1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do with too many browser tabs?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Vega222, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As a novice developer, I have to do huge researches constantly and it results in having a scary amount of open tabs. I can't close them and I have to switch to them again and again. So, It's overwhelming.

I think I should group my open tabs. Anyone here has a solution that is being used by them themselves and is good?

I use Opera browser, but most of chrome extensions also work for it.

2. Andrew7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Multiple monitors can help. And or using an Ultrawide monitor. Since I first started using an ultrawide monitor several years back I've never wanted to use a 16:9 monitor again.

34" is a good size for an Ultrawide, you'll be able to view a lot more tabs within the monitor window. Ideally a 34" with at least 3440x1440 resolution.

I'm currently using a 49" Super Ultrawide @ 5120x1440, a 34" Ultrawide @ 3440x1440 and a 29" Ultrawide in portrait mode at 1080x2560.

I use tons of tabs, and don't generally run into problems.

Which operating system do you use?

3. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting and pricy too. :slight_smile:)

But isn't a 49" too big?
    I currently use a 18.5" and even an affordable 27" inch may cost a few months of my salary. :slight_smile:)
    I use Windows 10.

What's your job? I am a web developer.

Actually, I managed to solve this by using Opera's Workspace feature. It makes my browsing and work easier.
    Made 3 different workspace, And I can switch between them very easily. That suits me well for now.

4. Andrew7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Some people feel like 49" is too big, but I think it's perfect, because it's an Ultrawide it's easier to view compared to a 16:9 49". I am into software development as well.

It sounds like monitors cost more where you are. I had to get rid of a lot of 17" monitors awhile back, and the recycle place near me wouldn't even take working monitors for free if they weren't at least 19 inch.

The workspace feature sounds useful. In addition to that, you could try add more desktops on windows 10. In the The task view button on the taskbar (near the search & start menu) lets you add more desktops. After that, you can quickly switch between them with Control + Windows + Left / Right Arrow key. It's extra good on a multi monitor setup. It can help you more effectively manage your screen real estate by grouping windows by theme.

E.g. maybe you only use certain windows on break or have other non work windows like music open, you can put them on another desktop for easy access; or maybe you have a bunch of project management type windows open and want to separate them from the development based windows. You can quickly switch between desktops to access the different grouped open windows without having them bloat your main work windows. Would recommend trying it out sometime.

5. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No worries. As I get better in my job, my salary will rise and I can buy a 24 or 27 inch for the sake of my eyes.
    Thanks. I'll try that too. Yeah, Your guesses are kinda correct. But I am not that big yet. So, Not much of a project. :slight_smile:) But it gets crowded a bit, So, Maybe that task view thing can help.

What kind of software do you do? :slight_smile:) Well, Your options are mostly limited to web development here. I am into ASP Net and will cling to it I guess. For now, My job is WordPress.

#5 Vega222, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  6. Andrew7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    A lot of applications involving C#, my favourite language, some of them being game development stuff.

The web development world seems like a good area to be focused in these days, lots of potential there.

A Monitor sounds like a good thing to save up for, a bigger monitor can really enhance your experience, perhaps even more than a new computer would depending on your setup.

7. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Great.

I think I'll probably buy a laptop first. My desktop pc is fine but a bit old and also not portable.

Thanks...

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a chronic multi-tabber, I have come to adore OneTab. It's a plug-in for Firefox (probably also for Chrome, but I don't use that so don't know for sure). OneTab takes all of your tabs and turns them into links that are stored on a single page. You can just click the link and the tab is restored. Saves memory, and allows you to keep a permanent history of your tabs. Also good with privacy; doesn't store any info on any central source, it's all local to your browser.

9. Andrew7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nice, looks pretty useful, will try it out.