1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turns out, I am a lesbian.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Red Sun, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Red Sun

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For the longest time, I have questioned and doubted my sexuality. When I was young, I had my first same-sex experience. I did not know the term lesbian or straight. I was simply me. A girl in love with another girl.

As I grew, I realised that everyone around me continually said that homosexuality was a sin, including those that weren't religious. All the stories I heard about homosexuality were completely homophobic and mean. I never dared to share with anyone that I had loved a girl before. At this time, we had moved to a new district.

Lockdown gave me time to think. I downloaded TikTok and saw many people who embraced their sexuality. It was fascinating that there were places where people got to be themselves. Over the last year, I have come to embrace my queerness. I joined EC when I was questioning. I couldn't choose between bisexuality and homosexuality. It was until a day ago, when it hit me, like a ton of bricks, that I was indeed gay.

I did not realise how much growing up in a heteronormative and homophobic society had made me repress my true sexuality. I saw myself for the first time in a long time and I still do. I came out to myself yesterday and coloured the lesbian flag. I have been so happy since. I am free!

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations, I hope that the feeling of freedom stays with you and that some day you find someone special to share your life with.

3. LilLady9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm happy to hear you no longer question or doubt your sexual orientation. That's wonderful!

4. K80outloud

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m so happy for you! :slight_smile: What a wonderful feeling!! What was your favorite part of the first full day of seeing yourself in a long time?

5. Red Sun

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for the support. It warms my heart.
    My favourite part was my first feeling of no guilt when I thought of my sexuality. Before I always blamed myself, but that day I accepted and embraced it.

K80outloud likes this.
  6. Lesbee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love this! I feel like I'm right there with you -- I'm SO CLOSE. Yesterday I looked myself in the mirror and affirmed out loud, "I'm a lesbian!" a few times, and it feels like it is just a fact. I feel like to be "fully out to myself" I'd be ready to upend my current (hetero) relationship and living situation, so I feel about 75% there. I'm just going to therapy to double check that there's not just some sneaky stuff my brain is doing around old traumas first... but I feel like I move percentage points closer to coming out to myself every day. Thank you for sharing your experience! It gives me hope and I'm so happy for you!

Red Sun and K80outloud like this.
  7. Lesbee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Peeps, I don't want to hijack this thread, but maybe @Red Sun inspired me to take the next step. Last night I made it official. I came out to my partner definitively and he's (so far) super supportive and says he could tell that's where I was. I'm still going to therapy, but this I know to be true. Thank you all for being part of my journey!

Red Sun likes this.
  8. Red Sun

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Lesbee I am so happy for you too. :slight_smile: I am glad your partner is supportive. I am also happy that sharing my experience gave you hope.

Lesbee likes this.
  9. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, @Red Sun, and thank you for sharing. :slight_smile:

Red Sun likes this.