1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is your knowledge of the location of countries/places?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vega222, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting! You're right. This region is extremely unknown and that's exactly why I was kinda surprised.

Haha. You're good. But let me add my personal opinion/info.

The 1953 incident is probably the most controversial incident in Iran's history. I am on the Shah's side. Also, I am originally from a village. But you can't find many regime supporters among my relatives. I guess only 5-10 percent of Iranians support these cavemen. The people used to be very moderate to these aliens, But not anymore.

#21 Vega222, Dec 17, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  2. LetsGoNow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Interesting you supported to the Shah. Any particular reasons?

3. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have no speciality on this matter and forgot what I've read. :slight_smile:) And I don't think Shah was a saint and PM Mosaddegh was evil.

First PM Mosaddegh was not that democrat. He seemingly clung to the power. Ex. Look at the elections held by his administration. "During the 1952 election he stopped the voting process after enough MPs were elected to form a parliamentary quorum (79 out of 136).[2] The decision is viewed as manipulation, because PM Mosaddegh meant to prevent opposition candidates taking seat from rural areas."

About 3 months before the 1953 incident, the parliament impeached the PM, But his supporters in the parliament resigned from their seats to make it under the quorum. So there could be no meeting in the parliament. Then the PM tried to annul the parliament by holding a referendum. In the referendum, the ballot boxes for No and Yes votes were in separate places (no secret anonymous ballot). They said 99.9% voted yes to annulling the parliament. So, the PM did whatever he could to stay in power.

This is a very brief background of the 1953 incident. Of course Shah did his wrongs too. But I prefer his moderate consistent monarchy to someone who is more liberal and probably led the country to some anarchy (unwantedly).

The liberal PM also leaned toward the pro-Soviet parties and they could snatch the power from him later. These current mullahs that we have now in Iran are some liberal pacifists in comparing to those authoritarian communist things. So it was dangerous.

There were no such a thing called democracy at that time, by current standards. There was some form of democracy but too many flaws. Shah and Mosaddegh both were good men imo. Both were patriot, These current mullahs and the communists not patriot at all. But I am glad during the 1979 revolution, authoritarian mullahs cleansed authoritarian communists and not vice versa. :nerd:

PS Look how much you made me to type. :grin:

#23 Vega222, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been called a walking encyclopedia a few times. I don't mind it. There are people like this and I enjoy their company, and some people who aren't like this like having them around. It's when people think it's weird that I'm taken aback. It's interesting stuff.

I noticed the savant comment. Nothing wrong with zeroing in on things that interest you - for whatever reason. I remember facts and dates. I go to a doctor and I remember when I've had any medical procedures, medications I've taken, the dosage, and more. My aim is to make taking care of me as patient easier for the doctor. The doctor knows that I go to trivia a couple of times a month. He's not a psychologist or a psychiatrist, but when I first established care, he put in the ambulatory summary that I might have OCD. You need more than that to make a diagnosis. Most of them seem to be condescending snobs. I really think most of them chose it for the money. That's why I do my best to stay healthy. People can lean further in on that spectrum, but may not qualify for an OCD diagnosis.

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, I'm definitely OCD (been tested), as well as ADD, and God knows how many other acronyms lol

Have also wondered if I'm on the "spectrum" which would explain a lot of things

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I have about average map knowledge. I could point to the general area of many countries.

However, otherwise my spatial sense is absolutely awful (things like driving directions, looking at a more detailed map - even for my city lol).

7. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Practically non-existent.