1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is your knowledge of the location of countries/places?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vega222, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I mean, Is it even considered important for you?

I've been into maps since my childhood. And I can't think about somewhere without knowing its place on the map. I probably can draw the map of most countries in the world or at least tell their place roughly. I can't imagine how people live and die without knowing where significant places of the world are placed, how distant/close they are, etc.
    They always talk and talk about them without even looking at a map. I wonder how.

#1 Vega222, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  2. Andrew7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh no, this is actually a huge weakness of mine :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I won't elaborate into how bad it is xD

Personally, I'm not too worried about it since I can Google any information I need at any time. I might boost my knowledge of it for Japan's places sometime though since I have an interest in the country.

3. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I especially wanted to know about the knowledge of people's own country. :slight_smile:))
    What currently do you know about Japan? I don't know much either. I want to read its history and learn Japanese.

4. Andrew7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Most of my knowledge is regarding the Japanese language itself, but still a beginner / early intermediate I'm hoping to learn a lot more about Japan than just the language at some point though.
    Lets just say, in the future I'm likely to know more about Japans regions than my own with little invested effort :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting. So you're not that boring I guess. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I am currently too busy for that and have to prioritise things in favor of my career. But I'll pursue Japanese soon.

Ah, I am sure your country is worth it too. :slight_smile:)) I read a book called A history of Britain this year. It's a series of 3 books. Two remains.
    It mentioned many places, people, etc. Satisfying. I like to know more about Japan and UK/Ireland for now.

#5 Vega222, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  6. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I collect postage stamps and postcards so it's taught me a lot about geography. I find it to be really interesting. I even have some old stamps from countries that no longer exist.

7. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents and friends call me an encyclopedia of useless facts. I love history, geography and anything culture related, so I ended up learning the names of all the countries, major regions of the world, their capital cities, the flags and facts about each country. In a day-to-day, daily scenario however, all of this is almost useless. Bringing up these things in polite conversation can be hard and I've already bored my parents and friends to death over random facts. :slight_smile:

8. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The stamps must be beautiful...
    Flags. :slight_smile:) Yeah I know the flag of many countries too.

I see. :slight_smile:)) That's what my friend would say when we were students (general knowledge is not very useful). He seemed like a live encyclopedia too. Now he is a web developer living in Europe. A big success.
    Maybe becoming a writer can help us using these information. :slight_smile:))

9. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

I get lost in the supermarket. Take me out of my village and I have no idea where I am let alone where other countries are lol

10. Loves books

I could name the continent’s if I was shown a map. I know where the UK and Ireland are. I know Italy looks like a boot and that the toe of the boot is near Sicily. Past that I know nothing. I can’t even name all the counties of Ireland and I don’t need to know. I’m not great with maps, It took me 9 whole months to realise that the building I couldn’t find using a map, where I had one class a week, was a building I walked past every day. The college probably assumed given the fact they had maps up everywhere you could find the building next door.

11. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :slight_smile:)) Actually I am terrible in remembering addresses too. I guess it's not that important to remember that street or bank, etc.

And why do you know more about Italy? You chose to know about Italy or maybe it was taught in religious classes? I think that's quite reasonable to not care about useless information. Personally, I am very curious about these things and enjoy it. Also not knowing such things about the world makes me feel like blind, a bit nervous and unsure.

#11 Vega222, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  12. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do intend on starting a travel/history blog one day. :slight_smile:

#12 Ram90, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  13. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I see. Good luck...
    I meant also some novels maybe. Because having general knowledge is very useful for writing a novel.

14. LetsGoNow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Geography is actually a strength of mine. I am familiar with different countries and cultures.

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In most areas I am clueless but in others I'm a savant (like Central Asia)

16. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

me too! I have an address book but I keep losing it lol

17. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Geography has always been a strong-suit of mine. I did after all win a regional Geography Bee back in middle school. :wink:

I am not as well-traveled as I would like to be, but I've spent a lot of time perusing maps and reading about the wider world. I'm confident I could hold my own in a geography trivia contest today.

18. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's great.
    What do you know about my country? :grin:

Why Central Asia? I like Central Asia because of huge similarities in language and culture with some of those countries.

Maybe we'd make good friends? :thinking::sweat_smile: I'd challenge you to draw the world's map with countries' borders and their capital cities. :smirk:

#18 Vega222, Dec 17, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good question! I basically went down the steppe nomad rabbit hole, and quite like how they're basically an amalgamation of many different cultures, something Americans should be able to relate to. And... lets just say we share a few genetic ancestors (along with Siberia/North Asia)

I'm also a bit of a hipster and enjoy feeling like I've found some hidden treasure, because, seriously, how many people can even tell you where a place like Kyrgyzstan is?? Perhaps I'll get to see it before it gets the chance to become a popular tourist destination, like has happened to so many other countries...

20. LetsGoNow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well Iran has been through many changes. I believe there was a democracy in 1953, which got overthrown. Then the Shah of Iran was imposed until 1979, which got overthrown by the Islamic Republic. The language spoken is Farsi.

Some people mistaken Iranian culture with Arab culture. They both are very different. Right now you get some regions of Iran that are very supportive of the current Islamic government (probably those in the rural areas) while those near the Urban areas/middle class are not so supportive.

Dolma is one of the main dishes I can think of right now.