1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disabilities

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by solarcat, Nov 26, 2020.

1. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I've been thinking about people with disabilities lately, and how they're viewed by the general public, and by disabled people themselves.

Like, I was born with a condition that mostly affects my appearance, but also makes it hard for me to hear, so I wear hearing aids. While this is a condition that would be covered by the Americans With Disabilities Act, I really don't like to call myself disabled since I'm still perfectly capable of doing most other things. I've also never liked the terms "handicapable" or "differently abled"; they just sound kind of patronizing to me.

But I see a tendency for people to look down on the disabled community, to pity them, and to underestimate them.

Personally, I've never gotten this pity, but it's pretty hard to tell by looking at me that I'm hard of hearing. But I do get the invasive questions about my appearance, like "What happened to your face!?" as if that's any of their business.

Meanwhile, I've never heard a disabled person ask for pity. I'll hear them talk about their struggles, but the abled community seems to think that disabled people are constantly suffering, and unable to take care of themselves...

2. Loves books

I have a physical disability that is degenerative so it’s only getting worse and eventually I won’t be able to move. The words handicapable or differently abled really annoy me. There’s nothing I can do that other people can’t and I am literally un able to do things they can do. I m independent and take care of myself. I live with my parents but I’m living on social welfare and there’s a global pandemic. My dad passed on the condition and is a scary representation of my future. It starts earlier in each generation.My disability is currently invisible which can be a problem. I’m unable to stand still for more than a minute or two without feeling faint. I’m fine if I’m moving. A woman once started berating me on a bus because I stayed sitting in a seat for the disabled or elderly when an older woman boarded the bus. I would have fought the issue but my mother was against it. I ended up sitting on the stairs. I cant stand on a bus I have very little grip strength and end up falling on strangers laps. My condition comes with a long list of irritating symptoms and I’m dreading the day I can no longer care for myself. I have gone on camps for people with muscular conditions. They treat me less abled than I am. It’s odd to be talked down to by someone younger than you. Also my muscles are wasting away but my brain is fine, don’t treat me like I’m slow. I don’t spend time each day thinking my disability. I’m currently more worried about would it be weird if I asked the hairdresser to not dry my hair because most hairdressers burn my head and I don’t think I could take the heat with a mask. Should I get my dog the standard groom or pay more for them to torture her more. I need help opening jars or bottles sometimes but I really want a holiday and COVID is not only preventing me from going anywhere, it’s trying to stop my sister from flying home for Christmas. I don’t want or need pity. Pity my friends with a worse condition that I’ll never see again.

3. LetsGoNow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't view myself as disabled.

I do have dyslexia/aspergers/dyspraxia/auditory processing disorder.

They were weaknesses, but now they are strengths.

I realised that if I focus on overcoming an obstacle, I can get so good at it that I'm better than the average person in that particular area.

4. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

I have a genetic connective tissue disease so I live in chronic pain with a lot of issues. My spine is messed up too because of it. The list is endless but my sense of humour is still there!!!!