hostility about identity??(rant?)

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by elegia, Feb 8, 2021.

1. elegia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So basically, ive been met with a lot of hostility from friends after coming out/trying to talk about struggling with my identity?? Im pretty hurt by this, since it's something that's obviously sensitive and very personal for me to open up about. Basically, i've been told that it's weird to be confused at my age(20) and also that i shouldn't feel scared because everyone is so accepting now(they all said this in a weirdly hostile way though, not hearing me out at all). Well honestly i feel that a lot of people are still not so accepting.. i've still had to endure weird/insensitive comments and rants about LGBT+ by friends and family... which have made me feel very insecure and alienated. It's obvious that some "tolerate" rather than accept....So yeah idk i guess this is just a rant...

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am so sorry that you have had to endure this. At least you do have people here at EC who do not just "tolerate".

While 20 may be late compared to some it is far from late compared to many others. I have known some people who only started to question in their 50s and 60s and I have known of (difference between IRL and online) at least one who was in their 70s when starting.

Whether your alleged friends are gaslighting you over your timing or about the alleged safety of being out it does not matter, discounting your experience is abusive. Concentrate on the people in your life who will celebrate your true self with you. It might even be helpful to distance yourself at least for a time from the negative people.

3. elegia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i think i will do this... thank you for your reply, it means a lot!!!!!