1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning Gender in Adulthood

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by myrrhdock, Dec 6, 2020.

1. myrrhdock

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone. I'm 25(F?), and I've been questioning my gender on and off for a couple of years. I'm completely out as a lesbian, and some people know I ID'd as demigirl, but something about that doesn't feel right.

I haven't hated living as a female, but something has always felt off. Idk how else to explain it. When I came out as lesbian, I cut my hair short and started dressing more masc. I felt at home, like it was what I was supposed to be doing all along, but stopped because of comments from my family. I gave chest binding a try a few days ago out of curiosity, and it felt so good in a way I don't even know how to describe. I know it's not entirely accurate, but I used FaceApp to see what I'd potentially look like as a guy, and wanted to cry happy tears. I thought, "yes, that's right". I'm not really sure where to go from here, or if it's nothing and I'm just being dramatic. Maybe I'm really just a masculine lesbian and I should forget about all of this.

Idk, I'm just very confused right now.

Daddio likes this.
  2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're questioning your gender, the best thing you can do right now is to experiment. If you have supportive friends or family who you feel comfortable experimenting with, you could ask them to call you a different name and pronouns. You can start there and see how it feels to be referred to as a guy. Other things you can try if you haven't already is start getting more masculine clothes as well.

I want to add that if you're able to, I highly recommend seeking a therapist, they'll also help you to organize your thoughts.

#2 Hawk, Dec 6, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    Raisinsss and QuietPeace like this.
  3. itsjusthim

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey,

I just came upon your thread, I'm in the same position as you. I'm a lesbian, completely out have been since being young.

I've always known something isn't right, I've always felt different. I don't fully like my chest however for me it's more I really wish I had a *cough* you know what. I'm really at a crossroads in my life where I know I need to face what is really going on in my head but I'm so scared.

So yeah, I thought I would look around to meet people in the same position as me, people who need help to understand, as I do, and hope to make more sense of something that is so fricking confusing and hard! I hope you don't mind me reaching out.

I wanted to sign off using my name but I don't know what that is anymore!

4. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    That sounds a lot like me some years ago. I stuffed some small towels down my shirt, though.

You can always play around and experiment with different names you might like. And if you change your mind about that name, you can always try another name.

Try this thread, for example

5. Raisinsss

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Just try things out. See how you feel using different pronouns. Experiment with looks. Have fun with it. Remember, it's okay to ask explore your identity. It's healthy in fact.
    Best wishes.