1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

God's Own Country

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by johndeere3020, Dec 23, 2020.

1. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    A movie I recently discovered. I wasn't quite prepared for the authentic way in which the director told his story. I guess that is what a good movie should do, but it brought feelings and memories to the surface that I have fought to bury. Brokeback Mountain ended in a way that was almost expected, at least in my mind, but this was different.
    I'm not sure how I feel.......

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It’s a great movie. Very believable

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a great movie. Kind of raw and edgy, but feels really authentic too. Tell me, what memories did it bring to the surface and where are you with them?

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dean.....Hey! Haven't talked with you for a while. Hope you are well and still enjoying your tractor(s). I grew up on a farm and learned to drive on an old 1932 (I think?) Orange Case tractor when I was about 9 years old. I was too small to buck the bails of hay so I had to (got to :old_smile:) drive. When I was about 12 or so I got the fun of bucking the bails and my mom got to drive. I learned a lot on the farm that I've used in my life...but farming or even living in the country was just not for me. I've never seen "Broke Back Mountain", I guess I should some day! Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a better New Year!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

#4 quebec, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    gravechild likes this.
  5. bluehorizon

"It was a friendship that became a secret."

Brokeback Mountain (2005) is a powerful movie, not least for its assured but sensitive direction by Ang Lee and the performances of the four main cast members. Especially powerful is Michelle Williams as Alma, strongly in love with her husband but understanding way too late why he has been so remote from her. The recognition scene is bitter for her, and heartbreaking.

Here's the trailer:

6. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello everyone, it has been awhile since I have been on EC. Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe.

I guess, to answer you question Patrick, there were a lot of triggers for me. The attitude of the parents, the farm critters, the anger of the boy, Extreme feeling of isolation. The drinking, inside of the barn and especially the death of the baby lamb. I had to shoot a baby calf once, the most beautiful little red and white faced Herford calf. The report of the old Remington 22 rifle.....I hated myself for having to do that.

Everything but the happy ending.

7. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I learned to drive when ~14. Dad threw me the keys to the truck, stick shift I might add, and pointed to the cornfields. He said something like ~"don't hit any trees." Trees did run along the service tracks along the fields so I guess it was possible to hit a tree or two. I didn't. God what a blast. I was finally an adult and driving!

Its been eons since I've seen the movie. Saw just once. I really did not have the maturity so see it even though I was in my 30s. Reflecting a bit about when I did see it, I felt shame kicked in when I saw the movie.

The same.

8. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bingo.

Bingo

I find letting the pain go most difficult also.

9. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To answer the second part of your question @PatrickUK, some days I am ok with where I am and the choices that I have made. I have to remember that some of the choices were made as an uneducated youth. By uneducated I don't mean book smart, just uneducated about life. I think that if there was such a thing as the internet and a place like EC my youth would have been much different. I have to remember that having a parent that was mental (some degree of narcissism I am sure) was out of my control. My therapist has taught me how to control the storm when I feel it coming. For the most part I can. Sometimes it is just overwhelming.....