with 2!grown children. I have always known of my interest in woman since I was quite young. But I followed the “rules” and met and married a man and had children. Some years ago I was approached by a younger woman who was interested in me for more then friendship. I was thrilled and eagerly entered into a relationship with her. Needless to say we were together for several years but I could not give her the commitment she wanted and we ended things. It is only now that I realize that I have lost the love of my life and I am devastated. I am torn between coming out as my true self to hopefully find happiness with another woman and my commitment I feel towards my husband and family. I don’t want to hurt anyone. But I also can not continue to hurt myself. I would greatly accept any and all advise anyone could give me. Or just someone who understands and would like to occasionally chat about things. I guess what I really need are friends who understand and can lend me a shoulder to cry on once in a while. Th aka for listening.

2. Lesbee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Dreamland Wow that sounds so hard - to have loved her and let her go, to be hiding who you really are for years, and of course the understandable concern for the feelings of your family members. I just want to acknowledge your bravery for looking deeper at your true self and exploring the possibility of living a life that honors who you are.

I recently came out to my 3 teens and partner of 5 years, and I know not every situation goes as smoothly as mine has been so far, but everyone has been very supportive. My family knows my orientation isn’t something I can choose, and knows it’s a difficult thing to speak up about, especially when you have a partner and children. I know there are several others here who have done the same thing, so you’re not alone!

Whatever you decide to do or not do, we’re here for you and there’s no judgement. ❤️

3. SkipNY

SkipNY Guest

Such a difficult situation. I relate to much of it. We do what is expected (maybe how we were brought up), have wonderful families and then try to avoid hurting them even it it means denying who we are. I wish I had advice for you but I am in a very similar boat. I am here if you want to talk, or vent. And, please share if one of the great people here come up with something that could help us both. Good luck and welcome.

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dreamland.....Hello and a great big LGBTQ+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: There is a sub-forum here on EC that is titled "Sexual Orientation". If you post there I think you'll find people who will understand how you feel and will be able to offer support and understanding! :old_big_grin: We are so glad that you have found us here on Empty Closets!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

5. Elli7

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand, it is a difficult situation, I hope everything will go well
    You can write anytime :slight_smile:

6. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

Hello and welcome, I totally relate! You’re definitely not alone.

7. eccentric2

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Same situation here... Afraid of the consequences of facing the reality. Sacrificing ourselves for the sake of our family.
    But this forum helps a lot on discovering who we really are and knowing there are people who supports and understand us.
    We have each other shoulders in this journey.

8. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi @Dreamland and welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

As others have said, you’re not alone. I hope you find the support that you’re looking for on EC.

9. MikeL1962

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am right where you are. I am 59...married for 25yrs and now coming to terms with my feelings and true self. I came out to my wife several years ago and have acted on it with her blessings...but I fear it's not enough to be true. We co-exist and get along well enough...I guess what I'm trying to say is its complicated...lol

10. Dreamland

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    yes it is very complicated. I am sure my husband knows. And yes we coexist and get along. But it’s not enough for me anymore. I have met someone that I want to build a relationship with. But my marriage is a giant obstacle in that. I have just started therapy with someone who specializes in my situation. It’s all uphill now. I can’t wait to crest the top. Keep in touch, will you? We may be able to console or advise each other.

11. MikeL1962

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I will...

12. MikeL1962

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dreamland, that would be nice.

13. Dreamland

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Mike. How have things been going for you? Not so good with me. Someone I thought I would build a relationship with is not the person I thought she was. Once again I have allowed myself to be used. When will I learn. Sometimes I feel like I am not meant to be happy. Oh well just thought I would check in. Have a good night.

14. Dreamland

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Gosh I would love to chat sometime. I foolishly thought I had sound someone to build a relationship with but that is not to be. So back to the beginning. All I want is someone who wants me for who I am. Sorry to babble. Hope you have a good day.

15. MikeL1962

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Dreamland, sorry to hear about that. There's always somebody else..you can't realistically expect to hit it off with everyone. I've ran into people that appear sincere only to find out later it wasn't true..I wish I could give you a hug and tell you it'll never happen again. Just try not to be jaded by this experience but also guard your heart closer next time.

16. MikeL1962

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry to hear that..I wish I could give you a hug. The right person doesn't come along very often...guard your heart but don't be jaded by your experience...it happens.

17. Dreamland

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Mike. How are things going for you? I am managing. Foolishly hanging on to last relationship by a thread but I know the thread will break soon. If I remember you are still married and your wife knows how you feel. Are you in an open marriage? Did you say you had children? Grown? Do they know? How do you manage? Have you met anyone you would want to spend all of your time with? Sorry to me so intrusive. Please don’t answer if you don’t want to. I appreciate the offer of a hug. His know I need one. Oh well off th work I go. I hope you have a great day.

18. MikeL1962

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes we are in an open Marriage...it's more of a business partnership at this point. I am seeing someone and it is getting serious...I have a Daughter from a previous marriage (yup..I didn't get the message the first time) and twin Granddaughters. My daughter and son in law know but not the grandkids at this point. I think if things get more serious we'll have to deal with it then. At the same time right now I really am not in a hurry to change things. I wish we could talk cause I hate trying to explain thing in this type of platform.

19. Dreamland

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Mike. My real name is Julie and I live in Maryland. I know I told you I was hanging onto another online relationship with someone I met on another forum. Well let’s just say I was accused of some terrible things I never did and as always I am made out to be the bad guy. I hate it when I am not given a chance to explain anything and fully understand what is going on. But I also think she was looking for a way out and if blaming me did that for her then I will manage it. I am sad very sad. But you don’t need to be burdened with all of that. Tell me about who you have met? I think you said it is getting serious. But you were not ready to make a change. If you are in a open marriage don’t you think your wife would understand? Well I am assuming you are married to a woman. And you said your children know. Are your grandchildren old enough to understand! You had said you wished you could give me a hug and that would be nice. My father is passed away and although you and I are close in age I think it would feel like an accepting fatherly hug. But I don’t think I will be able to get close to anyone ever again let alone trust anyone. I have been hurt to many times and I always take the blame. Hoping it will make the other person feel better and be able to move on. I don’t know why I told you all of that. I guess I just needed to. It’s ok if you don’t want to respond. I only wish you happiness in your journey. You have a kind face in your profile picture. I think if we ever met we could be fast friends. Thanks again for letting me bend your ear.

20. Dreamland

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all