1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I start a conversation

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Tymee, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Tymee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think one of the reasons I'm still hiding in the closet is because I don't know how to start a conversation with a guy. I get tongue tied and sound like an idiot. Another reason is I'm afraid I get shot down (which is expected) and be embarrassed. I know shallow reasons for not coming out (there are a few more). I just want to be able to talk with a guy and not get nervous. I have no issues chatting on line with a guy but the face to face contact is so awkward for me. Have any of you experience that?

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get very nervous and tongue tied around anyone that I might be attracted to, which might be women or men (more often women). This does not keep me from being open about being LGBT however, being out is how I have met most of my friends and romantic partners. I have only initiated contact with others a couple of times in my life, most of the people who I have been in relationships with approached me.

3. Tymee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know I have to get out there its really hard to find someone in the closet. Thank you for your response, I hope you have a great day.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is something common to just about everyone early in their coming out stages, regardless of age. If you think about it, people have spent much of their lives up to that point hiding a part of themselves. And the longer you've been hiding it, the harder it is to come out. But part of the process of getting past that is simply taking the plunge and doing it. We stay in the closet because we are worried people won't accept us. We don't go up and talk to people because we are worried they'll reject us. And the truth is, maybe some folks will reject us. But guess what? That's *their* problem, not ours.

So when we resolve to understand and accept that, and be who we are, then it becomes easier. ANd if we still find ourselves having difficulty recognizing that someone else's rejection of us matters... that's when we need to look at ourselves more deeply, and explore the underlyilng self-esteem/worthiness issues.

5. Tymee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you Chip I think you got something there. Your absolutely right I'm afraid of the rejection and embarrassment. Thank you again for your input