1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Ask My Parents To Let Me See A Gender Therapist?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Amory, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Amory

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like I said in another post, I came out to my parents as nonbinary a few days ago. The thing is, it seems like such a sensitive topic now, that I'm afraid to bring it up. I know their reaction was better than most other people would get, but it just feels like there's this heavy air in the house now.

but... i really want to start seeing a gender therapist. I want to transition into the person that I want to be. But I feel like bringing up the topic is just going to hurt my parents. I don't know what to do. They'll surely notice my transition, so I can't keep it a secret. What do I say??? How do I bring it up??? pls help me.

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could frame it as wanting to see someone who specializes in it in order to work out who you really are and about getting help to explain it all. If they say they are concerned about you making permanent changes you can let them know that hormones are not allowed for anyone until 16 and surgeries are not allowed until 18 and so those would not be issues that you would even be addressing. You are just looking to discuss things to become more comfortable with who you are, which is what therapy is all about anyway.

3. Amory

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thanks! this is going to be a big help!